NFL Thread (2008 edition)

Pretty amazing to see either of those teams put up over 40 points. What happened? I was watching and figured, alright, this will be like 6 - 3, and then the Vikings marched right down the field and scored and then the Bears followed suit. Kyle Orton looks pretty sharp this year, actually.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty amazing to see either of those teams put up over 40 points. What happened? I was watching and figured, alright, this will be like 6 - 3, and then the Vikings marched right down the field and scored and then the Bears followed suit. Kyle Orton looks pretty sharp this year, actually.

Yes, he does. He actually threw 4-5 touch down passes. 2 dropped by Booker and a fumble at the goal like by Clark.

I think it was just one of those games, where it's a shootout. Not expected between these teams, of course.

A lot of the Bears' points were due to Vikings special teams errors or bad decisions. They squibbed 2 or 3 kickoffs because they were afraid to kick it to Hester. I understand he's a dangerous player, but that gave the Bears a very short field to work with. I'm just glad the Vikings kept it close in Chicago. Our passing game is slowly coming around and defenses cannot just key in on Peterson anymore.

Detroit Lions fan here....hopefully one day they will join this NFL I have heard so much about

good post

The more I watch football the more I realize that games are won and lost on special teams more often than on offense or defense.

And at the line of scrimmage. The best runningbacks and QBs all have great offensive lines.

The more I watch football the more I realize that games are won and lost on special teams more often than on offense or defense.

Sometimes true in close games, but I have to agree that line play almost always is predictive of the game's outcome. If your O-line monsters are shoving guys around, opening running lanes, and preserving the pocket and if your D-line is effectively hurrying the QB, getting their hands up to bat passes, and clogging opposing RBs then the game is basically yours to win.

The thing about special teams TDs is that they are "free" points that affect momentum as much as anything else.

And oh yeah... just hail, baby!

2nr0ux4.jpg

The thing about special teams TDs is that they are "free" points that affect momentum as much as anything else.

Oh, I don't disagree with how imporant line play is. But when I say special teams, I mean everything about special teams, and not even the points. I mean field position on both ends -- consistently pinning your opponents deep and/or picking up net yards because of solid returns. Field position changes how the entire game is played. (And penalties on special teams can kill you -- those blocks in the back are so difficult to recover from).

I mean field position on both ends -- consistently pinning your opponents deep and/or picking up net yards because of solid returns. Field position changes how the entire game is played.

This is true. I think the Bears have had the best starting field position in the NFL since Hester has been doing his thing. Not always from returns, but short kicks, etc.

Oh, I don't disagree with how imporant line play is. But when I say special teams, I mean everything about special teams, and not even the points. I mean field position on both ends -- consistently pinning your opponents deep and/or picking up net yards because of solid returns. Field position changes how the entire game is played. (And penalties on special teams can kill you -- those blocks in the back are so difficult to recover from).

You never appreciate how important punting is until your team has some scrub back there shanking 'em and constantly leaving the opponents starting off only 55 yards away from the end zone.

How fucking confusing is it that both Jarvis Green and BenJarvus Green-Ellis are on the Patriots?

Huh?

Anybody want to answer my question with something other than another question?

Huh?

Huh?

There is a defensive end who plays for the Patriots named Jarvis Green. There is also a rookie running back who plays for the Patriots (and carried the ball a LOT in the second half last night) named BenJarvus Green-Ellis, whose name sounds like the aforementioned defensive player, surrounded by a different guy named Ben Ellis. It's really not all that confusing, but it's a little odd.

Huh?

You.