• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap) Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap) Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap)

So are the Marlins legit in the eyes of baseball fans everywhere now? Sweeping the top of Arizona's rotation and allowing only 3 runs to the 4th best offense in the league is pretty impressive, especially beating Webb without Hanley.

I know I'm starting to believe in them.

So are the Marlins legit in the eyes of baseball fans everywhere now? Sweeping the top of Arizona's rotation and allowing only 3 runs to the 4th best offense in the league is pretty impressive, especially beating Webb without Hanley.

I know I'm starting to believe in them.

Very impressive series for your guys, Chris. :cheers

Eight in a row for the boys in black. I hope I didn't just jinx it.

That's alright. Now that I've publicly stated that I think the Marlins are legit, they are going to get swept by the Giants.

That's alright. Now that I've publicly stated that I think the Marlins are legit, they are going to get swept by the Giants.

:cheekkiss I miss you bobbob

:cheekkiss I miss you bobbob

:cheekkiss

Next time you are in Florida, tell them that Orlando is lame and that Miami is better, alright?

Side Note:

Damn, I still can't believe Bonds isn't playing right now. I would love for the Marlins to sign him and stick him in left field.

AND THE SOX WON ANOTHER ONE (so my posting about it on a semi-obscure, alt-country band's web site didn't jinx it :lol)

And bobbob, I hope to get to Miami.... we do have customers there.

Work will force me to miss the next two marlins games. My god daughter's baptism will cause me to miss the one on Sunday.

Man. Guess I'll do something I've never done before and DVR them and avoid any word about them until I can watch it.

Damn, I still can't believe Bonds isn't playing right now. I would love for the Marlins to sign him and stick him in left field.

I'm not surprised at all. What owner in his right mind would welcome the utter mess that Bonds brings with him?

Someone will sign Bonds in July or August. He's worth it for a team that is teetering close to making the playoffs, but he carries too hefty a pricetag and too much baggage for a whole season if it turns out that the team isn't going anywhere anyway.

Someone will sign Bonds in July or August. He's worth it for a team that is teetering close to making the playoffs, but he carries too hefty a pricetag and too much baggage for a whole season if it turns out that the team isn't going anywhere anyway.

Which team(s) do you think would actually pick him up? Would Bonds even play for a reasonable price?

A team may pick him up mid-/late- season but I would not be surprised if he's played his last MLB game.

If Oakland or Tampa Bay are still in the hunt in late July, I think both of them are good candidates to go after Bonds -- especially Tampa who supposedly considered signing him in the offseason. If Matt Joyce slows down and Sheffield works out okay in leftfield then I don't think its impossible that the Tigers might try to sign him too (also assuming that they work their way back into the playoff hunt before then). I'd be surprised if he ended up back in the National League.

I guess I wouldn't be too horribly surprised if no one signs him, but I think the potential upside to signing him could be too great for some teams that find themselves in better positions than they'd expected. No one would want him long term this point, but his skills are still enough at this point to make him very valuable to the right team. He made some enemies in the clubhouse in SF, but that was over time. I think that any team that had a chance to go somewhere would be willing to deal with him for a couple months.

No doubt his bat could likely lend help to a contending team (likely as a DH in the AL) but I just don't see a team willing to sacrifice what he would likely take away from a contending team in terms of the circus that both follows him and is him. I would think he would be more of a distraction and hinderance, even for a short stint, than an asset. There very well may be owners/GMs willing to take that risk, though.

I think his negatives are far (Far, far, far) outweighed by his positives, mostly because I don't believe in the whole chemistry/distraction thing.

You don't believe that the constant media zoo and focus on his allegations and other issues affects other players/staff?

As to chemistry, I've read/listened to plenty of professional MLBers/MLB staff who can attest to it.

Wouldn't Bonds be playing somewhere right now if his positives outweighed his negatives?

Everyone loves winning. If Barry Bonds joins a team and they go on a 10 game winning streak, everyone will be all smiles. If he joins a team and they go on a 10 game losing streak, everyone will be all grumbles.

I've said it numerous times, but didn't Reggie Jackson punch his manager the year they won a World Series? Didn't Jeff Kent and Bonds get into a fight the year they made a world series? Winning breeds chemistry, not the other way around. These are grown men who are paid millions of dollars to play a game. If they play poorly, it isn't because Barry Bonds won't slap five with them.

And I really don't think the media zoo would affect the other players all that much, no. If anything, as it gets later on in the season, it might be nice for all of the attention to be on one player, especially if that player is still really good at hitting baseballs. Take the pressure off of you and put it on your teammate who is still a top 10 offensive threat? I'll take that.

As to your last point: that doesn't really have anything to do with it, since his "negatives" are intangibles that each team has to justify for themselves. It's all based on opinions and feelings (which is rather dumb, imo). I think he'll help on the field, and all of the other stuff is horse crap. In my opinion. If GMs disagree with me, oh well. But if there's an impact bat like his as a FA, it doesn't make sense to not sign him unless you are more concerned with your team's image than with winning. Barrold will help you win baseball games. If you put stock into intangibles, then you might think he'll not help you win. I don't really believe that stuff has an effect, so I think he's a great addition to almost any team.