My Morning Jacket...

Shug, it was great to meet you...albeit way too briefly. i have to concur...what we witnessed was pretty epic. in fact i think the Official Rankings of Best Current Live Bands just swapped it's numbers 1 and 2 - MMJ now followed by Wilco.

I forgot to mention the Curtis Mayfield cover Move On Up with John Oates sitting in. Didn't know he could play lead guitar, its was out of left field, but kinda cool.

Likewise, elephantstone! So much commotion and so many people to hang out with at the tailgate party and the show. Next time I hope we get to sit down and have a bourbon and a chat.

Can hardly believe I get to see em three nights in LA next month, too and then one last Wilco show in 2012 in Tucson. Its been a damn good year for live music for me!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

anyone been able to d/l the red rocks shows yet?

I thought I'd downloaded the first show a couple nights ago, but it turns out two songs were missing. I looked at MMJ's message board and it looks like others had the same issue. I guess they're still working on it.

Something was clearly wrong, as each song was downloaded multiple times.

Just got back from seeing MMJ in Milwaukee

It was only my 4th time seeing the band but it was an absolutely great show and they are so much fun live.

My only complaint would probably be the setlist. It was great and all, but not very spontaneous. As I said it was only my 4th show, but I think I only heard two songs that I hadn't seen live before. I think they played 25 songs and that inluded

Magheetah

The Way that he Sings

Outta my System

Evil Urges

It Beats 4 U

Golden

Black Metal

Victory Dance

Circuital

I'm Amazed

Anytime

One Big Holiday

Wonderful

Wordless Chorus

Gideon

Touch Me Pt 2

All 16 of those seem pretty standard for the band,

Only 1 song (War Begun) from Tennessee Fire was a little disappointing, I was hoping to hear more from this one as they don't play them live too often.

But it's hard to complain because some of the gems of the show were

Honest Man

Phone Went West

X-Mas Curtain

Strangulation

War Begun

Overall a great show, but I think Wilco's residencies have spoiled me with their variety!

sound quality is phenomenal. only gripe is that night 1 is missing two songs: "First Light" and "Masterplan". kind of a bummer, but still nice that they are even doing this at all. the only response back about those two songs is kinda laggin':

Unfortunately a couple songs from the first night of Red Rocks are not included in the official bootlegs release. Hope you enjoyed the show!

Download Support

I'm "re-living" night 2 right now and loving it.

There's a nice audience recording of night one on archive.org, so I just added the missing songs. Not a perfect solution, obviously, but it works.

The recordings sound fine, although there is occasionally some weird editing between the tracks (gaps, some repeated transitions) that gives the downloads something of a slapdash feel. The Wilco downloads are more professional. I think MMJ made a mistake by announcing these downloads before the shows were played, and then they scrambled to get them on the site before they really knew what they were doing. Still good shows, though.

Strange they'd leave those two tracks off. "Masterplan" is one of my favorites. Oh well...I'll probably get both -- particularly because the setlists are completely different both nights. Thanks everyone!

love masterplan was bummed when this wasn't included.. the recordings are good but could be better quality. the wilco boots are way better sound wise...

The recordings sound fine, although there is occasionally some weird editing between the tracks (gaps, some repeated transitions) that gives the downloads something of a slapdash feel. The Wilco downloads are more professional. I think MMJ made a mistake by announcing these downloads before the shows were played, and then they scrambled to get them on the site before they really knew what they were doing. Still good shows, though.

Those repeated transitions are the one thing that's bothered me about the recordings. I can ignore gaps and static, but those repeats are really strange. Overall I'm really happy with the purchase.

Regarding the missing tracks, I read that there were some techinical issues during the show which may be at fault. I wasn't there, but that sounds like a reasonable guess to me.

I was listening to Z the other day.. To me, MMJ peaked on that album, and it's been kind of down hill ever since. What a fantastic album...

I don't know if I'd agree with that.

I think Circuital is good, and Evil Urges has a few good songs.

Similar to Wilco actually, with Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (the album)

I think Wilco fans were let down a bit with those, but at the same time, songs like Imposible Germany, You Are My Face and One Wing are all welcomed additions to any show!

Same goes for Touch Me part 2, Circuital and Holdin on to Balck Metal (Not a huge fan of this song, but seeing it live is so much fun!)

I agree that Evil Urges has a few decent songs, but doesn't have the flow and number of gems that Z has.

Circuital - Black Metal is a fun song and The Day is Coming is pretty good (love the Bonham style drums), but those are the only two that I'll really listen to..

I was listening to Z the other day.. To me, MMJ peaked on that album, and it's been kind of down hill ever since. What a fantastic album...

I'm not as familiar with the MMJ catalogue, but I love At Dawn, and have had a hard time warming up to Circuital.

I really love "At Dawn", too, but "Z" is probably my favourite.

Does anyone have any comments about their recent covers? I thought "Rocket Man" and "It Makes No Difference" on the Red Rocks boots were well done.

I had an incredible time at the Pittsburgh show the other day. I probably said this last August when I saw MMJ, but this was by far the best concert I've been to. The evening was absolutley peferct. The entire night was wonderful, but seeing Jim join Band of Horses for a song was a really cool, unexpected moment.

It was POURING rain on my way to Pittsburgh, but miraculously the storm missed the city. We just had a few rain drops at the end of Band of Horses set and while MMJ's crew was setting up. I would have been devestated if the show was cancelled.

Somehow I ended up on the rail - I can't believe how easy it was to do that despite showing up 30 minutes after the gates opened. I decided to take my little camera with me and ended up with some great photos. I was pleased to find that I was capable of taking photos and singing along at the same time! I know some concertgoers hate the amateur photographers, but I think it was worth it this time. I put some up on Flickr if anyone's interested: trampled_moss

• 3 weeks later...