the Hold Steady - Stay Positive

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very great record... would say i'm enjoying it a tad less on initial listens than the previous 3, but it's early

definitely not quite as anthemic and there's 2-3 songs i'm just not digging much at all yet, but plenty of awesomeness indeed.

It's pretty freaking terrific. Like I said, it's going to take a while to absorb the lyrics, but if I'm enjoyign it this much without the lyrics being absorbed, it can only get better.

I really love the album. Not as great as BAGIA, but it's probably my 2nd favorite Hold Steady album. I really hate Navy Sheets, but songs like Magazines, Yeah Sapphire, Constructive Summer, and Lord I'm Discouraged are just classic.

Is it the cheesy ELP synth?

Besides that, the song is just a total mess in almost every regard (The bridge is pretty cool). Plus, I think the lyrics are mostly throw-away one liners. In general, it's definitely the Same Kooks of this album, except without a bitchin' organ solo

i'd have to agree w/ you... definitely a total mess, but the cheesey synth doesn't help

not big on One For The Cutters (mostly the harpsichord) or Both Crosses really either. the latter at least has good lyrics.

i'd have to agree w/ you... definitely a total mess, but the cheesey synth doesn't help

not big on One For The Cutters (mostly the harpsichord) or Both Crosses really either. the latter at least has good lyrics.

Once you get past the awkward harpsichord opening, One for the Cutters is actually really great, especially lyrically. Not surprisingly, the more traditional songs are the best ones on the album because the band just sounds comfortable. Still a great album though

Once you get past the awkward harpsichord opening, One for the Cutters is actually really great, especially lyrically. Not surprisingly, the more traditional songs are the best ones on the album because the band just sounds comfortable. Still a great album though

shut up.

i actually like one for the cutters, although the harpsichord is a wee bit off but love the line "if i townie falls in the woods does it make a sound." all in all, and this is after only a few listens, i would have to say this is their weakest thus far. still dig it, mind you, but like kyle said its not as anthemic which is really their bread and butter. i'm sure it will grow on me. i hope.

weak is relative too, sir. but yeah its my least favorite, but as i stated still a good record. just doesnt flow very well. maybe if i changed up the track listing it may work.

I agree it doesn't flow very well. One of the best parts of BAGIA is how after First Night, they hit you with 3 really great anthems in a row. It seems like every time the band gets something good going, they throw a stick in the spokes.

Enough of the negativity though. I do wanna say how much I love some of these songs. Constructive Summer is a perfect call-to-arms opener, and a really great soundtrack to the beginning of my summer vacation. Yeah Sapphire and Magazines are some of the poppiest songs they've ever done, but I love them both. His vocals are so strong on this album, and the lyrics are taking some real steps in other directions after 3 albums of similar themes. One for the Cutters is the most comprehensible story he's written, and he's relying less on repetitive one liners and catch phrases. Also, I really love how many of the songs view youth in America not from the eyes of someone in the scene, but from people who left the town they grew up in and are home (for the holidays? the summer?). It's a really cool perspective and I'm looking forward to getting more into the lyrics, because I think they're some of his best

I also may be in the minority here, but I don't love their first 2 albums. I only like about half of each of them, but I have a hard time taking them in a whole. It's probably a combination of the speaking vocals and the songs all sounding kind of similar. Therefore, Stay Positive holds a very comfortable 2nd place in my Hold Steady rankings.

I also may be in the minority here, but I don't love their first 2 albums. I only like about half of each of them, but I have a hard time taking them in a whole. It's probably a combination of the speaking vocals and the songs all sounding kind of similar. Therefore, Stay Positive holds a very comfortable 2nd place in my Hold Steady rankings.

I'm in the same boat. Although #2 has grown on me and lately I've been playing Charlemagne in Sweatpants more than the entire BAGIA. I can't stop listening to Sequestered, so I'm pretty excited to give this one a listen.

Jack

Probably could be a fat guy if he wasn't a rock star. That said, I'd like to see a few songs about something other than drug/alcohol imbibement this go around. He is a great lyricist but a bit too singularly focused for me thus far.

Probably could be a fat guy if he wasn't a rock star. That said, I'd like to see a few songs about something other than drug/alcohol imbibement this go around. He is a great lyricist but a bit too singularly focused for me thus far.

so very true. he's got normal beer loving guy syndrome, or maybe i just do. if he werent playing everying other night and such he definitely would have a few more lb's on him. i do love the song 'stay positive' it makes me not feel so old...