Best and/ or Worst Rock and Roll Movies Ever (other than IATTBYH)??

i tried watching Dig! and i fuckin' hated it. i try not to let an artist's personality influence my opinion on their music but i want to punch anton. what a fuckin' douchebag.

Wow, I'm not really a fan of their music, but that doc is one of THE most compelling music documentaries I've ever seen. No matter what you think of him (douchebag would be my assessment as well), he is eminently watchable and makes for a great doc subject, IMO.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm not really a fan of their music, but that doc is one of THE most compelling music documentaries I've ever seen. No matter what you think of him (douchebag would be my assessment as well), he is eminently watchable and makes for a great doc subject, IMO.

i honestly couldn't get through the whole thing. i tried about 4 times. how his bandmates haven't killed him by now i'm not sure.

i tried watching Dig! and i fuckin' hated it. i try not to let an artist's personality influence my opinion on their music but i want to punch anton. what a fuckin' douchebag.
It wasn't the worst movie ever made, but it was just sort of "meh". With all the supposed footage they had, they made a fairly repetive and not very illuminating movie all the way around. Not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Tommy is a great movie......along with the Kids Are Alright, the Who comes through each time, Quadrophenia included.

New York Doll is simply one of the best documentaries ever made, period. Short and to the point, no bullshit. I am far less a fan of the Roky Erickson and Daniel Johnston docs which are primarily about mental health (or lack thereof.)

LouieB

At Eastern Illinois University, we had a "Rock and Roll in Society Class,"

I live about 30 minutes west of Eastern.

Totally forgot:

Spinal Tap...#1 by far.

Stop making Sense

Live at Red Rocks (though it is very time-warpish now)

Kids are Alright

bon jovi 'access all areas'

and i'm not being sarcastic or ironic. complete documentation of the band at their hugest during the entire worldwide 'new jersey' tour. fond memories of my big-haired youth.

i also dug beulah's 'a good band is easy to kill'...a lot.

Matt, get in line behind me for the punching-Anton-fest. :pirate I only watched that movie because I was stuck on a long plane ride & there wasn't much else among the offerings. I thought it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen, but it wasn't all that riveting either.

while not a documentary

I enjoy the music from mo' better blues.

that denzel sure could play

must have been the spike lee joints.

thankfully I am no longer in immediate possession of any further puns

I should add live at the el mocambo

Matt, get in line behind me for the punching-Anton-fest. :pirate I only watched that movie because I was stuck on a long plane ride & there wasn't much else among the offerings. I thought it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen, but it wasn't all that riveting either.

Man, I don't like Nixon much either but docs about him are fascinating, Anton is one fucked up dude and watching him self-destruct is simultaneously sad, funny and, yes, riveting in my book.

Festival Express

The part when a very drunk JG tells Janis that "I've loved you ever since the first time I set eyes on you" always tears me up. You can just tell by the look in his eyes that he totally means what he's saying.

while not a documentary

I enjoy the music from mo' better blues.

Yeah, that's one of those movies I wish I liked more than I do. Great music, some good quotes, but the movie itself isn't one that I really feel like watching all that often.

Thanks to Netflix, I found this obscure gem:

Driver 23/The Atlas Moth

http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?id=29152

Fascinating!

A lot of great ones have been named. Here are a few I that I don't think have been listed yet:

Zappa: "200 Motels" (and "The True Story of 200 Motels")

Zappa: "Dub Room Special"....the '70s portion of this is the best Zappa live footage ever released, imo.

Urgh! A Music War

Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Year of the Horse"

Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii"

Everything from the "Classic Albums" series that I've seen has been great.