As to your last point: that doesn't really have anything to do with it, since his "negatives" are intangibles that each team has to justify for themselves. It's all based on opinions and feelings (which is rather dumb, imo). I think he'll help on the field, and all of the other stuff is horse crap. In my opinion. If GMs disagree with me, oh well. But if there's an impact bat like his as a FA, it doesn't make sense to not sign him unless you are more concerned with your team's image than with winning. Barrold will help you win baseball games. If you put stock into intangibles, then you might think he'll not help you win. I don't really believe that stuff has an effect, so I think he's a great addition to almost any team.

What's intangible about requiring more money than you are worth? Skill and/or distraction-wise? Maybe that is intangible, I don't know.

I believe that intangibles factor into many areas of the game, though. Again, collectively owners are saying he isn't worth the hassle. Whether this changes mid-season remains to be seen.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his negatives are far (Far, far, far) outweighed by his positives, mostly because I don't believe in the whole chemistry/distraction thing.

What positives? The guy hasn't faced live pitching since last fall. He'll be 44 years old in July. His knee is for shit. He's facing a perjury trial. He's a clubhouse cancer. He's a media circus that no one really wants to bring into their clubhouse, especially if they're playing well enough to be in a pennant race.

I don't see why anyone would be willing to put up with all the baggage that comes with Bonds if their team is playing well. If a team is not playing well, then maybe he'd sell a few tickets near the end of the season -- but possibly not enough to offset the ridiculous amount you'd have to pay him.

What's intangible about requiring more money than you are worth? Skill and/or distraction-wise?

Also, I believe that intangibles factor into many areas of the game. Again, collectively owners are saying he isn't worth the hassle. Whether this changes mid-season remains to be seen.

Well, actually, that is extremely intangible, inasmuch as a player's salary is entirely based on your own perception of his worth. How much is his skill worth?

How much is the league's best OBP and 6th best OPS worth to you? He'd probably get about 350 plate appearances from here on out, but even then, I'd give him 5 million for the rest of the year.

How much do his distractions take away? Honestly, I don't know. Is it his fault that he was the only Giant last year that was even marginally above average? Their offense is essentially the same this year, mostly because the loss of Bonds was offset by a decent Fred Lewis in LF and a huge improvement in CF production courtesy of Rowand. But of the players that Bonds played with last year, none has seen a marked improvement in production. If he's such a distraction, shouldn't everyone be playing better now that he's gone?

Or, is Barry Bonds such a prick that he's actually caused Barry Zito's ERA to go up 2 runs just be leaving the team? Shit, this guy's worse than even you thought.

What positives? The guy hasn't faced live pitching since last fall. He'll be 44 years old in July. His knee is for shit. He's facing a perjury trial. He's a clubhouse cancer. He's a media circus that no one really wants to bring into their clubhouse, especially if they're playing well enough to be in a pennant race.

Live pitching: Well, he was awesome last year, so I can't see him falling off that much. He's still got an amazing eye, so no matter what, he's going to walk.

44. He was 43 last year.

Knees. Yeah, they aren't very good. He was still not even one of the 5 worst LFers last year.

The perjury trial is most likely being pushed back to after the season because they probably have to refile charges. Strike that one.

How is he a clubhouse cancer? Probable racist Jeff Kent is just about the only player I've ever heard of who had problems with Bonds in the clubhouse? Or is he a clubhouse cancer because he has a lounge chair? So, strike that one.

Media circus? Eh, that could be a positive if it takes attention away from the rest of the team.

Look, Barry Bonds is a dick, probably a cheater, and certainly not a good dinner guest. That said, from a purely on the field stand point, it makes a lot of sense for a team that is just short of contending to give him a try.

Well, actually, that is extremely intangible, inasmuch as a player's salary is entirely based on your own perception of his worth. How much is his skill worth?

How much is the league's best OBP and 6th best OPS worth to you? He'd probably get about 350 plate appearances from here on out, but even then, I'd give him 5 million for the rest of the year.

Or, is Barry Bonds such a prick that he's actually caused Barry Zito's ERA to go up 2 runs just be leaving the team? Shit, this guy's worse than even you thought.

Ha, I actually amended my comment prior to your post realizing the error.

Either way, Barry Bonds' talent ( enhanced through cheating or otherwise) does not currently validate his worth to any team in MLB, for whatever reason you want to give it.

I think it's safe to say that intangibles and/or chemistry might mean more to a team that can actually afford his price tag right now than you give credit for.

Bonds's possible salary demands are the only reason a team fighting for a playoff spot should consider not signing him.

I believe that chemistry exists so much as yeah, I guess anyone who is putting a team together is going to want his guys to be happy enough in the clubhouse to not demand to be traded or something. But no, I don't think it has much, if any, effect on a team's performance on the field, and no one going to demand a trade while the team is winning. There are a ton of legendary assholes in baseball's history who have won all sorts of championships. Perhaps their teammates hated them, I don't know, but obviously it didn't hurt the team too much.

anyone want a Griffey or a Dunn ? for FREE ?

I feel sad about Junior. He would be closing on 800, if only.

I have managed to successfully avoid hearing the score of the Marlins game, so I can watch it now on DVR. No commercials!

This is such a huge deal because the Marlins are so ubiquitous in the media.

I have managed to successfully avoid hearing the score of the Marlins game, so I can watch it now on DVR. No commercials!

This is such a huge deal because the Marlins are so ubiquitous in the media.

So much for that. We made Barry Zito 08 look like Barry Zito 02.

So, my man Joolian has opted for free agency after all.

bummer. I mean, i was hoping the sox would package him as part of a sweet deal, and that JT was going to Pawtucket just to wait it out, but I guess he either got a different message from the front office, or got impatient.

Has he cured cancer yet? Because Jack Cust has, twice.

I bet he hasn't.

"Hopefully, we can get hot at home," manager Willie Randolph said after losing to Colorado on Sunday. "We've got the Marlins coming in, [we can] fatten up on them, hopefully, if we start rolling and then L.A. after that...."

Lol @ Willie.