Biking

Guest Muncle Douchey

Guest Muncle Douchey

i'm getting hugely into riding my bike these days. especially along the lake front path - although that's pretty much unbareable when crowded.

anyway, i've got this cheap, 15 year old mountain bike that just doesn't do my back, knees, whatever... any justice. anyone else ride a lot and can recommend a good riding bike for exercise/urban use? do i pretty much have to spend an shit ton for a good bike or can i get a decent bike for just a few hundred?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride one of these:

40026CM-6m.jpeg

I go on and off road with it. it is an awesome bike! went mountain biking on it last week and it tears up the landscape!

I love riding. I cannot recommend anything because I ride a cheap, old hybrid that I bought used to replace my quality bike that was stolen. I am an urban rider. We ride to the movies, the pub, out to eat, the river, the park, the port, etc. Sometimes we will ride the trail at the water pumping station outside of town - deer, wild turkey and other wildlife - very cool or the Pinellas Trail, a converted railroad. We used to ride off-road through the woods in a county park but my bike is too crap for that now1 Sorry that I have no advice, I just love riding!

Hybrid bikes are probably the best choice. Road bike diameter wheels, but a little fatter on the tire for safety, comfort. Mount bike geometry and bars for comfort. Pretty affordable..300- 1300. The entry level bike (300) will do what you need. Here is an example, though most bike companies are virtually the same at this price point.

http://www.konaworld.com/08_dew_w.htm

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/series/path

i just got my bike tuned up so i'm all ready! the lake front path starts just south of my house & runs down to where i work so the goal is to ride there at least twice a week. riding bak though, i'll just have to work on that! thankfully, i can always take my bike on the train.

Guest Muncle Douchey
i just got my bike tuned up so i'm all ready! the lake front path starts just south of my house & runs down to where i work so the goal is to ride there at least twice a week. riding bak though, i'll just have to work on that! thankfully, i can always take my bike on the train.

i've considered the ride to work option, but assume i'd just smell like shit the rest of the day.

thanks for your suggestions, so far. i've heard a lot lately about hybrids, so i'll probably look into those. i think i'm just going to go to a bike shop this weekend and talk to someone who knows a lot more than i do about bikes.

I'm without a bike at the moment, but back in the day, I used to bunnyhop and tabletop with this baby - a 1984 Schwinn Predator - it's 100% chromoly frame resides in my parents attic, biding its time.....

82predfull_lg.jpg

i've considered the ride to work option, but assume i'd just smell like shit the rest of the day.

thanks for your suggestions, so far. i've heard a lot lately about hybrids, so i'll probably look into those. i think i'm just going to go to a bike shop this weekend and talk to someone who knows a lot more than i do about bikes.

you know what, i didn't even read your first post b/c i didn't realize you were looking for a bike. i've got a schwin solution & i think its a hybrid.

there are a ton of good bike shops around town. there's on the route on lincoln, ReCycle in the south loop & a ton of others. drop me a pm if you want other suggestions.

and i work with a bunch of dudes & students so i don't care what i smell like! lol

I just got back from a bike ride actually. Now that the weather is nice I try to get on the bike every other day.

i used to go bike-riding every weekend along the river track. 3 hours there and back. i've become a lazy bastard now but those were great times. even though it was a few kilometers out of the city area, it felt like you're in the country thanks to the trees and atmosphere

I scored myself a Panasonic DX-1000 road bike last summer, after having mountain bikes for the past 20+ years, and love it. It flies. Lots of great bike trails in the city, too.

Bike riding is the best form of travel. After spending so much time driving a car, my newfound hobby of bike riding is just so liberating. Its a great feeling to be a part of the world and be able to see, smell, and hear everything that is going on around you.

I love my bike, despite flying over the handlebars the other day and bashing my face. Miraculously, I was fine; at the same time, I almost busted my face.

I ride it to work most days.

Guest Moses
bike riding is just so liberating. Its a great feeling to be a part of the world and be able to see, smell, and hear everything that is going on around you.

beautifully said. i do sort of feel like i'm actually a part of things when i'm out on my bike. and the air feels and smells so crisp.

Guest Jules
I'm without a bike at the moment, but back in the day, I used to bunnyhop and tabletop with this baby - a 1984 Schwinn Predator - it's 100% chromoly frame resides in my parents attic, biding its time.....

82predfull_lg.jpg

:thumbup I have one of those!