NFL Thread (2008 edition)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3587018

The job of Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin has come under fire again from the one person that matters, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

In late January, ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen reported that Raiders owner Al Davis had drawn up a resignation letter for Kiffin a week into the year and asked the coach to quit.

Now, Davis is preparing to fire Kiffin as soon as Monday, regardless of how the visiting Raiders perform Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Mercury News has reported, citing several front-office sources.

"You have to look at the history. History is what it is, that he doesn't keep people very long," Kiffin said Wednesday of Davis, two days after the Raiders lost their season opener 41-14 to the Denver Broncos in Oakland.

"He's not the guy I hired," Davis said in mid-August, according to the report in the Bay Area newspaper.

Speculation about Kiffin's status began in early January after reports surfaced following the season that he wanted to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. The Raiders dismissed those reports and announced that Ryan was staying on as coordinator.

Kiffin was reportedly upset that he didn't have control of his coaching staff, leading Davis to ask for his resignation. If Kiffin were to resign, he would not be paid for the remaining two years of his contract.

"We don't have a general manager; everything goes through the owner," Kiffin said Wednesday. "That sets up a difficult situation at times. Knowing who the owner is, you know from Day 1 there's no job security."

Kiffin, 33, became the youngest man to coach a game in the NFL since Harland Svare took over the Los Angeles Rams as a 31-year old in 1962.

The Raiders went 4-12 in his first season in Oakland, doubling the team's win total from the previous year and showing signs of improvement in many areas.

But it marked the fifth straight year that Oakland has lost at least 10 games.

I agree to a large extent. Obama, if elected, will be a moderate Democrat and likely not any sort of change we can believe in. But you know what? I'll stand in place for 4 (8?) years gladly if it means not catapulting back to the 17th century courtesy of Caribou Barbie and McCain. I'll probably be legally allowed to marry before I die regardless of who's elected this November, but I'm confident it'll happen sooner with an Obama/Biden administration than it will on a McCain/Palin ticket.

Damn, the Chargers got screwed. Jay Cutler wouldn't have been able to show his face in Denver if Ed Hochuli had not blown the call...

a bit ugly, but I'll take it.

Ugly, indeed. I'm happy for you man, but I just could not watch the entire game (especially after watching both the Colts and Pats games).

a bit ugly, but I'll take it.

Yeah, the weather kind of limited the game plan a bit, but the defense looked very strong. I also finally saw the Burbs this weekend, that movie is so awesome. Bruce Dern is amazing: "One thing about these old guys - they never leave the house without their hair." Thread hijack over-- The Pats still look like a 11-12 win team to me, the Bills look like they might be this year's breakthrough team, the Vikings could be the best team in the NFC if they had even an average quarterback, Tavaris Jackson is a poor man's Kordell Stewart.

--Mike

Yeah, the weather kind of limited the game plan a bit, but the defense looked very strong. I also finally saw the Burbs this weekend, that movie is so awesome. Bruce Dern is amazing: "One thing about these old guys - they never leave the house without their hair." Thread hijack over-- The Pats still look like a 11-12 win team to me, the Bills look like they might be this year's breakthrough team, the Vikings could be the best team in the NFC if they had even an average quarterback, Tavaris Jackson is a poor man's Kordell Stewart.

--Mike

from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

CLEVELAND -- Some things never change. Autumn follows summer, the Allegheny River flows into the Ohio, and the Browns lose to the Steelers.

:rotfl

Damn, the Chargers got screwed. Jay Cutler wouldn't have been able to show his face in Denver if Ed Hochuli had not blown the call...

Cutler ends up looking good but he really blew that game. I was surprised to see Shanahan go for 2 near the end. Ballsy move. Stupid move? Had that play gone sideways he'd have been abused in the press. Now he too looks good. What a fickle scenario.

Cutler ends up looking good but he really blew that game.

Exactly. Their last two drives to the red zone ended with an interception in the end zone and (well, it didn't end here but by all rights it should have) a lost fumble from the two yard line. That play gets called correctly, and Cutler's mayor of Goat City.

I can't help it ... I just love seeing the Lions self-destruct like they did in the last seven minutes of the fourth quarter. I have no love for John Kitna, so I can't say I feel too sorry for him today. (Sorry, Lions fans.)

My schadenfreude was considerably tempered, however, by how the Bears pissed away their lead yesterday.

Cutler fumbled. Ref ruled it was an incomplete pass. They score a TD. They successfully go for 2. They win by 1.

Cutler lost the ball while bringing his arm up to throw (i.e., he tossed the ball straight up in the air long before his arm started moving forward). San Diego recovered the ball and was tackled out of bounds. Ueber-Ref Ed Hochuli blew the play dead, negating the recovery and giving the ball to Denver on the ten. He admitted to having blown the call on the PA, but by rule couldn't reverse his call. Cutler handed the ball off, then threw to Royal in the end zone. They went for two, and Cutler hit Royal again. Game over 24 seconds later.

Cutler lost the ball while bringing his arm up to throw (i.e., he tossed the ball straight up in the air long before his arm started moving forward). San Diego recovered the ball and was tackled out of bounds. Ueber-Ref Ed Hochuli blew the play dead, negating the recovery and giving the ball to Denver on the ten. He admitted to having blown the call on the PA, but by rule couldn't reverse his call. Cutler handed the ball off, then threw to Royal in the end zone. They went for two, and Cutler hit Royal again. Game over 24 seconds later.

I was in the Caesar's Palace sports book as this went down. It was surreal.