Yikes. Wasn't he the DRays opening day starter once?

RIP

I may be wrong but I think the furthest he got with TB was as a number 2 starter. He did, however, throw the pitch that shattered Sammy Sosa's corked bat.

A disturbing piece of trivia:

"Gonzalez is the third ex-Rays pitcher to die in the last 19 months. Cory Lidle was killed in an October 2006 plane crash and Joe Kennedy died last November of natural causes."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Bjorn. This is pretty much it, right? If the Mets don't sweep this series, Willie's gotta be gone.

If the Marlins can take 2 out of 3, I'll be convinced they are legit. Big series both ways, huh?

Well, they say you should wait until Memorial Day to make any pronouncements about a baseball team, so pronounce away. It seems one lousy win in Colorado has derailed the "Fire Willie" express, but if the team continues to look like crap against the Marlins and the Dodgers, maybe it will get chugging again.

Maybe the Marlins are making them look like crap, eh?

Marlins and Rays have the best records in baseball. Man, I'd love a Sunshine State series, but that's getting way too far ahead of myself.

And man, the Mets just look mopey out there on the field. Man up and play some ball, boys.

Maybe the Marlins are making them look like crap, eh?

Marlins and Rays have the best records in baseball. Man, I'd love a Sunshine State series, but that's getting way too far ahead of myself.

heard today that the marlins starting pitching has an era over 5, and they lead the N.L. in errors.

must be getting timely hits and a great bullpen?

heard today that the marlins starting pitching has an era over 5, and they lead the N.L. in errors.

must be getting timely hits and a great bullpen?

Pen's 3rd best ERA in the majors. Pirates have more errors. Starters have an ERA of about 3.5 in May. Only outperforming their Pythagoreon W/L by 2 or 3 games at this point. They are looking less and less flukey as their pitching has improved over the last month.

So as Jay Bruce and Clayton Kershaw, arguably the top hitting and pitching prospects in baseball, make their ways up from the minors, I thought it was a good time to bring up something I read recently in Bill James' 2008 handbook:

According to him, there has never been as much good young talent in the history of the league as now.

"We are sitting in a historic bubble of young talent," James says. "Arguably there is more outstanding young talent around right now than at any other moment in baseball history."

James points out, however, that evaluating the best young talent is "a deceptively tricky question, in that it requires us to combine two unlike factors--youth and talent--into one measurement."

To achieve his inventory, James first defined "young talent" as all players who were younger than 29 years old in 2007. Then he used two widely used statistics--"Runs Created" for position players and "Runs Allowed" for pitchers--as the basis for comparison. However, James made several adjustments and then took into account how many years the player has left before he is 33 years old.

Making James' list of the top 25 young players in order were:

Prince Fielder, Milwaukee Brewers first baseman, age 23

Hanley Ram

Watching Braves/Brewers and who do i see sittin' in the bullpen? How about one crazy batshit Joolian Tavarez! Good Luck to him--hope they appreciate him! Now that the Brewers have Gabe Kapler AND Joolian, I might need to make a pilgramage...

Mets surpass Knicks at doctoring attendance figures

BY FILIP BONDY

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 12:01 PM

Torrie/News

There has been a lot more orange lately at Shea than the Mets seem willing to report.

Congratulations to the Mets, who successfully have taken over the lead in New York for fabricating attendance figures.

This was no easy accomplishment, because the Knicks have been piping numbers for several years now, pretending they had a string of sellouts when there were tickets available at the window and empty seats galore. The James Dolan era has produced more imaginary spectators than any in memory.

But now, the Mets have been adding pretend fans in tens of thousands, each and every night. At their last two games, announced attendances of 51,489 and 47,093 weren

So tonight in this game, Luis Castillo, Endy Chavez and Aflredo Amezaga have homered. That's like 4 homers total on the season, 3 of them tonight.

And Mike Rabelo hit his 2nd. Kind of funny.

Tough loss, especially going into Philly where they can't stop hitting the ball.

But I'm not worried, the Marlins aren't so bad at the plate either. I have long dreams about how many home runs our team would hit in their park full time.