My Morning Jacket...

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

Its a much stronger album than Evil Urges in my opinion. More consise, which is MMJ failings in my point of view. 'Z' is my favourite record of theirs. Both 'At Dawn' and 'It Still Moves' have great songs on them but could do with a lot of editing down.

The new album does have a couple of poor tracks but there are five or six great songs. I love Black Metal and the last track is a thing a beauty. As always will probably work better in a live context, especially Black Metal.

Looking forward to the impending Jim James solo record which is, accoring to James, almost complete. The George Harrison EP was good if nothing spectacular.

Coming from a long-time MMJ fan that has loved them live several times, I think the JJ (or YY :rolleyes ) solo album has the potential to be incredibly bad. I've come to the conclusion that Jim is a weird dude that I just don't connect with at times. He has come up with some really head scratching interview comments and songs in the last few years. The thought of him having an unchecked creative outlet honestly scares me a little bit.

I've come to the conclusion that Jim is a weird dude that I just don't connect with at times. He has come up with some really head scratching interview comments and songs in the last few years.

yes.gif

I'm preparing to cringe often during the upcoming VH1 Storytellers episode. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

There is a certain feeling you get in your mouth when you drink water or milk; it's like your mouth knows that they belong there. They mesh right in. Now, I'm no scientist, but I feel the molecules in milk and water are more circular or soft, rolling, wave-like — more akin to the cells already existing in your body, far different from the triangular pointed saw-wave feeling you get when you drink a fizzy water or a beer or something bubbly that clashes with the body. A feeling that's not necessarily bad — sometimes that clash is fun. That's why we love those things, but we need the water and the milk to live. As we worked on Evil Urges, our last album, we strove to make the experience fizzy and jarring and disorienting, and hopefully in a way that was fun for the listener. But as life goes on and changes you, you change the music you make. As we were working on this new album, Circuital, I felt in my body and mind that its molecules were more easily absorbed in a natural and nourishing way. And hopefully, it will feel the same way to you as you listen.

I'm preparing to cringe often during the upcoming VH1 Storytellers episode. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

There is a certain feeling you get in your mouth when you drink water or milk; it's like your mouth knows that they belong there. They mesh right in. Now, I'm no scientist, but I feel the molecules in milk and water are more circular or soft, rolling, wave-like — more akin to the cells already existing in your body, far different from the triangular pointed saw-wave feeling you get when you drink a fizzy water or a beer or something bubbly that clashes with the body. A feeling that's not necessarily bad — sometimes that clash is fun. That's why we love those things, but we need the water and the milk to live. As we worked on Evil Urges, our last album, we strove to make the experience fizzy and jarring and disorienting, and hopefully in a way that was fun for the listener. But as life goes on and changes you, you change the music you make. As we were working on this new album, Circuital, I felt in my body and mind that its molecules were more easily absorbed in a natural and nourishing way. And hopefully, it will feel the same way to you as you listen.

:punch

This is amazing.

I want some of whatever he's smoking..

unsure.gif uhoh.gif twitchsmile.gif yeaahh.gif ermm.gif

I showed this to a friend of mine who happens to be a psychiatrist. She evaluated it and said she believes it a pretty classic example of what mental health professionals call "fucking with people". She said there is probably nothing to worry about and we could all relax.

Coming from a long-time MMJ fan that has loved them live several times, I think the JJ (or YY :rolleyes ) solo album has the potential to be incredibly bad. I've come to the conclusion that Jim is a weird dude that I just don't connect with at times. He has come up with some really head scratching interview comments and songs in the last few years. The thought of him having an unchecked creative outlet honestly scares me a little bit.

I'm not sure where the difference lies between a JJ solo record and a MMJ record. I'm sure JJ has full creative control over MMJ and the band are there to realise his vision (I may be well off base here but I think that's the case). The 'weidness' is becoming increasingly apparent with recent MMJ releases. I do find his comments a bit to 'out there' for my taste but the record could still be interesting. I would say that Tennessee Fire is one of my favourite MMJ albums and that one was, from what I understand, pretty much solely the work of JJ.

...and did we every find out what a 'penutbutter pudding surprise' was?

I'm not sure where the difference lies between a JJ solo record and a MMJ record. I'm sure JJ has full creative control over MMJ and the band are there to realise his vision (I may be well off base here but I think that's the case). The 'weidness' is becoming increasingly apparent with recent MMJ releases. I do find his comments a bit to 'out there' for my taste but the record could still be interesting. I would say that Tennessee Fire is one of my favourite MMJ albums and that one was, from what I understand, pretty much solely the work of JJ.

I agree, he no doubt has creative control in MMJ. More so than being checked by his bandmates, I think he is still somewhat constrained by the past history of the band and other people's expectations. MMJ has built a legacy and he doesn't want to ruin it. However, his solo album could be his true experiment where all of the bat-shit-craziness comes to the surface. Don't get me wrong, I'll still probably buy it on the day of release, I'm just falling a little more out of love with these guys with each new venture. After "Z" they were on the verge of being huge and they so far have fumbled away the opportunity. Maybe the "peanut butter pudding surprise" is what dribbled down the back of Jim's leg when he couldn't handle the pressure. :shifty

Maybe the "peanut butter pudding surprise" is what dribbled down the back of Jim's leg when he couldn't handle the pressure. :shifty

That's not an image I needed in my mind. Thanks for that!!

