So I just bought a Crosley Keepsake turntable. It seems to be working fine, and I love the sound I'm getting out of it.

However, when it spins, it kind of goes up and down. Everything seems to sound fine, but should it be doing that? I am just worried about wavering pitch, since it is able to transfer stuff to mp3. It is on a shock-kind of thing, so it is kind of suspended. Is the up and down thing on the platter natural, or should I exchange it?

Guest Cousin Tupelo
So I just bought a Crosley Keepsake turntable. It seems to be working fine, and I love the sound I'm getting out of it.

However, when it spins, it kind of goes up and down. Everything seems to sound fine, but should it be doing that? I am just worried about wavering pitch, since it is able to transfer stuff to mp3. It is on a shock-kind of thing, so it is kind of suspended. Is the up and down thing on the platter natural, or should I exchange it?

I bought one of those for my kid. Garbage. Take it back and instead buy a powered turntable -- you can plug it into the aux slot on any modern stereo. The old receivers would provide the preamp for the turntable. Now the turntable does itself. They have an O.K. available at target probably about 50 feet from where the Crosley was displayed -- they also sell one for about $150 more that has the software for transferring to computer/mp3. Best Buy, Circuit City all have decent models too, where you can set the pitch, decent cartridge.

Don't skimp, especially if you have decent vinyl.

I bought one of those for my kid. Garbage. Take it back and instead buy a powered turntable -- you can plug it into the aux slot on any modern stereo. The old receivers would provide the preamp for the turntable. Now the turntable does itself. They have an O.K. available at target probably about 50 feet from where the Crosley was displayed -- they also sell one for about $150 more that has the software for transferring to computer/mp3. Best Buy, Circuit City all have decent models too, where you can set the pitch, decent cartridge.

Don't skimp, especially if you have decent vinyl.

i have a turntable component that is part of my stereo system. it has great sound.

i have a crosley that my dad bought me for christmas a few years ago. it is portable...fun to put on the floor next to me so that i can change 45s quickly. sure, the sound isn't as great, but many of my records are old and scratchy anyway, and that's the way i like them. the needle has held up surprisingly well too, if that matters to you.

if you want quality sound and have decent vinyl, then CT is probably right.

just saying. carry on...

I tell ye - my first thought was the same what Uncle said above. Can you take it back - I'd do that.

In case you want to check it out:

Here's the search page with threads about turntables.

Analogman..patron saint of finding old threads..(thanks); lots of good info on turntables here in the past. Take tyg's advise and just enjoy the records they way they were intended to be played, on a turntable. If you need MP3s, download the songs or buy CDs, they will sound better anyway.

LouieB

Guest Cousin Tupelo
If you need MP3s, download the songs or buy CDs, they will sound better anyway.

LouieB

Agreed. I've never seen a program that was worth all the time and effort to get a digital track that, despite the technology, would likely be inferior to the vinyl.