NFL Thread (2008 edition)

Mike Singletary is the new 49ers head coach.

Good for him. I hope he does well and either hangs onto that job or quickly gets another one. I was kinda hoping the Bears would give him a shot when they hired Lovie Smith.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for him. I hope he does well and either hangs onto that job or quickly gets another one. I was kinda hoping the Bears would give him a shot when they hired Lovie Smith.

he's interim, correct?

Pity the coach who has to look across the field at the eyes of Samurai Mike.

RE: Giants at Steelers

THAT was a fucking football game.

Is there any evidence that Singletary is a good coach, though? I mean, the Niners defense was pretty terrible under his watch.

None, and his rant was ridiculous. Amusing as hell, but ridiculous.

How so?

For one, he's an interim coach, and he basically admitted, after one week, that he can't handle today's players. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. College or high school maybe. Do you think Vernon Davis cares about what happened? Not even a little. NFL coaches have to put up with a certain amount of bullshit, and every team has these type guys.

Singletary wont put up with ME first guys, he is the boss, if Vernon Davis or any other players dont get that then trade or cut their asses, Singletary is the kind of guy who deserves respect, he has obviously been at the top as a player and has forgotten more about football than Vernon Davis knows...but no there is no proof he will be a good head coach, I do like that he wont put up with selfish players though, too many coaches do that, he may be better suited as a college coach but I think he can do ok in the NFL with the right players, what SF really needs is a new GM

For one, he's an interim coach, and he basically admitted, after one week, that he can't handle today's players. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. College or high school maybe. Do you think Vernon Davis cares about what happened? Not even a little. NFL coaches have to put up with a certain amount of bullshit, and every team has these type guys.

Doesn't keep me from liking it. If the ownership won't support him, it becomes useless but I sure like it when an asshole is called an asshole.

It really depends on what the mindset is for the entire team. If they think Vernon Davis was out of line, the support for the head coach will be much higher.

Singletary wont put up with ME first guys, he is the boss, if Vernon Davis or any other players dont get that then trade or cut their asses, Singletary is the kind of guy who deserves respect, he has obviously been at the top as a player and has forgotten more about football than Vernon Davis knows...but no there is no proof he will be a good head coach, I do like that he wont put up with selfish players though, too many coaches do that, he may be better suited as a college coach but I think he can do ok in the NFL with the right players, what SF really needs is a new GM

EVERY COACH in the NFL would love to rant and rave every week about their lazy me-first players. But they don't do it, because it doesn't work. They are hired and are successful in large part due to their ability to put up with that kind of crap and get the most possible out of these top-shelf athletes. Show me the last ranting and raving lunatic coach who won a superbowl.

EVERY COACH in the NFL would love to rant and rave every week about their lazy me-first players. But they don't do it, because it doesn't work. They are hired and are successful in large part due to their ability to put up with that kind of crap and get the most possible out of these top-shelf athletes. Show me the last ranting and raving lunatic coach who won a superbowl.

ditka.jpg

there have been others...Gruden, maybe? I don't even disagree with you entirely. I know it's tough to be sucessful if you are calling players out your first week of interim coaching. However, it depends on how the rest of the team feels. That could motivate them.

Ditka ranted all the time, Bill Cower did at times, etc etc

Singeltary is in a much better situation than a lot of other guys, he can say whatever he wants, he doesnt need the money and will always be able to land a job as a LB coach of DC, Im glad when coaches call selfish players out, even if that digs a grave for them

Ditka ranted all the time, Bill Cower did at times, etc etc

Singeltary is in a much better situation than a lot of other guys, he can say whatever he wants, he doesnt need the money and will always be able to land a job as a LB coach of DC, Im glad when coaches call selfish players out, even if that digs a grave for them

I knew I would get the Ditka reference. The truth is, when Ditka really started the ranting, that is when he started to lose the team. During their Superbowl year and couple following, he wasn't really like that. Maybe to the media, but not trying to call out key players. Plus, he had the players, so it didn't really matter. Also, today's player is much different than the mid-80s.

After getting beat up by maybe the worst team in the league, I think Singletary comes off looking stupid and overly emotional. He's had the team all week, and they layed an egg, so obviously his motivational techniques didn't work.

I know people want to see a coach get emotional and call out players, etc, etc. I just don't see the value in this league. I think the players (and other coaches) think it's funny.

Wrong outcome, but good game. That damn safety. Jesus.

Well it was the right outcome for me, but i don't think the safety is to blame. Sure one could say a safety making it a tie game allows the Giants to play a bit less desperately, but it was a safety because the Steelers were kicking from deep in their own end. The Giants didn't win by one or two. Even if it is a clean snap, the Giants likely get the ball in as good or better field position than they got it after the safety and a FG still wins it.