Wilco -- 7/26/08, Anchorage, AK

The new songs were also discussed in the Fairbanks thread, which was the first show where they were played.

I only took one picture during the Anchorage show - too much work to get the camera out of my pocket through the layers of sweatshirt and poncho that were protecting it. (The ADN photos are plentiful and of high quality, so I have lots to look at anyway.)

2714006689_564b0e05a7.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule of thumb around here is to wait a week before looking for it. Sometimes they're available a lot quicker, sometimes it takes months. But just so as not to put pressure on the tapers, we like to give them a week or so to get home (if they've traveled to the show), maybe take a day or two off, and then leisurely work their magic. :music

When the show is available, more than likely that info will show up in this thread. You can also check over in the Greatest Lost Track of All Time section, for trading and downloading info on this and lots of other shows.

:wave Welcome to VC!

Thanks to all who let us know how it went in Alaska- really was nice to hear. Great state and one of the best trips of my life years ago - my nepphew flew small planes there for a few years and is still a pilot back East now, near family.

thanks Paul and Brianne (sp? sorry) for the photos, set list and all - really can't wait for Tanglewood!!!

Rule of thumb around here is to wait a week before looking for it. Sometimes they're available a lot quicker, sometimes it takes months. But just so as not to put pressure on the tapers, we like to give them a week or so to get home (if they've traveled to the show), maybe take a day or two off, and then leisurely work their magic. :music

When the show is available, more than likely that info will show up in this thread. You can also check over in the Greatest Lost Track of All Time section, for trading and downloading info on this and lots of other shows.

:wave Welcome to VC!

Ok. Good advice. Guess I was just worried that it might not happen due to only seeing one taper set up. I'll sit tight and try to be patient.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Ok. Good advice. Guess I was just worried that it might not happen due to only seeing one taper set up. I'll sit tight and try to be patient.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

First time poster. To my knowledge, I was the only taper at the Anchorage show. I have been attending Bear Tooth/Moose's Tooth shows since the places opened and have seen some great music there. This was a super show in spite of the weather. There are very few tapers around and I have kind of evolved into the "official" taper for the company. Taping is a newer venture for me and I'm still learning. I was trying out a new Audio Technica AT822 stereo mic to an Edirol R-09 recorder at 24/44.1. I was on an 8 ft. stand with an umbrella jury-rigged over the mic to try and keep it dry. Set-up was about 20 ft. back from one of the stage stacks almost directly in front of Nels. I was very fortunate to have some new-found friends who helped me the equipment from being jostled around. In my opinion the sound came out really well. There is very little crowd noise and the only minor glitch is that my 4 gig card switched to a new file after 2 gigs. This was with about 2 minutes left in "Hoodoo Voodoo." There is an audible switch that I have not had time to merge those two tracks so they remain as two separate ones in my file.

I have circulated the show to the Moose's Tooth folks and am willing to ship a copy to someone who would like to upload the show to etree or a similar site. There is an mp3 version of the show that I posted for my sons in Eugene, OR and Estes Park, CO at http://www.sendspace.com/file/3r9vbc. If anyone is willing to upload the show, give a yell. I am leaving Anchorage tomorrow evening for Colorado so I'll be gone for about six days, but I will answer Emails.

BTW, if anyone lives near Loveland/Boulder/Estes Park, on Saturday my son is hosting the River Forks Inn Music and Arts Festival in Drake on Saturday, Aug. 2. Check it out at www.paulmaley.com.

I have received thousands of shows from friends over the years and am very happy to share this one.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the mp3 link. I like everyone else on this board is dying to hear these 2 new Wilco songs. We are truly spoiled.

I am sure the recording sounds fine. I will let you know. Anyways, as I was driving home tonight around midnight I was thinking if either of the 2

Alaska shows would show up. Sadly, this has truly made my night. :thumbup

I am super psyched to see Wilco at Tanglewood in 2 weeks. It will be my 15th time seeing them.

Thanks,

Kristofor

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the mp3 link. I like everyone else on this board is dying to hear these 2 new Wilco songs. We are truly spoiled.

I am sure the recording sounds fine. I will let you know. Anyways, as I was driving home tonight around midnight I was thinking if either of the 2

Alaska shows would show up. Sadly, this has truly made my night. :thumbup

I am super psyched to see Wilco at Tanglewood in 2 weeks. It will be my 15th time seeing them.

Thanks,

Kristofor

I should add that I only u/l the mp3 format for my kids and their friends who like to load the shows directly to their Ipods. I have maintained the shows in 24 bit and 16 bit flac only and that is the way they would be shared.

Jim

Hey Jim,

The recording sounds great. Really loving the 2 new tunes. Yeah, I immediately put the show in my iPod and only there it shall reside. I will keep my eyes/ears out for the FLAC bit torrent.

First impression :

One Wing - beginning guitar parts reminded me of The Cure(not sure which era). But than I went through my iPod and I realized it actually reminded me more of Interpol's Hands Away on Turn On The Bright Lights. I love the guitar sounds and lyrics and the ending is just amazing. Like nothing Wilco has done before.

Sunny Feeling - like people have been saying dark lyrics with an upbeat jaunty melody. I love it because it's a great tune and sounds fantastic and it helps that it's completely different to One Wing.

Thanks,

Kristofor

PS Enjoy Folks !

