The Absolutely Official NHL Off Season Thread

Brian Burke is a fucking shitty GM. Toronto deserves him. Lowe, though a prima donna, is right... he was the GM of Vancouver for 6 years and they won ONE playoff round. He left us with nothing, no prospects. In fact, RJ Umberger was drafted by the Canucks but Burke refused to sign him!!! And now look at him, he's exactly the player we need. Burke's a bully who loves attention. I can't believe the respect he commands. I'd take Pat Quinn, Dave Nonis, or Mike Gillis over Brian Burke any day.

Kind of shocked to see Naslund go to the Rangers... fair is fair I guess, we got one of their washed up captains first (Messier) and now they get our washed up captain :) Now that I think about it though, I'm really glad he's gone. Time to move on, the days of the West Coast Express (Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi, at the time the best line in the league) are long over.

Why give up a reported 80 mill for 7.4 ? he wants to win a cup, fine.=, but god forbid

You mean the Edmonton offer? Cause who the hell would want to live in Edmonton? :P

I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure that wasn't his fault, at least not for the Rangers.

Right, but I'm just saying: He's a locker-room cancer - his teammates have hated him on every team he's played. That's not good for chemistry. Chemistry, while not absolutely crucial for a Stanley Cup team, is good to have if you don't have a player that can put the team on his back for playoff wins. Claude Lemeiux was that type of player. A locker-room cancer, yes, but also a Conn Smythe winner. Avery's not that type of player. So, if I were a Rangers fan, I would be happy to see him leave - it's easier to sign and retain good players if they know the team asshole is gone.

Brian Burke is a fucking shitty GM. Toronto deserves him.

He's still with Anaheim, no?

Yeah but he's refusing to sign an extension, everyone seems to believe that he's going to Toronto next summer. The Maple Laffs hired Burkes best bud, Ron Wilson as head coach and tried really hard to get his other best bud, Dave Nonis as an assistant GM. Burke would love the attention in Toronto, the biggest hockey market in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah when I heard about that I figured a lot of the VC people would want to go. Here's hoping it doesn't rain.

I don't know about the other teams but the Canucks released their schedule today! And man, am I one excited boy! New Jersey (Luongo vs Brodeur, yes please!!!), Ottawa, Montreal, and the Red Wings are all visiting GM Place. I'm most excited to watch the Canucks beat the Leafs and might have to plan a road trip to see that. Or maybe a road trip to watch them play the Canadiens. The best part is, every team will play each other. I think it's a step in the right direction but, in my opinion, when you have players like Ovechkin and Crosby in this league, you should get them in every arena every season. Each team should play each other twice (at home and away) with the rest being mostly divisional games, especially down the stretch cause that can get pretty intense.

Yeah when I heard about that I figured a lot of the VC people would want to go. Here's hoping it doesn't rain.

I don't know about the other teams but the Canucks released the schedule today! And man, am I one excited boy. New Jersey (Luongo vs Brodeur, yes please!!!), Ottawa, Montreal, and the Red Wings are all visiting GM Place. I'm most excited to watch the Canucks beat the Leafs and might have to plan a road trip to see that. Or maybe a road trip to watch them play the Canadiens. The best part is, every team will play each other. I think it's a step in the right direction but, in my opinion, when you have players like Ovechkin and Crosby in this league, you should get them in every arena every season. Each team should play each other twice (at home and away) with the rest being mostly divisional games, especially down the stretch cause that can get pretty intense.

I just hope I can get a ticket, the Blackhawks' website's "FAQ" makes it sound like this event will be extremely hard to attend if you are not a Blackhawks season-ticket holder.

Really?? I don't know much about Chicago, other then what I've seen in the movie IATTBYH, but isn't Wrigley Field suppose to be a big venue? I know that last years Winter Classic set a record in attendance.

Really?? I don't know much about Chicago, other then what I've seen in the movie IATTBYH, but isn't Wrigley Field be a big venue? I know that last years Winter Classic set a record in attendance.

it's somewhere around 40,000 seats, I think. last year's game in Buffalo held over 70,000.

Bruins resigned Wideman. And placed Glen Murray on waivers.

Murray has been with this club for a lot of tough years, he had a good run. It's time for him to go. The Wideman resigning is good news, he had a great year last year.

