My Morning Jacket...

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

for comparison sake... my list is currently 30 albums and Radiohead's is at the bottom of that list ;)

THANK YOU!!!!!!! By the way I've got an unopened King of Limbs collector, newspaper,big deal, blah bla blah bla bla vinyl that is going to remain unopened until I sell it and somebody else opens it.

Set your DVR's. Storytellers tonight 11 EST.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! By the way I've got an unopened King of Limbs collector, newspaper,big deal, blah bla blah bla bla vinyl that is going to remain unopened until I sell it and somebody else opens it.

Set your DVR's. Storytellers tonight 11 EST.

ha ha.

i sold my KoL before it even arrived (not sure why i convinced myself i needed it anyway... *sigh* caught up in the excitement i guess), looked at a friends before mine arrived, i was totally ok with my decision :)

ha ha.

i sold my KoL before it even arrived (not sure why i convinced myself i needed it anyway... *sigh* caught up in the excitement i guess), looked at a friends before mine arrived, i was totally ok with my decision :)

Every once in a while I'll spring for packaging but typically I buy records to listen to. I thought this record was going to be epic so I bit on the newspaper gimmick. I seriously can't see myself wanting to throw KoL on the turntable.

First and only (so far) MMJ record I bought/owned was Z and I thought it was pretty good. I think Best Buy had it for $7.99 or maybe even cheaper, so I bit. Everything I heard circa Evil Urges didn't really interest me, so I never got it.

Sitting here filling out a job app, watched Storytellers, and then decided to stream Circuital.

I'm pleasantly surprised.

Victory Dance really hit me out of nowhere, but I can kinda see it's relation to Dear God from Monsters of Folk.

I think I will pick this up along with the Death Cab record tomorrow.

p.s. I quite like TKOL.

I've really tried to get into these guys, but it's just not there. I tried Z, Okonokos, and Evil Urges, and MOF. I saw them open for Wilco in 2005. I DVR'ed the storytellers and tried to watch it over the weekend. Nothing. The storytellers was actually a bit painful to watch.

There have only been a handful of albums I would say I love, and a few more that I like a lot (probably in the 25-30 range total), but I wouldn't call that a good year. Especially since beyond that, everything has been pretty uninteresting or just bad.

wendy, thanks for posting the clip! i was at that show: eryka w-mmj KILLED. the place absolutely came apart!

at long last i can get over having missed that dallas show where she performed "tyrone" with them. :whew

granted i'm a cheerleader for mmj, but i am digging this album. music for dancing, hollering, hammock swinging. i am in.

also: last month before a show in lexington i heard their sound check from outside. i couldn't hear very well. it was windy and the sound was coming in and out. but i heard something that made me stop what i was doing. i didn't recognize the song. it kept getting bigger and bigger. i got chills sitting there in the direct sun. turned out to be victory dance.

i give this album: :coffeecup :coffeecup :coffeecup :coffeecup

There have only been a handful of albums I would say I love, and a few more that I like a lot (probably in the 25-30 range total), but I wouldn't call that a good year. Especially since beyond that, everything has been pretty uninteresting or just bad.

we're not even half through 2011 yet though... 25-30 good albums i like at the half way point isn't too damn bad imo.

au contraire, this year's been excellent.

I agree. There have been some great albums this year, Circuital being one of them. There are also, for me, some highly anticipated records due later in the year (Wilco, Tom Waits, The Jayhawks)

we're not even half through 2011 yet though... 25-30 good albums i like at the half way point isn't too damn bad imo.

I see your point. I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that even with 25 albums I like, there's nothing at the top. Nothing that I'll be reaching for months from now. Plus, a lot of my favorite artists have put out disappointing efforts this year, with MMJ just being the latest. After listening to their entire catalog of mostly great albums, Circuital pales in comparison to even the lesser ones.

Hopefully Bon Iver can break the slump.

my favorite albums are Kurt Vile & Bon Iver ;)

i can tell you that i've been listening to the Vile album for nearly 4 months now and still love it.

I didn't like it. But I've got a couple of friends who love the Kurt Vile album, too. I might have to give it another try.

I see your point. I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that even with 25 albums I like, there's nothing at the top. Nothing that I'll be reaching for months from now. Plus, a lot of my favorite artists have put out disappointing efforts this year, with MMJ just being the latest. After listening to their entire catalog of mostly great albums, Circuital pales in comparison to even the lesser ones.

Hopefully Bon Iver can break the slump.

The Bon Iver album is great. My favourite so far is the new Decemberists record. Hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason.

he's been a favorite of mine since he was in The War On Drugs (their new album is ace too), but i think he knocked it outta the park with this one for me personally.

total agreement.

i liked Childish Prodigy and Square Shells quite a bit too, but the songwriting on this one is even stronger.

I'm really not getting the hate on this one. Is it their best? No. But it is certainly an interesting and enjoyable record. These guys have come a LONG way since Tennessee Fire.

If that is the standard by which you judge them, then you are traveling down an age old road that leads fans to become disenchanted when a band grows.

Kind of familiar fan reaction territory here for people that have been paying attention.

The Bon Iver album is great. My favourite so far is the new Decemberists record. Hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason.

yeah, that one took me by total surprise... it's my favorite Decemberists album since Her Majesty and should def end up in my top 10 at the end of the year still.

So I gave Circuital my full attention last weekend while sitting on a dock by a lake, drinking a few beers and looking at the night sky. I must say that it worked for me then. And I gave it the headphone treatment a few days ago when I was laid up sick on the couch. Dug it again. I still don't like the use of the children's choir on "Black Metal," though. Felt like it could've gone without...

So I gave Circuital my full attention last weekend while sitting on a dock by a lake, drinking a few beers and looking at the night sky. I must say that it worked for me then. And I gave it the headphone treatment a few days ago when I was laid up sick on the couch. Dug it again. I still don't like the use of the children's choir on "Black Metal," though. Felt like it could've gone without...

Not that it makes a huge difference, esp. if you don't like the sound of the choir in general, but it was actually a group of women in the choir, no children. I thought it was a group of kids also. Here are the actual singers from the recent webcast concert:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FCMahgeetah?blend=13&ob=5#p/u/0/35Ex--5pl4w