New Okkervil River has leaked

spaceball.gif

The sequel to Stage Names.

First impression: Simply beautiful. More varied and daring than the (IMO) underwhelming Stage Names.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey stranger! The Okkervil news is nice, but it's even nicer to see you around these parts. :wave

Hey Tamela! Yeah, been otherwiseoccupied. Come August, things will normalize. Hey to Rob.

LEO!! You're studying for something, aren't you? :cheekkiss Good to see you.

I would like to see Leo.

Hey Leo..was just thinking about you....

LouieB

Hey guys! Looks like I'll be in your town the first weekend in August. Cubs (sorry Lou)/Okkervil. Rendevous?

I think I'm the only person not digging this one so far. I wasn't the biggest fan of The Stage Names but there were songs on that record that grabbed me from the get go. I'm not finding that to be the case here.

I think I'm the only person not digging this one so far. I wasn't the biggest fan of The Stage Names but there were songs on that record that grabbed me from the get go. I'm not finding that to be the case here.

Dag, yo. I never got huge into Stage Names, as some people around here probably know, but this is way, way better. I can't find a single bad song, to be honest.

3 listens in.....

First listen left me flat. Not at all like the train tha knocked me over when I first heard Black Sheep Boy.

But after a couple more listensn, it's showing it's typical Okkervil River beauty and genius. And I haven't even soaked in the lyrics yet, which usually are interesting.

My only "complaint" is that it sounds more like a long EP. It's basically an 8-song record. But on the positive side, it meshes well together and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I am apparently one of the few that loved Stage Names, but this is really really awesome so far.

The Stage Names was my #3 album of last year, behind only The National & Andrew Bird. And thus far The Stand-Ins just cements the fact that Okkervil River can seemingly do nothing that I don't just love...

My only "complaint" is that it sounds more like a long EP. It's basically an 8-song record. But on the positive side, it meshes well together and doesn't overstay its welcome.

TSN was just a 9 song record... keeping in mind that it was originally conceived to be a double album, and that The Stand-Ins are basically TSN leftovers... not too much to complain about, eh? ;)

Hey guys! Looks like I'll be in your town the first weekend in August. Cubs (sorry Lou)/Okkervil. Rendevous?

Yes!! Unless I'm in Memphis. :hmm

And to stay on topic, I've listened to half of this and like it so far.