I do like the new record but I agree with you, with Z and Okonokos they hit a level that they have, thus far, not returned to. Z is a near perfect album for me.

I showed this to a friend of mine who happens to be a psychiatrist. She evaluated it and said she believes it a pretty classic example of what mental health professionals call "fucking with people". She said there is probably nothing to worry about and we could all relax.

Love it. That psychiatry degree is really paying off. ;)

That's my understanding of it too. And that album is usually one of the top contenders for me. Ranking MMJ albums, to me, is almost like ranking Wilco albums...the favorites are always changing.

I agree, he no doubt has creative control in MMJ. More so than being checked by his bandmates, I think he is still somewhat constrained by the past history of the band and other people's expectations. MMJ has built a legacy and he doesn't want to ruin it. However, his solo album could be his true experiment where all of the bat-shit-craziness comes to the surface. Don't get me wrong, I'll still probably buy it on the day of release, I'm just falling a little more out of love with these guys with each new venture. After "Z" they were on the verge of being huge and they so far have fumbled away the opportunity. Maybe the "peanut butter pudding surprise" is what dribbled down the back of Jim's leg when he couldn't handle the pressure. :shifty

Sounds like another band...

That's not an image I needed in my mind. Thanks for that!!

I do like the new record but I agree with you, with Z and Okonokos they hit a level that they have, thus far, not returned to. Z is a near perfect album for me.

Z. Perfect.

Z. Perfect.

Even the B-sides on that record are amazing. Chills and How Could I Know both should have made the album which is ironic becuase I usually accused MMJ of putting two many tracks on, especially At Dawn and It Still Moves.

I am more excited about the live box set coming out than anything else. Has anyone seen confirmation that it is for sure the 5 night NYC run?

I've not seen any confirmation yet, although I'm pretty confident thats what it will be (Not sure if they will be able to include all the cover versions). The free downloads definatley had the feel of being part of a larger package.

This is way wrong. They may not be making the music you want them to make, but saying they've fumbled the opportunity is false. The band has only gotten bigger and bigger since Z, which seems to be what Jim's wanted all along. Look at the venues they're playing now. They didn't blow a chance at being huge. They are huge.

This is way wrong. They may not be making the music you want them to make, but saying they've fumbled the opportunity is false. The band has only gotten bigger and bigger since Z, which seems to be what Jim's wanted all along. Look at the venues they're playing now. They didn't blow a chance at being huge. They are huge.

They are not huge. They would not sell out the UIC Pavilion for three nights like Arcade Fire just did, and I don't know that I would even classify AF as "huge" yet. MMJ is playing bigger venues the last couple of years, but I would argue that it is in spite of Evil Urges. They have gotten bigger based on their live reputation, and their live show is held up almost entirely by Z/ISM/At Dawn heavy setlists. I have been to four shows since the release of Evil Urges, and other than "Smokin from Shootin" and maybe "Touch Me 2" the Evil Urges stuff largely killed the energy in the room. Maybe they'll surprise me and the new album will sell over 100K copies it's first week, but I'm guessing it will be closer to 60-70K and drop off the radar quickly thereafter. They could have been much bigger by now with a good album to follow up Z.

Arcade Fire won an Album of the Year Grammy, and they play and sell out venues like MSG. There isn't much further for a band to go, so I don't know what you do consider huge. Arcade Fire isn't huge for an "indie" band. They're huge, period.

Point is, MMJ is getting bigger and bigger, so you can't say they blew the opportunity. By all indications, Jim is making exactly the music he wants to make, which isn't the same as the music he used to want to make. If he can do that while somehow getting bigger and bigger with each album, then good for him. Even if it is on the basis of their live reputation, he's getting to play his current music to bigger crowds than he has in the past. The fact that new MMJ material gets this much discussion, good and bad, is proof that they've gotten bigger. I just don't get how you can argue that a band playing to crowds like MMJ's missed the chance to be big.

But Evil Urges is my favorite MMJ album, so I'm a terribly biased newer MMJ fan.

They are not huge. They would not sell out the UIC Pavilion for three nights like Arcade Fire just did, and I don't know that I would even classify AF as "huge" yet. MMJ is playing bigger venues the last couple of years, but I would argue that it is in spite of Evil Urges. They have gotten bigger based on their live reputation, and their live show is held up almost entirely by Z/ISM/At Dawn heavy setlists. I have been to four shows since the release of Evil Urges, and other than "Smokin from Shootin" and maybe "Touch Me 2" the Evil Urges stuff largely killed the energy in the room. Maybe they'll surprise me and the new album will sell over 100K copies it's first week, but I'm guessing it will be closer to 60-70K and drop off the radar quickly thereafter. They could have been much bigger by now with a good album to follow up Z.

great points. their rise in venue size the last 4-5 years is not due to Evil Urges whatsoever

great points. their rise in venue size the last 4-5 years is not due to Evil Urges whatsoever

Hmmm...it is a part of their identity.

I look at it this way: MMJ is a really cool hippy band that is a killer live act. The very fact that they are enjoying the succes they have is really encouraging to me. If this new release makes them break larger...great. But they are already bigger than I ever thought they wuld be.