the first time you heard your favourite artists music..?

I heard Wilco for the first time on a mix cd from a girl I was intensly flirting with (we've been dating now for 3 years). She put Jesus Etc. as the cd opener...I don't think I heard the rest of the album

wilco- my dad read a review of yankee hotel foxtrot somewhere and on a trip to brisbane he bought it, while i bought some shitty skater punk band i think it was nofx i was into at the time, and on the trip back we put it on to see what all the fuss was about, and after that yhf hasnt left my room as i to listened to it everynight before i went to sleep for about a year, so all i can say is thanks dad.

A friend of mine suggested I buy Being There when it first came out. I thought it was interesting but it didn't blow me away. It did lead me to Uncle Tupelo and then to Son Volt. When Summerteeth came out Wilco became my new favorite band and they have been ever since. ( In retrospect Being There is probably my favorite.)

I've told this story before, but that's never stopped me before...

Uncle Tupelo:

They played just about every other week at a club in the town where I went to college (Columbia, MO -- The Blue Note). I had no desire to see them, despite hearing good things. But on Halloween, 1989 they were opening for fIREHOSE, so I figured that I'd get there early just to check them out, as long as I was going to be there anyway.

Three scraggly guys ambled out on to the stage. They plugged in. They started playing. I want to say that it was either "Graveyard Shift" or "Whiskey Bottle"; either way, my jaw hit the floor. I bought No Depression at Streetside Records the day that it came out and have never looked back.

Well a few good ones that are memorable:

Grateful Dead: I was visiting my newly remarried mother (I was living with my father) and my new older step brother was going to a show and took me along. I was 12. It was definitely eye-opening. More than music (i really only knew Love The One You're With played bc Stills was sitting in), I was struck by seeing a guy in a three-piece suit who looked like he had just come from Wall Street hanging and having a blast with a guy that looked like he'd just woken up under some newspapers. I really dug that.

Phish: I was in a friend's studio in NY and Trey Anastasio, an old friend of one the band members whose studio we were in, stopped by to jam. I was blown away and remember being embarrassed to take a solo. I asked him what band he was in and he gave me a tape. :lol

Well a few good ones that are memorable:

Grateful Dead: I was visiting my newly remarried mother (I was living with my father) and my new older step brother was going to a show and took me along. I was 12. It was definitely eye-opening. More than music (i really only knew Love The One You're With played bc Stills was sitting in), I was struck by seeing a guy in a three-piece suit who looked like he had just come from Wall Street hanging and having a blast with a guy that looked like he'd just woken up under some newspapers. I really dug that.

Phish: I was in a friend's studio in NY and Trey Anastasio, an old friend of one the band members whose studio we were in, stopped by to jam. I was blown away and remember being embarrassed to take a solo. I asked him what band he was in and he gave me a tape. :lol

Moe..thats awesome about the Phish story! What year did that happen?

Moe..thats awesome about the Phish story! What year did that happen?

I think it was in '88. I know it was before the first time I saw Phish as a whole and that was at a friend's UVM graduation party in the spring of '89.

I was seven in 1980 when I was listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and took the album cover and walked up to my aunt who was visiting for lunch and pointed out Tony Curtis and said "He's in The Mirror Crack'd."

Awesome! If you have any pictures you must post them! :dancing

Unfortunately I have pics of neither event. But here is the partial setlist from my first show.

05/21/89 (Sun) Burlington, VT

Harry Hood, Foam, Contact, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Split Open and Melt, Dazed and Confused, The Sloth, You Enjoy Myself > Ya Mar, AC/DC Bag, The Divided Sky