• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't get how rooting for any team that is in the top 5 in baseball payroll is like rooting for an underdog. Because they have inferiority complexes from being in the Yankees shadow?

"Marv Throneberry."

There are tons of things that can affect a team's W/L, mostly luck.

I don't think I ever said luck is the thing that mostly affects a team's w/l.

Let's agree that 100 games doesn't tell us much and that everyone's in it, and it's gonna be a fun summer. Looking forward to more arguing around here with you. May the best team win. (W/L record, I mean :) )

I meant, of course, relative to their Pythagoreon W/L, but I understand where the confusion could have come in.

*May the team with the best W/L record at the end of the season win the world series, unless they happen to wear blue, orange, or red as part of their uniform. In which case, they should lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Fixed it for you ;)

As a lifelong Brewers fan, I snort at the idea that rooting for the Mets or Red Sox, two teams that are usually competitive, has an underdog appeal. If the Red Sox are underdogs, then what do we call the Brewers after 25 years of total ineptitude? Lepers?

As a lifelong Brewers fan, I snort at the idea that rooting for the Mets or Red Sox, two teams that are usually competitive, has an underdog appeal. If the Red Sox are underdogs, then what do we call the Brewers after 25 years of total ineptitude? Lepers?

I love that stadium you guys have up there. I had a blast there.

As a lifelong Mets fan, I can understand why you'd snort at the idea, but the Mets have won 1 world series since 1970. That's almost 40 years. Yes, it is true that over the last 15 years they have spent a tremendous amount of money (poorly) and it's hard to think of them as an underdog. But over their history they have traditionally been a pretty hapless organization that could not get out of its own way, or the shadow of the Yanks (or Dodgers or Giants for that matter).

You are right though -- as a fan of the Brewers, I am sure you'd very quickly sign up for competitive every year as an option if you could.

*May the team with the best W/L record at the end of the season win the world series, unless they happen to wear blue, orange, or red as part of their uniform. In which case, they should lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Fixed it for you ;)

:cheers

I'm not sure their ineptitude makes them an underdog. This is why I don't feel bad for Cubs fans either.

And I don't expect people to feel bad for Marlins fans every time management tears the team apart. We know the drill by now, we can stop rooting for them whenever we want.

I'm not sure their ineptitude makes them an underdog. This is why I don't feel bad for Cubs fans either.

I feel bad for fans of any team that face the very real possibility of literally living and dying without ever winning a World Series. Cubs mismanagement doesnt change the fact that as a fan, I can only imagine what that must feel like, and I feel bad for them. And I'd root for the Brewers or Cubs if they made the World Series. Certainly against a team that has won (fairly) recently.

As a rule, I root for NL teams when they make it to the world series anyways, and would do so for the Brewers and Cubs. I would have to think long and hard about the Phillies, Mets, and Braves, though.

I'm not sure their ineptitude makes them an underdog.

It does when ineptitude on the field is largely related to size of market. Milwaukee will never have access to resources and revenue comparable to New York or Chicago. Right now we're in a good stretch, but once these young players are due the big payday, things will most likely unravel. In a market like Milwaukee, success is very difficult to sustain for any length of time.

The comparison to the Cubs is ridiculous. The Cubs have the ability to be among baseball's top spenders year in and year out; Milwaukee does not.

It does when ineptitude on the field is largely related to size of market. Milwaukee will never have access to resources and revenue comparable to New York or Chicago. Right now we're in a good stretch, but once these young players are due the big payday, things will most likely unravel. In a market like Milwaukee, success is very difficult to sustain for any length of time.

The comparison to the Cubs is ridiculous. The Cubs have the ability to be among baseball's top spenders year in and year out; Milwaukee does not.

I was referring to the Mets, mostly. The Brewers are underdogs, but I suppose you could say that for almost any midwestern team.

I can relate to the trouble sustaining success long term. It kind of looks like the Marlins are poised to be successful for a while, but it all depends on if ownership is willing to use profits from the stadium on the team and if people actually come out.

There is definitely an underdog mentality amongst Met and Red Sox fans, and it might've been deserved 10-15 years ago, but they've gotta understand it's obnoxious to the rest of the world.

There is definitely an underdog mentality amongst Met and Red Sox fans, and it might've been deserved 10-15 years ago, but they've gotta understand it's obnoxious to the rest of the world.

red sox fans are in identity-crisis mode. i see it. i see it up close. i am one. oh the tragedy!

You want Babe Ruth pictures? I gotcha Babe Ruth pictures right here!

FABulous pics!!! what a treat. it took 30 minutes to look at 3 pages; you can't just skim. more browsing time to look forward to. thank you!

Apparently the Braves have been scouting the Marlins AAA team real hard. This is interesting, because Dallas McPherson is the only person worth a damn down there, and he leads the entire minor leagues with 33 home runs.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
FABulous pics!!! what a treat. it took 30 minutes to look at 3 pages; you can't just skim. more browsing time to look forward to. thank you!

A dumb observation, but in looking at those pics, such elegant handwriting by the Babe and other players. Obviously using a fountain pen of some sort (and not a Sharpie). To these guys, they can't possibly thing "There's $10 bucks" every time they sign their name, yet a throwaway autograph takes enough time to be legible.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Is your point that wins in 1 run games are "luck"? Why?

While myriad factors can be involved, I would say the most likely reason a team consistently wins 1-run games is their bullpen, in that they keep you in games until your offense can scratch out a run.

The other reason is in many cases 1-run games are won in the bottom of the 9th or extra innings -- there's no need to score more runs, nor is there the opportunity to extend a lead.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Should be a cracking division title race, eh chums? All three teams have their strengths and weaknesses and fate may well intervene.

I was looking across the standings today, the Angels are the only team that isn't either tied or 1 game in from it's nearest competitor. In most divisions its plausibly a 3-team race.

In the words of Flounder: "Oh boy, is this gonna be great!"

I was looking across the standings today, the Angels are the only team that isn't either tied or 1 game in from it's nearest competitor. In most divisions its plausibly a 3-team race.

In the words of Flounder: "Oh boy, is this gonna be great!"

Though the NL West is also tight like all the others (AL Central is also a little more spread, but not like the AL West) the NL West is most likely the worst of all the divisions. I mean, the leading team is under .500. Seriously.