Conor Oberst - S/T

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening now for the first time on something other than my shitty laptop speakers. The songs are pretty good (maybe even really good), but yeah, he seems to have regressed as a singer on a couple of these tracks. I'm fine with that, but I can imagine some people won't be.

just curious since I'm at work and can't listen until I get home - how are the lyrics?

The reason I got into Bright Eyes in the first place was the lyrics, and was only impressed with 3 or 4 songs lyrically on the last album.

Listening now for the first time on something other than my shitty laptop speakers. The songs are pretty good (maybe even really good), but yeah, he seems to have regressed as a singer on a couple of these tracks. I'm fine with that, but I can imagine some people won't be.

Agree with you on the songs. A couple of listens and I'm really liking it. I don't see his singing regressing though. If anything, I hear less of the goat noises that he's made in the past. You definitely hear it a couple of times but I see it improving.

Cassadaga seems to get slack by people who didnt bother to listen to the album I think it had really well written songs and this album is another great songs album.

The guy just writes really well and his melodies can be great although this album is more Lenord Cohen than the poppy'ier Im wide awake......

hes never going to be an artist like beck or Jeff Tweedy his musical ark is already a mess but a beautiful mess at that.

I mean put First Day of my life up against the beatles Yesterday it satnds up. I say if you like focused songwriting and acoustic guitars dig in every album has gems.

I mean put First Day of my life up against the beatles Yesterday it satnds up.

that isn't really that high of praise.... Yesterday isn't even that great of a song honestly... wouldn't put it in my top 50 Beatles songs, maybe not even top 100...

I mean put First Day of my life up against the beatles Yesterday it satnds up. I say if you like focused songwriting and acoustic guitars dig in every album has gems.

that isn't really that high of praise.... Yesterday isn't even that great of a song honestly... wouldn't put it in my top 50 Beatles songs, maybe not even top 100...

Ummmm...... actually, you're both incredibly wrong. Yesterday is a great song. There's a reason why it's the most recorded song in the history of pop-music, and there's a reason why it's one of the most celebrated songs by one of the greatest ever songwriters. First Day of My Life, however, is one of the weaker songs on a pretty-ok album.

ANYWAYS! As for this new album... I like it, I like it a lot. I like it for the same reason I liked I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning... it sounds like it was recorded live and all the songs sound like they were the first or second time the band played them. Much, much, much stronger then Cassadaga. I wish Mike Mogis was on this record, his pedal steel would work nicely on a lot of these songs. Though I could do without the sound effects on songs like 'Souled Out!!!'.

I Don't Wanna Die (In the Hospital) is pretty good. Didn't like the live version(s) much at all. Overall, I give this record a 4 out 5. That is an 8 out of 10. An 80 of 100. Best thing he has done since Digital Ash and/or Lifted, depending on whether or not style plays a role in my preference.

Ummmm...... actually, you're both incredibly wrong. Yesterday is a great song. There's a reason why it's the most recorded song in the history of pop-music, and there's a reason why it's one of the most celebrated songs by one of the greatest ever songwriters.

o i c, thank you for correcting me :rolleyes

Yesterday is one of, if not THE most overrated songs in the entire Beatles catalog, sorry. it's always been way too schmaltzy for me.

i'm as big of Beatles fan as they come, and it's definitely not even close to being in my top 50 Beatles songs, no "right or wrong" about it. hell, it's not even close to one of my favorite McCartney tunes either.

Just because it's not one of your favourites doesn't make it "overrated". All I'm saying is a song with a legacy like that can't be THAT bad. There's plenty of highly regarded music that I don't care for, but I'm not going to call it bad just because it's not what I'm into! HOWEVER, I don't want to fight with you, Solace, so let's agree to disagree :)

Just because it's not one of your favourites doesn't make it "overrated". All I'm saying is a song with a legacy like that can't be THAT bad. There's plenty of highly regarded music that I don't care for, but I'm not going to call it bad just because it's not what I'm into! HOWEVER, I don't want to fight with you, Solace, so let's agree to disagree :)

right, but just because everyone and their brother has recorded a cover of it, doesn't mean it's in the Beatles top 10 either ;)

even IF i loved Yesterday, i'd still think it's overrated by the general populous