Conor Oberst - S/T

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the whole album is (or at least it was last week) up for stream on his website.

i wasn't too impressed the first or so listens, but now i really dig it.

i loved the humor of Hospital first, but now i seem to be loving Danny Callahan and the line,

"victory's sweet even deep in the cheap seats" from the opening track.

has he talked in an interview about Souled Out!!!

it almost sounds like someone walked in while they were tracking and they left it in.

then it sounds like they were talking while recording the backing track and instead of taking it out like usual, they decided to leave it in.

Cassadaga - i think there is a good album there, it's just too long.

i think if you take out 3 tracks there in the middle - soul singer, classic cars and middleman - you have a very strong album. the female background vocal arrangements are great, especially on Make a Plan.

(and they use two of the DuPree girls from Eisley)

i would also like it if that stuff at the beginning of the first track was split up from the "song" part so i could skip it, because i don't want to listen to that every time.

• 2 months later...

So here's a weird thing:

For some reason unknown to man, Bright Eyes were in my Harmony class today. They came in with a teacher and were "flies on the wall" for some of the class...3 people knew who they were...

Just saw Conor this past Friday at tiny Messiah College in Grantham, PA - Wilco played there a couple years ago as well. Pretty great show, Ben Kweller and Rig 1 opened. Kweller came out during Obert's encores, which included "Kodachrome" and a rousing version of "Ghostbusters"....yes, the whole song in its entirety.

Just saw Conor this past Friday at tiny Messiah College in Grantham, PA - Wilco played there a couple years ago as well. Pretty great show, Ben Kweller and Rig 1 opened. Kweller came out during Obert's encores, which included "Kodachrome" and a rousing version of "Ghostbusters"....yes, the whole song in its entirety.

Ray Parker Jr Ghostbusters? Please say yes!!!

Also, how was Rig 1? I'm going next week.

ah shit, you got the full Ghost Busters!? we weren't so lucky, they only fooled around with it when they did the band member intros.

So here's a weird thing:

For some reason unknown to man, Bright Eyes were in my Harmony class today. They came in with a teacher and were "flies on the wall" for some of the class...3 people knew who they were...

conor and mike mogis (bright eyes) - or do you mean conor and his current band?

ah shit, you got the full Ghost Busters!? we weren't so lucky, they only fooled around with it when they did the band member intros.

Oh yeah, the full Ghostbusters, in its entirety, as originally made famous by Ray Parker Jr.

Anyway, to hear Conor yell out "bustin makes me feel good" was fantastic.

Full disclosure: We got there late, when Kweller was on, so we missed Rig 1.

Oh yeah, the full Ghostbusters, in its entirety, as originally made famous by Ray Parker Jr.

Anyway, to hear Conor yell out "bustin makes me feel good" was fantastic.

that's awesome. have you seen Conor/Bright eyes before? I have a few times, and I think this was my favorite show. I was surprised by how hard it rocked.

that's awesome. have you seen Conor/Bright eyes before? I have a few times, and I think this was my favorite show. I was surprised by how hard it rocked.

I had never seen him before, but agree that it rocked pretty hard and was an excellent show. Do I dock him points for wearing a Jason Mraz-style hat during the show? Nah...he wore it well.

I'd like to see a setlist, it seemed like he played quite a few new songs. But I have to admit I'm not overly familiar with the solo album... I have not spun it as much as I'm Wide Awake or Cassadega. But the only ones from the new cd I recall him playing were Sausalito, (I Don't Wanna) Die in the Hospital, and I think Souled Out.

Never been that much into Conor or Bright Eyes, but this was one of the best shows I have ever seen. The songs on the new album are much better live. The lead guitarist was great. Also, the warm up act the Felice Brothers were really good, joined Conor for a song. Both bands had a Bob Dylan and the Band feel.

Also, the warm up act the Felice Brothers were really good, joined Conor for a song. Both bands had a Bob Dylan and the Band feel.

The Felice Brothers are the main reason I'm going to see these guys in Austin tommorow night.

I love that band. Sounds like I will enjoy Conor's band as well.