My Morning Jacket...

I am not sure if I shared this with anyone so I figured I might as well if I haven't. I was introduced to My Morning Jacket in 1998...certianly by a strange circumstance. I went to school at Penn State and my dorm neighbohr was from Louisville. We got into a music discussion one day and I told him I liked Son Volt, etc. He said well you should check out this band from Louisville (Which is where he is from) called My Morning Jacket. He would tell me that the lead singer went out with his sister in high school. He lent me a cassett with some demos. I thought it was just ok and never bothered much after that. I did think the demos did sound kind of tupelo/volt ish. I guess in hindsight I didn't want to bother with a band that didn't tour outside of Kentucky.

Two years later he and I became roomates. He would always play their music so I heard alot of it. I always just thought nothing of it till I notice they were starting to tour and get some notarity. I kind of really missed they boat on early MMJ. I should try and track him down to see if he still has that cassett ( I have not spoke with him in the last 2 years though). Anyway I did end up seeing MMJ 2 times in the early 2003 and see they are getting an unpresidented buzz now. Maybe I will give them a real chance finally! :stunned

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

I downloaded At Dawn on a lark after reading a review shortly after its release. This was in the days of Audiogalaxy, when I'd just download new stuff for the sheer novelty of it. Anyway, I loved the album immediately and they've been one of my favourite bands ever since. I've only seen 'em twice, but that definitely needs to change (although I just missed their Toronto show, so I guess it'll be another year or two before I get another chance... d'oh!).

Don't remember how I first heard of them, but I got It Still Moves a few months before Z came out. I liked ISM, but Z really hit me like a ton of bricks. It really was a departure from what I listened to and got me into different genres of music. I was instantly addicted. Then, in the summer of 2006 I saw them open for my favorite band in the world, Pearl Jam. As a diehard PJ fan it was hard for me to admit they kinda blew them out of the water those nights. About 2 months after that I saw a Jim James solo show, then that December a full-blown MMJ show.

Now MMJ has become my favorite band, just edging out PJ and Wilco. I just went to their Radio City show, got home and booked a flight to Louisville to see them in their hometown, and I'll be seeing them in Philly and in NYC for New Years.

I saw Jim James sing "Golden" on Austin City Limits (TV) with Conor Oberst and M Ward. Ran out and bought It Still Moves that week. Thought it was okay for a couple of months and then it hit me and I was smitten. Saw them live for the first time in Nov. 2005 at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis and they've been my favorite band ever since. I've seen them two more times and have tickets to both Chicago shows in October.

Don't remember how I first heard of them, but I got It Still Moves a few months before Z came out. I liked ISM, but Z really hit me like a ton of bricks. It really was a departure from what I listened to and got me into different genres of music. I was instantly addicted. Then, in the summer of 2006 I saw them open for my favorite band in the world, Pearl Jam. As a diehard PJ fan it was hard for me to admit they kinda blew them out of the water those nights. About 2 months after that I saw a Jim James solo show, then that December a full-blown MMJ show.

Now MMJ has become my favorite band, just edging out PJ and Wilco. I just went to their Radio City show, got home and booked a flight to Louisville to see them in their hometown, and I'll be seeing them in Philly and in NYC for New Years.

Something like this. As much as I love Pearl Jam, I found myself really anticipating the MMJ sets at those 2006 shows.

I'm still kicking myself for missing them at the Hideout, Schubas, etc.

I was 16... and well, you know how 16 year olds can be... I loved alternative music so I went to Edmonton to see The Foo Fighters live. And guess who opened? My Morning Jacket. I still remember being blown away during the guitar wailing of One Big Holiday.

I guess I was 17... and one of my high school teachers saw I like Wilco and Elliott Smith and she made me a copy of It Still Moves because she loved the record and thought I would like it too. And I do, and "Z" haven't gotten any early stuff yet though...

I'll tell you how I DIDN'T get into them. XRT playing Golden every hour for years and then getting a copy of It Still Moves and it irritated me so much I sent my copy to someone on VC who really wanted it.

LouieB

My friend Lane INSISTED I go see them at Schubas. It was a super snowy beautiful day/night in March 2002. I was won over by the fucking amazing live show and bought At Dawn at the merch table. I was a little shocked by the difference from the live show to the album, but oh how I fell in love with that album. Haven't loved any of them that much, in fact I kind of like the split EP with Songs: Ohia and Chocolate and Ice better than the 3 subsequent full-lengths. I still see them live every chance I get, though I may sit the Chicago theater out. I do like Evil Urges better than Z or It Still Moves though, though both of those have some perfect songs.

It was 2003 and I came home from baseball practice absolutely exhausted. My dad told me to go to my room and listen to tracks 8 and 9 (Run Thru and Rollin' Back). I passed out halfway through Run Thru. I was then force-fed It Still Moves wherever we went (baseball game, out for breakfast, uncle's funeral) and eventually, on my own terms, I liked them.

I had been hearing One Big Holiday and Lowdown in random places and really liked the songs. I downloaded Z when it came out and listened to it occassionally but it never really clicked until I heard Okonokos. The live sound of Wordless Chorus blew me away and the discs just got better. Now I have every album and EP and I'm loving Evil Urges.

Not into them, sorry.

Wendy played the new one for me on our way to see Stevie Wonder the other night. There were a couple of tracks that weren't bad, but overall it bored me.

Not into them, sorry.

Wendy played the new one for me on our way to see Stevie Wonder the other night. There were a couple of tracks that weren't bad, but overall it bored me.

As much as I like their new album... I don't think its comparable to any of their older albums.