Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did someone here actually see this movie??

My understanding is that most of the action takes place near downtown. Just a clue....the loft isn't near downtown.

LouieB

Saw the movie but I couldn't tell you what was what. There was some mention of a Trump tower or something and another building they named which I can't remember. Also a few seconds of what looked like the buildings on the cover of YHF but stuff was flying and exploding.

Saw the movie but I couldn't tell you what was what. There was some mention of a Trump tower or something and another building they named which I can't remember. Also a few seconds of what looked like the buildings on the cover of YHF but stuff was flying and exploding.

Those were the buildings that are on the cover of YHF -- Marina Towers.

They're right next to the Chicago House of Blues., so if you are going to see a show there... well, they're private residences, so you can't really check them out. But you can get close. :)

An odd thing about the condos in Marina Towers: they are all wedge-shaped. They get narrower, as you get closer to the center of the building. I think that I would get clausterphobic, personally. But, for living in an iconic building, most folks don't really care.

My 12 year niece was visiting last summer and we took her downtown. They happen to be shooting the Transformer movie - it was pretty cool seeing a bunch of beat up cars hanging from a draw bridge that was up. They were also shooting a bunch exploding scenes on the River at Michigan and Wacker.

She thought it was the bee's knees seeing the Bumblebee car.

Long ago there was an entire thread about Marina Towers. House of Blues is in what was the movie theater complex that is attached to Marina Towers. And if this hasn't been mentioned before (and it has I am sure) the best place to get a photo is across the Chicago River on Wacker Drive. There is also a bowling alley in the Marina City complex. There is also an upscale rsstaurant and a hotel in the complex as well.

LouieB

Found this little video about the wingsuit guys in the movie. They jumped off the Sears? tower. I guess this doesn't fit in the 'things to do in Chicago' category though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcP1XPTQJyo&feature=player_embedded

Yes, they do jump off the Willis (neé Sears) Tower.

And, no, that is not a recommended thing to do when you are here -- jumping off, that is.

Although, my father worked on that movie and he watched as the guy jumped off of the Tower. No, it was not CGI, but an actual real stunt man, doing an actual real stunt. And, he said that it was heartstopping. Amazing.

Are there still places worth seeing in Chicago after those rascally Transformers blasted through the place? I seriously hope everyone's o.k. Especially the loft.

Hey, I made this same joke in the Fall Tour Announcement thread when people kept asking for a Chicago show. 697DE-sneak-thief.gif

Would you jump off Marina Towers for front row Wilco tix?

Hey, I made this same joke in the Fall Tour Announcement thread when people kept asking for a Chicago show. 697DE-sneak-thief.gif

Would you jump off Marina Towers for front row Wilco tix?

Hahahahaha probably be the easiest way to get tickets now going by some accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, the family and I went for something like the 4th time to see

That's Weird, Grandma

Still one of the very best shows in town. If you are in Chicago on a Monday night, I cannot recommend this show highly enough, especially if you are travelling with kids.

Here's the deal:

Teachers and actors travel to different schools in the CPS to teach a 6-week creative writing workshop. At the end of the session, they take the students' writings and create short skits from them. They perform them for the students at the school, and then, every Monday night, they perform selections from these workshops for audiences.

It's at the Neo-Futurist's theater at Foster & Ashland and it's only $10 for adults and $5 for kids. So, it's a great deal, too.

Seriously, one of the best times that I've ever had in a theater.

(And it changes every week, so that's why we keep going back.)

• 3 months later...

Bumping this even though it doesn't need bumping. With a week's worth of Wilco shows coming up in a couple months alot of folks from out of town will be coming in. Take time to explore Chicago between standing outside in the cold if you have time. And it could be pretty cold too. Make sure to dress in layers. Luckily there will be no need to stand out on Wacker Drive waiting in line. I have not been by the Opera house of late, but Wacker Drive was torn up. Anyone have an update on that construction project?

LouieB

Good thinking, Louie!

I'm hoping to spend the day in the city before the Opera House show in an attempt to take in all the festiveness Chicago offers in December. I'm hoping to go to finally see the Christmas Around the World exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry- they've also got a Dr Seuss exhibit I'm interested in. The cost of parking at MSI is a slight deterrent, though. I mean, $16?!

I'll probably also go to the Christkindlmarket which I'm hoping will be less crowded than a weekend evening.

I considered having lunch under the tree at the Walnut Room but I've heard the restaurant is terrible, which is really unfortunate. I may try a sandwich at Perry's Deli instead- I've been wanting to try it but I'm never in the Loop.

