Biking

Guest Muncle Douchey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Raleigh hybrid bicycle. I try not to be too smug about it. I want to ride more, and have considered riding to work, but a steep hill with heavy traffic has me all intimidated.

Me too. The suspension is very cushy, which makes it hard to dig in on hills, because some of the energy is absorbed in the seat. It's really comfy the rest of the time, though.

Mine's a road bike with a touring geometry. I mostly do mulit-day distance biking, so that's perfect for me.

MADELEINEL.jpg

It's a terry, because the shorter top tube is perfect for people who are 5'4" and under, all back problems disappeared once I started riding a Terry (I started with one of their big hybrids and then graduated to this one).

Anyone who knows me enough to hear me complain knows that I've had two arm surgeries in the past two years which kept me from biking (well, I could bike, but I couldn't brake or steer, which constitute major issues). I recovered, I've slowly been building my miles up again, and this weekend I did 72.4 of 'em. Not that I'm counting, but I'm so counting.

I love it MUCH.

I'm officially training for the Shenandoah ride this autumn, a ride we used to do every year, but which I've had to miss the last two.

Just to let you know how long its been, my last real bike trip was in 2005:

italya041.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is 40 too old to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels?

My son says that fixed gear bikes with brakes are for pussies.

damn skippy - I love riding fixed gear bikes - it's been a long time. We found a pretty nice fixed gear when we cleaned out Brad's apartment. I keep meaning to give it a spin when I go to his sister's house. I did Critical Mass on a fixed gear once. Good times.

These days, I ride a Terry Susan B - though I don't like it nearly as much as my old LeMond road bike, that I sold like 2 years ago. Big mistake.

susanb.jpg

Anyone who's ever ridden a fixed gear bike up a steep hill or a long gradual incline knows that a fixed gear bike is definitely not for pussies. In fact, it could be argued that multiple geared bikes were specifically designed with the pussy in mind. :P

it's scary how serious you take yourself

I'm racing on the track tonight for the first time ever. lord have mercy on the 4s.

hmmm. sounds wrong, but I guess it may not be. A fixed gear pedals forward and backwards. You can't coast as it has

no freewheel. They're typically track bikes, though they're popular amongst messengers and lately with stupid

kids who don't mind slamming into cars. several cities have banned their usage without brakes. most major

bike MFGs now have what they classify as an 'urban bike' in their lines. These are fixed gear bikes, with brakes

and road geometry which tends to be a bit more relaxed than an actual track bike.

hmmm. sounds wrong, but I guess it may not be. A fixed gear pedals forward and backwards. You can't coast as it has

no freewheel. They're typically track bikes, though they're popular amongst messengers and lately with stupid

kids who don't mind slamming into cars. several cities have banned their usage without brakes. most major

bike MFGs now have what they classify as an 'urban bike' in their lines. These are fixed gear bikes, with brakes

and road geometry which tends to be a bit more relaxed than an actual track bike.

You know, you

one gear would be a single speed. the backwards brake thing is a coaster brake. a true track bike, as M. Chris mentioned

is a one geared bike that lacks the ability to coast and doesn't have any brakes.

So, would fixed gear be the type of bike where, when caterwauling down a steep hill, you either had to keep up with the pedals rotations, or, lift your feet and especially your shins free of the pedals as they rotated at a speed that no mortal could be expected to keep up with? Cause, if that is what we are referring to, then, I stand by my original post.

Though, reading the last part of your statement, could any bike that has no brakes ever really be considered for use by pussies? I mean think about it man

So, would fixed gear be the type of bike where, when caterwauling down a steep hill, you either had to keep up with the pedals rotations, or, lift your feet and especially your shins free of the pedals as they rotated at a speed that no mortal could be expected to keep up with? Cause, if that is what we are referring to, then, I stand by my original post.

Though, reading the last part of your statement, could any bike that has no brakes ever really be considered for use by pussies? I mean think about it man