Best and/ or Worst Rock and Roll Movies Ever (other than IATTBYH)??

Good call, jgp. Another in this vein that i thought was good is American Hardcore.

Granted, I still haven't seen "Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies" and I've heard that's a winner.

An absolute waste of time.

A lot of great ones mentioned. GD have a bunch of just whole concerts that I enjoy a lot, too. The Phish IT dvd of a show/documentary was pretty cool, too. I know they've got a bunch of live ones, too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of surprised nobody metioned the Isle of Wight movie. I thought it was great. Better than Woodstock.

It's been many years, but I remember enjoying Metallica's "Cliff 'Em All" video.

Don't know if it's been mentioned or even if it's apt for the category here, but The Harder They Come, starring Jimmy Cliff, is still worth viewing, even if it is a little dated. Soundtrack is still excellent, too.

Don't know if it's been mentioned or even it's apt for the category here, but The Harder They Come, starring Jimmy Cliff, is still worth viewing, even if it is a little dated. Soundtrack is still excellent, too.

Absolutely. The movie itself is really just a vehicle for the soundtrack...and what a soundtrack! Good stuff.

I also liked Meeting People is Easy.

Gracias... I don't think that one got mentioned before and I was about to point it out.

anyone seen The National, A Skin, A Night ? just curious as to how it was.

Love the National, am a big fan.

You can live without seeing this. More than a little disappointed.

anyone seen The National, A Skin, A Night ? just curious as to how it was.

There's hardly any music or insight. It's quite mundane actually. I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Thought of another recent one I quite liked: Scott Walker: 30 Century Man. I'll also add Man in the Sand as I don't think it has been mentioned yet.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Absolutely. The movie itself is really just a vehicle for the soundtrack...and what a soundtrack! Good stuff.

"Don't ... (slash) ... fuk ... (slash) ... wif ... (slash) ... me! (slash) .."

Does Club Paradise (Robin Williams/Jimmy CLiff) count as a music movie? :lol

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Does Club Paradise (Robin Williams/Jimmy CLiff) count as a music movie? :lol

That wouldn't cut it as an informercial for body shaving.

Some Fav's (other than the obligatory Waltz)

Cocksucker Blues (Stones) :blink

Bittersweet Motel (Phish) :music

End of the Century (Ramones) :thumbup

The Future is Unwritten (Joe Strummer) :thumbup

Don't Look Back (Dylan) B)

No Direction Home (Dylan) :shifty

Okonokos (My Morning Jacket) :w00t

If I Should Fall From Grace (Shane McGowan of The Pogues) :beer

Amazing Journey - The Story of The Who :worship

Making this list has got me all nostalgic. Man I love great music doc's. Music Confession: sometimes it takes a visual element to pull me into a band's music (and/or interview's that enlighten their perspective). Without Bittersweet Motel or IATTBYH, it would've taken me much longer to get into two of my now favorite bands, Phish and Wilco.

Love the National, am a big fan.

You can live without seeing this. More than a little disappointed.

There's hardly any music or insight. It's quite mundane actually. I doubt I will ever watch it again.

You guys just saved me $ 18.00 + shipping!!!!

thanks

The part when a very drunk JG tells Janis that "I've loved you ever since the first time I set eyes on you" always tears me up. You can just tell by the look in his eyes that he totally means what he's saying.

Too funny. I love the part where Bobby is defending the cops that they were reading about in the paper and you hear Jerry in the background saying " Must we have this yellow Journalism" I'da loved to have been on that train ride...."Might as Well"

Some Fav's (other than the obligatory Waltz)

Cocksucker Blues (Stones) :blink

Bittersweet Motel (Phish) :music

End of the Century (Ramones) :thumbup

The Future is Unwritten (Joe Strummer) :thumbup

Don't Look Back (Dylan) B)

No Direction Home (Dylan) :shifty

Okonokos (My Morning Jacket) :w00t

If I Should Fall From Grace (Shane McGowan of The Pogues) :beer

Amazing Journey - The Story of The Who :worship

Making this list has got me all nostalgic. Man I love great music doc's. Music Confession: sometimes it takes a visual element to pull me into a band's music (and/or interview's that enlighten their perspective). Without Bittersweet Motel or IATTBYH, it would've taken me much longer to get into two of my now favorite bands, Phish and Wilco.

You should see The Kids Are Alright. It's much better than Amazing Journey. One of the best rock movies around.

Did anyone mention the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus??

Cause that's pretty awesome....especially the Who performance.

The part when a very drunk JG tells Janis that "I've loved you ever since the first time I set eyes on you" always tears me up. You can just tell by the look in his eyes that he totally means what he's saying.

Too funny. I love the part where Bobby is defending the cops that they were reading about in the paper and you hear Jerry in the background saying " Must we have this yellow Journalism" I'da loved to have been on that train ride...."Might as Well"

Forgot this one.

A drunken Danko with Joplin, Garcia and others is fantastic and a little heartbreaking all at once.

There's a flick about the Monks?!? I love that band........must see movie now.....
YESSS! :dancing

"Don't ... (slash) ... fuk ... (slash) ... wif ... (slash) ... me! (slash) .."
I seem to remember some really weird looking fake blood in the movie? Am I hallucinating that?

Also, I can't believe I forgot "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" which I'm pretty sure I learned about from you people. Fascinating, wish it was longer. :yay

Not sure if you can call it a rock doc, per se -- or even totally a music doc, but

Theremin: An Electronic Odyessy

definitely touches on rock. And the interview with Brian Wilson is simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking. I saw this in the theater and the whole place was in hysterics during that part, and then fell into an uncomfortable silence following.

Still, a very cool film about an interesting topic.

Also, from about the same time and even more heartbreaking:

Nico Icon

Woman was seriously messed up.

There seems to be lots of love for Festival Express. Another rock doc/railroad tour is the unreleased Eric Clapton film "Eric Clapton's Rolling Hotel". I just found out about this move, and have only seen a few minutes of it on Youtube. I think Youtube has the whole film. Apparently, Clapton was at the height of his alcoholism and comes off pretty bad, but it might appeal to completists and/or EC haters.