First time poster. To my knowledge, I was the only taper at the Anchorage show. I have been attending Bear Tooth/Moose's Tooth shows since the places opened and have seen some great music there. This was a super show in spite of the weather. There are very few tapers around and I have kind of evolved into the "official" taper for the company. Taping is a newer venture for me and I'm still learning. I was trying out a new Audio Technica AT822 stereo mic to an Edirol R-09 recorder at 24/44.1. I was on an 8 ft. stand with an umbrella jury-rigged over the mic to try and keep it dry. Set-up was about 20 ft. back from one of the stage stacks almost directly in front of Nels. I was very fortunate to have some new-found friends who helped me the equipment from being jostled around. In my opinion the sound came out really well. There is very little crowd noise and the only minor glitch is that my 4 gig card switched to a new file after 2 gigs. This was with about 2 minutes left in "Hoodoo Voodoo." There is an audible switch that I have not had time to merge those two tracks so they remain as two separate ones in my file.

I have circulated the show to the Moose's Tooth folks and am willing to ship a copy to someone who would like to upload the show to etree or a similar site. There is an mp3 version of the show that I posted for my sons in Eugene, OR and Estes Park, CO at http://www.sendspace.com/file/3r9vbc. If anyone is willing to upload the show, give a yell. I am leaving Anchorage tomorrow evening for Colorado so I'll be gone for about six days, but I will answer Emails.

BTW, if anyone lives near Loveland/Boulder/Estes Park, on Saturday my son is hosting the River Forks Inn Music and Arts Festival in Drake on Saturday, Aug. 2. Check it out at www.paulmaley.com.

I have received thousands of shows from friends over the years and am very happy to share this one.

Jim

Hey Jim

Our paths have crossed at several Mooses/Bear Tooth shows going back to pretty much their beginning. In fact it was you who gave me my very first Wilco live shows I had ever heard ( I had only heard their studio ).

Anyways, thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to hear the lossless. I would volunteer to upload the Torrent but I've only downloaded and seeded, I've never uploaded a fresh one. I'm afraid I'd screw up all the checksum fingerprinting whatevers. Thanks again Jim. As always, you're one cool dude.

Yet again Tweedy and the boys have taken us in a different direction. One Wing is incredible--it's just that simple. And while I'm still a little lukewarm on Sunny Feeling, I'm constantly amazed at the fearlessness of Tweedy and Co. Bravo, boys. I can't wait to hear how, if at all, these turn out on the new record.

Jim, I would be thrilled and delighted to get to upload this show! I'll be in touch...

Thanks!

The lossless flac version went out to you this morning in the mail. Depending on how the postal sled dogs are feeling you should get it in San Fran in a few days or a couple of weeks. Thanks for agreeing to upload to etree and I hope everyone enjoys it once it gets there.

Jim

Howdy - first time poster -

I flew up to Alaska to visit my mom in Palmer for my birthday, and then go see Wilco with her.

I'm the guy in the crowd shot from the Anchorage Daily News picture taking the picture of the stage.

I'll post some pics later today and links to YouTube for Tweedy's "why we came to Alaska" banter and the first half of It's Just That Simple.

Killer show, IMO - cannot wait to hear it again to see if the rain just made it more memorable or if the band really was 'on'

Peace

Ted

The lossless flac version went out to you this morning in the mail. Depending on how the postal sled dogs are feeling you should get it in San Fran in a few days or a couple of weeks. Thanks for agreeing to upload to etree and I hope everyone enjoys it once it gets there.

Jim

Thanks for sharing the ride.

I just transcribed the lyrics to One Wing from the version played at the Anchorage show.

(if that is what it is called).

This songs feels VERY Radiohead to me... the solos

We once belonged to a bird

Who cast it's shadow on this world

You were the best thing

And I was the curse

I did my best not to make things worse

for you

But is it true

I always knew this would be our fate

This is what happens when we separate

This happens to all dead weight eventually

We may as well be made of stone

We can't be phoned (?or "foam"?)

One way we'll never fight dear

Neither yours nor mine I fear

One wing

we'll never ever fight dear

Neither yours nor mine I feel

We can only wave goodbye

One wing

we'll never ever fight dear

neither yours nor mine I feel

we can only wave goodbye

Bye Bye

Sunny Feeling lyrics - also from the Anchorage show

Not sure of the word 'heighty' and 'I could never find out' - otherwise pretty sure of the rest.

Sunny Feeling

I was on my way home

from high school

I was stuck at the crossing

I dug in for a duel

Well at the last moment

I slammed on the brakes

My life split in two directions

Two separate fates

Got on the last flight

into rotterdam

couldn't hit the runway

so it took off again

"Aw no need to worry,"

the captain cut in,

"the winds are less heighty,

over in Berlin."

You know I won't be there for you,

So this is all I know is true,

Your darkest days are good for you,

The darkest night is nothing new

I could nearly answer

for myself

Is my life a cancer

or anybody else?

I could never find out

I could never say

I now realize

or nearly change my ways.

A sunny feeling is taken away (4 x)

I was on my way home

from high school

I was stuck at the crossing

Where the kids are still cruel

Oh, the kids are still cruel

The sunny feeling is taken away (4 x)

Thanks for the show it's great to hear the new songs.

One Wing - Sounds like in the same vain as Impossible Germany, I feel it still needs some work with stuff, Nels' solo is cool but I feel it's too much of the same old same old shredding vibrato stuff.

Sunny Feeling - Has potential to be a fun pop number, I don't like the falsetto thing in the verses and I still feel there could be more to it. I'm sure we'll hear these evolve quite a bit over the next year or so.

Sunny Feeling lyrics - also from the Anchorage show

Not sure of the word 'heighty' and 'I could never find out' - otherwise pretty sure of the rest.

Sunny Feeling

You should post this under lyrics and tabs....hopfully chords soon!!

thanks