If I do go to MSI, then I'll be driving to the show from the suburbs and will need a somewhat affordable parking plan. Oof.

Are there any must-do Chicago holiday traditions?

Good thinking, Louie!

I'm hoping to spend the day in the city before the Opera House show in an attempt to take in all the festiveness Chicago offers in December. I'm hoping to go to finally see the Christmas Around the World exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry- they've also got a Dr Seuss exhibit I'm interested in. The cost of parking at MSI is a slight deterrent, though. I mean, $16?!

I'll probably also go to the Christkindlmarket which I'm hoping will be less crowded than a weekend evening.

There is a (Jackson) Park District lot directly south of the Museum of Science and Industry - it is a short walk to the museum. It's a $1 an hour (it use to be free...) Bring your boots and walk around Jackson Park. Osaka Gardens is a five minute walk from the lot - it's nice, even in the winter. The Around the World at the Museum is okay. I must admit I was slightly disappointed. It's worth a visit, though. Haven't checked out the Dr. Seuss exhibit, yet. My wife and kid are planning to go tomorrow (It's a free day - Oct. 31st). If they make it, I let you know how they thought it was.

We always head down to Christkindlmarket for a pretzel every year. Weekday nights are always better.

I almost always find street parking within a block or so of the MSI.

But yeah, that south lot is a good option.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thinking, Louie!

I considered having lunch under the tree at the Walnut Room but I've heard the restaurant is terrible, which is really unfortunate. I may try a sandwich at Perry's Deli instead- I've been wanting to try it but I'm never in the Loop.

If I do go to MSI, then I'll be driving to the show from the suburbs and will need a somewhat affordable parking plan. Oof.

Are there any must-do Chicago holiday traditions?

I guess I am the wrong person to ask about Christmas. The Walmut Room may still be something special to do. I would think it be more interesting than Perry's Deli, which I don't remember being that special when I used to work downtown. But then the Yelpsters think it is pretty cool. I would check out Manny's on the near south side instead for more local character, but be prepared to spend some dough. Or if you are in Hyde Park already to see stuff at the MSI, go to Valois which is just a cafeteria, but has good cheap food, good sandwhiches, and is a Hyde Park staple. The Christmas market in Daley Plaza is kind of cool. If you are downtown check out the Modern Wing of the Art Institute and the rest of course. My pass is still up for borrowing.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

I guess I am the wrong person to ask about Christmas. The Walmut Room may still be something special to do. I would think it be more interesting than Perry's Deli, which I don't remember being that special when I used to work downtown. But then the Yelpsters think it is pretty cool. I would check out Manny's on the near south side instead for more local character, but be prepared to spend some dough. Or if you are in Hyde Park already to see stuff at the MSI, go to Valois which is just a cafeteria, but has good cheap food, good sandwhiches, and is a Hyde Park staple. The Christmas market in Daley Plaza is kind of cool. If you are downtown check out the Modern Wing of the Art Institute and the rest of course. My pass is still up for borrowing.

LouieB

Great call on Manny's. One of those places you forget to appreciate until you read an article that they close. And the Christkindlemarket at Daley is a great place to walk around. You can hit the beer haus, walk around and grab a great bratwurst, then go back to beer haus after 6 or so to hear drunk SA's discussing cases that are confidential.

• 3 weeks later...

Manny's is really the last of a dying breed of cafeterias. There was a place like it up on Clark St. that moved and is still called the same thing. So many places have transitioned into something hip. Manny's ain't hip and ain't healthy. Its still a place to go get yourself a heart attack on a plate. And maybe see some pols or something.

LouieB

As for caferteria syle goes, there is still Valois down here in Hyde Park. Amazingly, I have yet to eat at Manny's or Valois. Of course being a vegeraterian now, neither seem too appealing. I do cheat every St. Patrick and eat a little of my sister's corned beef - perhaps I should skip her's and head to Manny's, though I don't think I could handle a whole sandwich ---- does look good though.

Since also becoming a vegetarian I don't hit either place much either.. I have been to Valois lots of times in recent years and they make plenty of breakfast type stuff that veggies (not vegans) can eat though. Manny's on the other hand, not so much. I still recommend Valois to everyone. Nice, cheap (cheaper than Manny's) and unassuming. While there have been articles in the papers about what a veggie friendly city Chicago is, if you go off the beaten track it isn't all that friendly. Stay in the hipster hoods and you can be a vegetarian pretty easily. But Chicago is still a meat town any way you cut it.

LouieB

Another vegetarian here. One of my favorite vegetarian restaurants in Chicago is The Chicago Diner, a must hit place for me whenever I'm in town.

http://www.veggiediner.com/wp/