And as for the Winter Classic, I'm still hoping for a game at Fenway!

it's somewhere around 40,000 seats, I think. last year's game in Buffalo held over 70,000.

I'm hoping to be spending a very hungover Jan 1 in Wrigley, but I know I'm going to have to pay through the teeth to get tix. Stubhub already has some for sale, and they haven't even GONE on sale yet.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a "soft deadline". Whatever that means. I was really thinking he'd sign here but now I think he's probably retiring. Apparently he's not even working out now... whatever! He could have gone to two teams (MTL or VAN) that would have possibly been contenders with him and maybe won a cup, a great way to end a career (not to mention, all the while, getting paid millions of dollars). He can go play in Toronto and miss the play offs again for all I care :rolleyes

• 1 month later...

It's been a month.

My thoughts:

1) Mats who? Forget him. It now looks like he wants to wait till midseason and join a contender. I can't respect that.

2) I have high hopes for Edmonton, Chicago, Washington, and, of course, Vancouver.

3) IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!! :D Training camps begin in a few weeks and pre-season is just after that :D :D :D

It's been a month.

My thoughts:

1) Mats who? Forget him. It now looks like he wants to wait till midseason and join a contender. I can't respect that.

2) I have high hopes for Edmonton, Chicago, Washington, and, of course, Vancouver.

3) IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!! :D Training camps begin in a few weeks and pre-season is just after that :D :D :D

My reply to your thoughts:

1) I completely agree, Sundin's waiting to hop on the ultimate bandwagon.

2) Edmonton and Chicago are still in the re-building phase, I'd love to see both of these teams in the postseason, but my gut tells me it won't be this year. Vancouver SHOULD have a good year, but it was the same story last year as well...they kinda annoy me anyway. Whereas Washington is poised to go a little further into the playoffs. The Caps are a fun team to watch.

3) I know!!! I'll be at the Bruins' training camp, as well as at the GAAAHHHDEN at 10 AM next Saturday to stock up on tickets.

My reply to your thoughts:

1) I completely agree, Sundin's waiting to hop on the ultimate bandwagon.

2) Edmonton and Chicago are still in the re-building phase, I'd love to see both of these teams in the postseason, but my gut tells me it won't be this year. Vancouver SHOULD have a good year, but it was the same story last year as well...they kinda annoy me anyway. Whereas Washington is poised to go a little further into the playoffs. The Caps are a fun team to watch.

3) I know!!! I'll be at the Bruins' training camp, as well as at the GAAAHHHDEN at 10 AM next Saturday to stock up on tickets.

Your Bruins are looking good, real good. The Yelle signing was great, those are the types of players that will win you a Stanley Cup. Hopefully I can see a game or two as well this season. My girlfriends Dad can get us tickets from his work, so I only need to find a cheap flight to Vancouver. Flying to see an NHL game may sound expensive but the cost of two Canuck tickets is probably just as much, if not more, then two plane tickets from Prince George to Vancouver.

I have high hopes for the Canucks. I think Kyle Wellwood will have a great season (he knows this is his last shot at the NHL) and the Sedins will be even better with Steve Bernier playing with them. In my opinion, the team is already better then they were last year (and apparently there is still a trade coming for more offense). This was a team based on their defense that almost made the playoffs (came down to the second to last game) when most of their defense was injured all season. The law of averages says that won't happen again. Now add in Luongo no longer being distracted with his wife's pregnancy (she had a complicated pregnancy and went to Florida to have the baby, making Roberto stressed in the final weeks of the season) and add in the new players and you got a good looking team. But maybe I'm just a homer... :ermm

I just caught the NHL channel for the first time last weekend, while visiting my sister. My Sig.O. immediately stated "you CANNOT get this channel"

Great googly moogly. I'm more excited for this season than ever, and can't wait to get the Center Ice package for the first time.

I just caught the NHL channel for the first time last weekend, while visiting my sister. My Sig.O. immediately stated "you CANNOT get this channel"

Great googly moogly. I'm more excited for this season than ever, and can't wait to get the Center Ice package for the first time.

Yea same here. I moved out of market so I kinda have to get that package if I wanna see my team's games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rangers coming home from Europe with some sort of cup and four points. Awe. Some.