NFL Thread (2008 edition)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3545830

Hall of Fame football player and longtime NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw has died.

Upshaw, 63, had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Clear Channel Online first reported the story early Thursday morning. ESPN has confirmed the report.

Upshaw played offensive guard with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders from 1967 until 1981. He was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and an 11-time All-Pro selection. He played in three Super Bowls -- winning two -- and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987.

Upshaw was the Oakland Raiders' first-round choice in the first combined AFL-NFL draft in 1967. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound lineman had played center, tackle and end at Texas A&I.

Upshaw moved to guard with the Raiders, starting in 207 straight regular-season games until being forced out of action by injury for one game in 1981. Upshaw returned the next week and played in 10 more games in what turned out to be his final season.

Upshaw was a member of the bargaining committee for the NFLPA throughout his playing days in the late 1970s and early 1980s. After his retirement, he took over as NFLPA executive director in June 1983.

Upshaw led the players union through a strike in 1987 and years of anti-trust litigation against the league, including a brief period in which the NFLPA became a professional association rather than a union. The union eventually accepted a salary cap in return for free agency. Union members got a bigger share of league revenues because of the deal.

Upshaw came up against controversy in 2006 when some 325 retired players from the AFL and NFL came forward with accounts of being given minimal disability benefits.

Baltimore Ravens kicker Matt Stover had been leading an effort to oust Upshaw as the NFLPA executive director. In April, he e-mailed a plan to fellow player representatives to have a new union boss in place by March 2009.

Upshaw responded, speaking of the looming labor confrontation with owners when the current contract expires, by saying: "I would never leave until this deal is done."

Upshaw is survived by his wife, Terri, and sons, Justin, Daniel and Eugene Jr.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! Rudi Johnson?... Come on Lions. So our RB Roster has 2 rookie running backs and a veteran that joined the team just days before the start of the season.

And when Tatum Bell got cut right after the signing he stole Rudi's bags?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/...day-in-detroit/

Brandon Jacobs, yeah. I hope Kiawanuka is OK.

16-7 is about as typical a Giants score as you can get. The Redskins adjusted nicely. They did not look too bad at all.

16-7 is about as typical a Giants score as you can get. The Redskins adjusted nicely. They did not look too bad at all.

Seriously, though, about the only good thing I saw about the game last night was that the Redskins held onto the ball. Sure, they made some defensive adjustments in the second half, but they weren't able to score any points. Jason Campbell was awful. He looked nervous. Clock management at the end of the game was worse than awful. Campbell stopped a clocking play, wasting about five seconds, to have a conversation with a receiver. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO FUCKING TALK ABOUT - GET ON THE LINE, SNAP THE BALL AND FUCKING SPIKE IT. They should have kicked a field goal with 25 seconds left, then tried for the touchdown. Chris Cooley caught one ball. Too many penalties. Brandon Jacobs just murdered the defense. Too many arm "tackles". Four 3-and-outs (and one 4-and-out). I could go on.

After the first touchdown, the Redskins did limit the Giants to three field goals in the first half, but they didn't force a punt or turnover until the third quarter. And Rock Cartwright did a decent job of returning kicks.

We'll see how it goes next week.

Granted, it's the first game of the season, but after watching that game I'm definitely a lot more confident in the Cowboys winning the division.

Pfft.

14giants_slide3-1.jpg

Good day for football. Pretty close games. Jets, Fins was fun to watch.

Pats game was terrifying. I think Brady'll be fine. The hit looked a lot like the 2001 AFC Championship game hit (where Bledsoe came in and saved the day), Cassel played surprisingly well, so no real complaints here. I don't even want to hear the media's play-up of Brady's injury this week. He'll be fine.