Opening for Neil?

I recently saw Neil on the first night of his Massey Hall shows in November and after seeing what was probably the best live show I've ever seen and the single greatest performance of any song live (Ambulance Blues) I vowed to never ruin that experience of seeing Neil. Only if Wilco actually did open on a show would I break that.

As for Neil being I jerk I had the honor of meeting and talking to him after said show about my hometown (Sault Ste. Marie), Massey Hall among other things and he is one of the most humble and personable musicians I have ever met, super nice guy.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Neil Young and Wilco playing together is that it would need to be at least a 4 hour show to do both justice.

I've been a Neil fan for almost 40 years, but I have passed on seeing him live in recent years. Too high of ticket prices and large of venues, combined with the horrible crowd the last time I did see him have kept me away (for example, the drunk woman singing louder than Neil in the 6th row at a solo acoustic performance on every damn song.. - I'm surprised Neil didn't tell her to shut the hell up) . I remember with fondness the Rust Never Sleeps tour though. That was a great show, and I was young enough to put up with the arena venue. I also have to give Neil alot of credit for the Living With War album. For me, it is far and away the best thing he's done since Comes a Time, because of the urgency involved in producing it and the topics covered. Polished? No. Brilliant? Yes. Patriotic? hell Yes.

As for Neil being I jerk I had the honor of meeting and talking to him after said show about my hometown (Sault Ste. Marie), Massey Hall among other things and he is one of the most humble and personable musicians I have ever met, super nice guy.

I can see Neil being a jerk to work with, though he seems to be good to his fans. He follows his muse. If you're not on board with that, look out! Kinda like Tweedy. A lot like Tweedy or Bob Mould. I've met Mould several times and he is the coolest musician as far as going out of his way to be kind to his fans. I wouldn't want to be in a band with the guy though.

=

Both Dylan and Young are baby boomers.

As much as I would like to claim Bob Dylan as part of "my generation" he is actually from the one before, since he was born May 24, 1941 near the start of WWII and not after the war. Neil Young is right on the cusp at November 1945. The Baby Boom started in 1946 when the troops returned home and actually had time to make some babies. Actually born in 1967, Jeff is just at the tail end of the boom and just at the beginning of whatever Gen X is.

LouieB

BREAKING NEWS: Some People Have Different Tastes Than You

- Experts say that everything will be okay

So what is wrong with letting them discuss what their taste is.

The nays have it.

Yeah, like I think Starbucks burns the hell out of their coffee and some people like it.

Because they like bad coffee relative to good coffee and relative to really bad coffee and this not an opinion...this is FACT.

So what is wrong with letting them discuss what their taste is.

The nays have it.

I never said they couldn't discuss it.

Because they like bad coffee relative to good coffee and relative to really bad coffee and this not an opinion...this is FACT.

What?

As much as I would like to claim Bob Dylan as part of "my generation" he is actually from the one before, since he was born May 24, 1941 near the start of WWII and not after the war. Neil Young is right on the cusp at November 1945. The Baby Boom started in 1946 when the troops returned home and actually had time to make some babies. Actually born in 1967, Jeff is just at the tail end of the boom and just at the beginning of whatever Gen X is.

LouieB

The boom is usually recognized as having ended around 1959-60. By 1967 early baby-boomers themselves were beginning to have children.

The boom is usually recognized as having ended around 1959-60. By 1967 early baby-boomers themselves were beginning to have children.

Some never fit the mold of their generation. Dylan became a voice of the boomers. It seems Dylan was reluctant, however, he continued to release songs that were the pulse of the boomers. His old clips of fighting being put into a box/label by the media are hilarious. The same rebel feel of Morrison, but with coherence and cryptic humor that punched those dillholes in the mouth.

Let. It. Go. :thumbup

One of the other dillholes brought it up. Just keepin it real for the artisans that grow, buy, roast, and drink good coffee. The elite. But actually, it's prolly po (informed) folk that drink the good shit since it isn't sold at Starbucks at an inflated rate.

LouieB

I had a soc teacher that had different dates for that whole deal - his belief was that the baby boom extended to 1967. There is also the tweener label.

The problem with Neil Young and Wilco playing together is that it would need to be at least a 4 hour show to do both justice.

I've been a Neil fan for almost 40 years, but I have passed on seeing him live in recent years. Too high of ticket prices and large of venues, combined with the horrible crowd the last time I did see him have kept me away (for example, the drunk woman singing louder than Neil in the 6th row at a solo acoustic performance on every damn song.. - I'm surprised Neil didn't tell her to shut the hell up) . I remember with fondness the Rust Never Sleeps tour though. That was a great show, and I was young enough to put up with the arena venue. I also have to give Neil alot of credit for the Living With War album. For me, it is far and away the best thing he's done since Comes a Time, because of the urgency involved in producing it and the topics covered. Polished? No. Brilliant? Yes. Patriotic? hell Yes.

You missed out by not seeing him on his most recent tour.

I always thought the "boomer" thing was '46-'64, but that seems a little long.

That would be a bit early to have kids actually if the first one was born in about 46. I suppose a few baby boomers had kids then but I didn't have any until the 1980s and I was right in the middle of it.

I had a soc teacher that had different dates for that whole deal - his belief was that the baby boom extended to 1967. There is also the tweener label.
Yea, all that. I have a friend born about the time you were who always likes to be considered a boomer rather than a GenXer. Whatever that means.

I always thought the "boomer" thing was '46-'64, but that seems a little long.
In the old days (whatever that is) a generation was about 20 years. Things happen faster now I guess. In any event Bob Dylan was born at the tail end of the depression generation and at the beginning of the war, still a few years prior to the boom. Someone has a point that alot of people "spoke" for the boomers (whatever that meant), but the generation that created the folk boom of the 50s and early 60s which Dylan was a part of, was clearly a generation earlier than the generation that made rock its music. Dylan cleary had an impact on rock as well. Meanwhile the Beatles were pretty much not boomers either, but part of the era before that as well.

LouieB

LouieB

I think the decline from the baby boom peak had something to do with more widespread availability of birth control methods...

but as for it's influence on musical tastes, I never followed my peers anyway

isn't this a neil and wilco thread?

This happened in 1996 and it was really good:

61yW4FhaHKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazing. Zuma inspired. Renewed my faith in the master. Tribute to David Briggs - "Big Time". . . . "Loose Change". . . . "Slip Away". . . . "Music Arcade". . . . "Scattered (Let's Think About Living)" The true Neil fans know where it's at.