NFL Thread (2008 edition)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Tom Casale, former writer for Patriots Football Weekly.

Oh. :monkey

That's unfortunate. Luckily all that matters is what's on the field, I have no interest int he personal lives of these people.

Here's to another phenomenal season, hopefully with a better ending.

I'm going to the Baltimore/NE preseason game tomorrow night, can't wait!

I'm joining a new fantasy football league in which a trophy will be awarded.

Please confirm for me that the idea of fantasy football trophies are really fucking retarded.

I'm the commish of a league and we have a yearly trophy. The Champ's team name and personal name get added every year. They champ must take it on vacay with them and take pics with it. It adds to the fun.

Guest Moses
We can look in the archives for my thoughts on the ring argument.

i don't feel like looking through the archives - what are your thoughts on the ring argument?

I will not shy away from drafting Brady or Moss in the first round. They will be so motivated.

Still, theire record last year was better than every other team, and they only lost one game, by three points...so yeah, they're the best team in the NFL

fixed

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10919327

NAPA, Calif. -- One coach called him a workaholic. Another said he has displayed great maturity and professionalism. He shows up early to practice and stays late. In meetings, according to several players, he demonstrates an understanding of the offense they haven't seen from a rookie in years.

He runs with an aggressive, fancy-free style that one scout described privately to me as "Eric Dickerson on uppers." During a joint practice with the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, there was a bolt up the middle in which he broke through so fast it caused some of the 49ers players afterward to momentarily murmur about his speed.

The player is Darren McFadden, and if you want an early contender for Rookie of the Year, look no further.

Sure, it's camp, and sure, McFadden is one cracked fibula away from disaster. This is the NFL after all, which stands for (as Jerry Glanville once famously said) "Not For Long." There is a small army of rookies who demonstrated great promise in training camp only to later find themselves out of the league.

Out of Nowhere Man

However, if McFadden isn't the real deal it would be a shock.

The main reasons are not just his physical skills, but something far more important: his level of maturity. Please, raise your hand if you thought McFadden was too immature for the NFL. C'mon, don't be shy.

I was one of those people. His off-the-field issues -- including accusations he had fathered at least several kids out of wedlock -- scared the hell out of me to the point where I wouldn't have picked him in the first round. Was he Travis Henry Jr., who has since fornicated his way out of football? That was the concern.

What McFadden has done, at least for now, is alleviate any maturity scares. Several Raiders players say they have been impressed mostly with his work habits, on and off the field. Coaches call him a dream rookie. Unless McFadden is the greatest actor this side of Denzel, he has completely charmed everyone here, including the media.

"I can't find something to complain about with Darren," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. "He's always out here early, he's always out here learning."

Wait. Reverse the tape. Did an NFL coach say he couldn't find something to complain about? Most coaches would find fault with a Maui sunset. Yet that's how impressive McFadden has been thus far. He leaves normally crabby coaches with little to moan about.

This Oakland offense has the potential to be dangerous. Emphasis on potential. If quarterback JaMarcus Russell can provide a passing threat, then the Raiders running game could prosper.

While McFadden's maturity entering the NFL was in doubt, his skills weren't, and definitely aren't now. Several times in the practices against the 49ers his burst was stunning. McFadden can exploit any tiny crack and there's little fear of contact. McFadden isn't like many NFL rookies who shake and bake when they approach the line of scrimmage. He spots the hole and hits it quick.

It looks like the Raiders will use McFadden smartly. The plan right now is to rely heavily on runner Justin Fargas and work McFadden in, and it's highly possible the two will work in the backfield extensively together. McFadden has worked almost everywhere in the offense, including the slot, which makes him a potential nightmare matchup for defenses.

Imagine a tougher and faster Reggie Bush. McFadden's also an excellent route runner.

The risk for the Raiders? Because McFadden is learning so quickly and demonstrating such ability, the staff might be tempted to overuse McFadden. The potential problem in doing that is McFadden's physique. You don't realize how thin his lower body is until you see him up close. It's like he's running on two toothpicks.

But when those toothpicks get moving ... wow.

We knew McFadden had the talent, but you wondered about the cranium.

Now, in addition to a talented McFadden we're witnessing a mature one.

Who exactly saw that coming?

Favre to Jets, says ESPN.

Now that the deal is done, can we declare a Favre-free week (or more) in the national media?

Please?

I used to be indifferent to the guy, but now I hate his guts.

I'd say a year (and we'll likely get it as soon as he sucks it up for the Jets). I used to love him, being a Packer fan and all, and I still do for some things, but sweet Jesus, he's a whiny bitch.

I seriously have to wonder whether NBC got involved in the negotiations, to ensure that the deal was complete before their Olympics coverage began.

If I never hear about Favre again, it'll be too soon.