NFL Thread (2008 edition)

Peter King said in his column today (part of which discussed the Taylor deal) not to be surprised if Shockey ends still ends up with the Saints.

I don't think he expected it to happen this quickly.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, best of luck to him. Giants are Eli's team now, and they really took off last year after Shockey broke his leg.

I'm glad the NFL decided to give the Patriots the easiest schedule. Here's hoping for another 18-1 season.

I will freely admit that I don't follow the machinations of NFL schedule-making but how much say does the NFL have in it? Isn't it a somewhat prescribed schedule of what divisions play each other in each year, particularly AFC v. NFC? Or do they only decide those match-ups one year at a time? And don't the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills have the same schedule as the Patriots (except that they have to play the Patriots)?

Guest Cousin Tupelo

No one ever accused Brett Fav-ruh of being a genius, but this gives a reading better than results from a Wonderlic Test.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported today that the evidence of tampering against the Vikings comes from Favre himself.

"Favre had continued to use his Packers-issued cell phone. When the Packers checked his phone log, there were repeated calls to (Vikings) coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell."

Guest Jules
I will freely admit that I don't follow the machinations of NFL schedule-making but how much say does the NFL have in it? Isn't it a somewhat prescribed schedule of what divisions play each other in each year, particularly AFC v. NFC? Or do they only decide those match-ups one year at a time? And don't the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills have the same schedule as the Patriots (except that they have to play the Patriots)?

Not much.

Yes.

No.

Not necessarily.

No one ever accused Brett Fav-ruh of being a genius, but this gives a reading better than results from a Wonderlic Test.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported today that the evidence of tampering against the Vikings comes from Favre himself.

"Favre had continued to use his Packers-issued cell phone. When the Packers checked his phone log, there were repeated calls to (Vikings) coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell."

Ha!

From Wikipedia:

Currently, each team's 16-game regular season schedule is set using a pre-determined formula:

* Each team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

* Each team plays the four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

* Each team plays the four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

* Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

Favre to the Jets would be great for the division, troublesome for the Pats...but they'd still beat 'em

Frankly the only team that couldn't beat the Jets in the AFC-East with (or without) Favre would be the Dolphins...which doesn't say much. It's going to make the division more interesting but it's not going to shake the division up greatly.

From Wikipedia:

Currently, each team's 16-game regular season schedule is set using a pre-determined formula:

* Each team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

* Each team plays the four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

* Each team plays the four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

* Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

pretty simple, and it accounts for why the Bungles can't get the Jets and Raiders on the shcedule for 8 games apiece