R.E.M.'s best album is?

Been listening a lot to R.E.M. lately....partly to try to figure out what exactly it is that's missing from the OK but disappointing Accelerate.

It's no revelation, but Bill Berry's skill and music/hook sense was very strong. And Stipe's subtle yet universal lyrics are all but gone.

I go back and forth with my favorite R.E.M. album.....Chronic Town, Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant always jump to the top when I think of early R.E.M.

And Green and Adventures in Hi-Fi are up there for new-ish R.E.M.

But, for me, Automatic and Out of Time are the 2 that duke it out for best album.

And right now, I'm leaning towards Out of Time. While maybe not as artistic and lyrically great as Automatic, I love it's mixture of seriousness and fun pop...it's a truly fun record to listen to, while at the same time tugging at your emotions. I miss the Stipe that wrote the lyrics of Near Wild Heaven or Belong or Texarkana....lyrics I don't quite understand but can make me think and feel things that make me think I understand them. Actually, such lyrics are on about every song....."the world is collapsing around our ears, I turned up the radio but I can't hear it". That doesn't make sense, but it makes perfect sense....especially in today's world.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life's Rich Pageant, followed closely by Document.

I still get excited popping on Document. It's good from opening to closing notes.

Document...like most R.E.M. albums...is a great listen. I think it's a little weak towards the end.

While R.E.M. has written many great political tunes, I prefer them when they deal with the heart and thoughts of living and dying.

To me, Life's Rich Pageant is a better political record. Flowers of Guatemala and Fall On Me are my 2 favorite political R.E.M. songs. In fact Life's Rich Pageant will always be in my top 3 R.E.M. releases.

I can't speak for the best REM album but the one that I come back to the most frequently is definitely Life's Rich Pageant. This is followed closely by New Adventures and Out of Time. Country Feedback would still be one of my favorite tracks.

Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic...Green still holds a close place in my heart, probably because it was the first/last time I've ever seen them live and it was a pretty powerful experience as a teenager.

"Lifes Rich Pagent"......to me, is the hippie album of the indie rock era. I find the feel of the album to be utopian and aware with a positive vibe. I love this album. Had a chance to see this tour and passed. I'm still kicking myself.

"Murmur" is a close second.

Man.......what happened to them? They were THE intelligent rock gods for awhile there.

Document...like most R.E.M. albums...is a great listen. I think it's a little weak towards the end.

While R.E.M. has written many great political tunes, I prefer them when they deal with the heart and thoughts of living and dying.

To me, Life's Rich Pageant is a better political record. Flowers of Guatemala and Fall On Me are my 2 favorite political R.E.M. songs. In fact Life's Rich Pageant will always be in my top 3 R.E.M. releases.

Gah! I meant to say LRP is the one without a glitch from beginning to end, not Document. Document is patchy, but very good though.

Begin the Begin & Cuyahoga :wub

Guest Cousin Tupelo

I think it's Automatic going away. A great balance of musical styles, musical composition, benefits from repeated listenings, an obvious labor of love among the bandmates. The last three songs on that album -- Man on the Moon, Nightswimming, Find the River -- fit together so neatly to me, that is the band's finest moment.

I was thinking lately there's some parallels to SBS.

My thinking at the time was, REM set out to make the ultimate pop album with Out of Time. It's almost like they targetd musical genres and plucked them off one at a time. It is my wife's favorite album. But to me, it doesn't stand to repeated listenings, the sound a bit too clean. For this band, if the pop approach was their goal, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

While it's an EP, Chronic Town could be considered just because it was a left turn from much of what was out there, Murmur brought it into a full album form. Reckoning proved their legitmacy. Document rocked.

But Automatic is my automatic choice. Hands down.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I think I said this the last time - Fables of the Reconstruction and/or Reckoning (for me, anyhow).

As you note, this discussion comes up frequently; but I've known a lot of people who point to Fables as decisively as anyone could, many that do are quite militant about it. I never felt that way, but I always loved that about REM and those fans -- and I guess the same can be said for Wilco. The music resonates in such a way that can't be described or translated, yet it's unmistakable.

Well, shit.

This R.E.M. album ranking thing is just too damn hard. It's like listing my favorite-tasting pizzas.

I must admit that, listening to Fables a couple times, well hells bells.....it IS a freakin' great record.

OK, for fu**ing right now, I'll say:

1. Out of Time

2. Life's Rich Pageant

3. Fables of The Reconstruction

4. Automatic

5. Green