New Westerberg on Saturday!

i think my issue is moreso that it's traditional songs and structures smashed together and looped in and out with other random snippets... if it'd been a truly mix, moreso like a true mashup, i might not be as bummed that many of these great songs are cut short or overlapped, etc.

if that makes any sense...

basically what i'm saying is, i'd rather he have just gone to either extreme... made it one sort of messed up/warts and all mix, or a traditionally structured record. 49:00 is somewhere in between, and as a result doesn't quite work for me as much as it would one way or the other.

don't get me wrong, i do really enjoy it, especially for what it is, i just think some of these songs are too good and deserve to stand on their own.

i think my issue is moreso that it's traditional songs and structures smashed together and looped in and out with other random snippets... if it'd been a truly mix, moreso like a true mashup, i might not be as bummed that many of these great songs are cut short or overlapped, etc.

if that makes any sense...

basically what i'm saying is, i'd rather he have just gone to either extreme... made it one sort of messed up/warts and all mix, or a traditionally structured record. 49:00 is somewhere in between, and as a result doesn't quite work for me as much as it would one way or the other.

don't get me wrong, i do really enjoy it, especially for what it is, i just think some of these songs are too good and deserve to stand on their own.

This sums it up for me.

I won't likely listen to it as often as I normally would for a PW release due to the single mp3 format but I like most of what is on it. One thing that nobody can argue...the price was right! Kudos to pdub and his manager for releasing this. Stop gap or not, I always appreciate a release from this guy.

Can't let this languish on page 2. Even though I'm a huge PW fan, I wouldn't have known about this album if it wasn't for VC!

I read earlier that this is Amazon's top MP3 sale - the closest Paul will ever get to a #1 - and he deserves it, I just love how he bangs this stuff out in his basement, as frenetic as it is - it's a glimpse into the process for me. For the past 10 years he's been putting out the stuff that runs through his head, and I, for one, love the ADD nature of it. The thing I love about his songwriting most is the phraseplay - "tears rolling up our sleeves" or "it's a wonderful lie" or "something in my life is missing - by a mile". And I really really love the new song about his dad, it's so raw and painful it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

And I really really love the new song about his dad, it's so raw and painful it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Goodnight Sweet Prince

agree... the lyrics to that song are painfully honest. It's probably the only song that really suffers from the "ADD" format, since the last third of it (the most emotional part) is only played in the right channel with another song in the left.

Goodnight Sweet Prince

----------------------------

When the morphine kicked in

We watched our drowning man fight

I took two hits myself and

Held his hand as he died

Just between him there

I leaned and I whispered to his ear

Goodnight sweet prince

If you are at all still there

I whipped out my harp

and blew the old man some Taps

They said don

agree... the lyrics to that song are painfully honest. It's probably the only song that really suffers from the "ADD" format, since the last third of it (the most emotional part) is only played in the right channel with another song in the left.

yes.

one of the more annoying parts of the album for me :/

that song deserves a better treatment than it got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, now I have it. Has anyone who has it bothered to break it up by song? The reason I ask is that I have a friend who just lost his mom. Even though "Goodbye Sweet Prince" is about a father's death, I know many of the lyrics will resonate w/ my friend and I want to put it on a mix CD for him. PM me if you have it. I don't really want to take the time to download Audacity, etc, etc.

Okay, now I have it. Has anyone who has it bothered to break it up by song? The reason I ask is that I have a friend who just lost his mom. Even though "Goodbye Sweet Prince" is about a father's death, I know many of the lyrics will resonate w/ my friend and I want to put it on a mix CD for him. PM me if you have it. I don't really want to take the time to download Audacity, etc, etc.

Never mind. Did it on my own.