Opening for Neil?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally laughed out loud at what I thought was your funny bit of sarcasm. But you really mean it! :lol

Seriously, though ... my 18yo nephew would not like Neil Young either.

I don't know if giraffo's dislike of Neil Young is a reflection of a 40-year generation gap or just his personal musical taste. In any event, I appreciate giraffo's statements even though I disagree completely (except that last sentence, of course ;) ). I'm sure my age (52) gives me a different perspective on Neil Young. Every single one of my friends is a Neil Young fan, whereas it would not surprise me that many 20-year-olds are not.

Wilco has opened for the Rolling Stones, played Madison Square Garden, performed on Saturday Night Live, raised funds for Obama and many other charities, completed a career-spanning 5-night residency, and have performed in almost all 50 states. That's a lot of dreams coming true.

If this rumor is true of Wilco opening for Neil Young, sounds to me like another dream realized for Wilco. :)

I'm 17, and I absolutely love Neil. As a matter of fact, Neil, Dylan, and Wilco comprise my 3 favorite bands.

I have yet to have the pleasure of seeing Wilco live (going to my first show next week in Brooklyn) but I did see Neil Young & Crazy Horse in the early 90s and it was a great show. He did simply filthy, disgusting, unspeakable things to his guitar. Rarely has a guitarist wrung so much from so little technical proficiency. Not sure if he's still a good live act but I would be really, really psyched for a joint Neil-Wilco show.

I think it's great to bridge generation gaps and merge contrasting acts. As for Wilco opening for Neil Young, that would rock. We don't have to necessarily think of them as the "opener," as I'm sure a lot of people would be in attendance for Wilco. Can bands no longer share a bill? I mean, Willie fucking Nelson was Dylan's "opener," but a ton of fans came out to just see Willie. Obviously, both artists have mutual fans. Let's think of Wilco- if they want to do it, shouldn't we support them? It's not our career, it's not our art. Let the legends of today rock out with their elders while they still can. Seriously, how is this even an argument? You're not forced to go to a show. MMJ opening for Dylan was amazing. The Raconteurs opened for Dylan. Jeff Tweedy was just saying how he would love to model Wilco's career after Young and Dylan. Let the boys share some surreal nights with a great artist.

I've scoured the site and the net for the "Addendum" to no avail, but it looks like this tour is a go.

Not to put a damper on this, but last I checked Glenn was scheduled to perform with the Kronos Quartet on New York on Dec. 5 (though I don't think tickets have gone on sale yet, so it could probably easily be rescheduled).

Oh, man. I promised myself that I wouldn't get my hopes up because it's highly unlikely they'd play Vancouver (which both Neil and Wilco skip more often than not), but I would be over the moon if they toured together. :love

I saw Neil (acoustic and electric) many times in the early-mid 90s, but I haven't had the pleasure since the Greendale tour. It's time.

Neil's bass player supposedly mentioned to somebody on the summer Europe tour that they might be playing Vancouver in the fall, so it looks like we may be in luck... I wasn't planning on seeing Wilco again this year since I was at all five residency shows, but THIS would be worth a cross-country trek for. Neil's sets on this tour have been insane.

Really? He's always had an opening act when I've seen him (Blind Melon, Lucinda Williams, Jewel...and before those was the tour that Sonic Youth and Social Distortion opened. I didn't make it to that one, though.)

Neil used to be one of my absolute favorites, but I doubt I'll go see or buy anything by him anymore unless it's with Crazy Horse. Sorry Neil.

I have heard Wilco will be at the bridge along with Pearl Jam!!!!!

This looks like it could happen......Neil has said he is going to be touring for the next year off and on and he is finishing up tour 8/24...I bet he take off until November and Wilco will open a handful of show....I got to get me frequent flyer miles ready.

2 of my 3 all time favoriate artists...Now if they convince Plant to go on tour maybe Neil will agree to open a few shows for Led Zeppelin and Wilco can be the "warm up" band.

Wilco goes on stage at 6:30-7:30. They play YHF in it's entirety, then do a few extras

Neil comes on at 8:00-9:15.

LZ comes on at 9:45-12:00 (last 20 minutes Neil comes back on and they play like they played at the Rock on Roll HOF years ago)

haha

More news re: this item:

http://www.highroadtouring.com/tour/wilco/

The last two entries:

Sat Nov 29 '08

- Sat Dec 6 CANADA, Various Venues (See Addendum) Neil Young

Sun Dec 7 '08

- Tue Dec 16 USA, Various Venues (See Addendum) Neil Young

I've scoured the site and the net for the "Addendum" to no avail, but it looks like this tour is a go.

OK... gotta start saving my money now.

Did the doctor drop you on your head when you were born or is this April 1?

This is Tweedy's wet dream! And, real Wilco fans recognize it.

According to a source that spoke with a Wilco band member--THIS IS HAPPENING.

And, yes, they will be at Bridge, though Eddie V will likely be solo not w/PJ.

Of course, change is real when Neil is involved!

Until Tweedy can record anything as raw, emotionally compelling, and genre changing as the 'Tonight's The Night' disc, there is no need for a conversation as to who should open for who. Ol' Johnny Rotten Lydon himself called him and that tour the first real punk album.

I met Neil 2x. Both times he was a perfect gentleman albeit, not at hot rockstar peak as in the mid 70s.

Tweedy is approachable because he will never be at that legendary status due primarily to how the music business has changed and splintered audiences. As an example: pick up Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Live at the Fillmore East'. Who is opening for Neil? Miles F*CKING Davis. You will never get that kind of bill these days. Dolly Parton was going to open for the Rust Never Sleeps tour. But, in the end there was a change. I know people under 40, living in Chicago who haven't a clue to who Wilco is. The point being, Wilco are a wonderful band but still can benefit by any association with Neil--shit, just be happy it's not Rush.

As for the poster earlier up thread about Neil battling addictions: I think you have him confused with Crosby or Gram Parsons!

p.s.

The FA 2005 performance of 'Southern Man' is one of the greatest live experiences I have ever had the joy to witness. An angry, emotional Neil is unrivaled. I've seen ho-hum Wilco shows but never a dull Neil show.

___

personally, I hate his music (with the expection of some of that Massey Hall album and On the Beach), but it goes beyond that. I feel like if you're still kind of (relatively) an up-and-coming rock band getting more mainstream attention, the last person I'd want to go on tour with is Neil Young. Why? a) he's just another aging boomer relic who is pulling out the "rares" in order to wow the audience that grew up on his hits while simultaneously egging on your overzealous critic fans to give you more praise than you deserve. B) Each member of your band can singlehandedly outperform him and has made better records on their bad days than this guy's best days. however, due to the novelty fact that "he's freaking Neil Young!" you'll never be given the credit ('you' being Wilco) you really deserve.

I mean, come on, to be fair, I don't like Neil Young but I think we could all agree here Wilco puts him out of business in terms of actual showmanship. His songs, not that he can help it, are either given a folk rock or grunge rock treatment and they never are given the room to breath life. Whereas, you have a band like Wilco, with two superhuman musicians and probably the most likable singer-songwriter in his age group playing songs of more dense emotional (okay, opinion) and musical (this however I feel is fact) complexities-- the craftsmanship of the mentioned bringing a tight yet spaced out sound. I feel like Wilco going on tour with that guy is Wilco not giving themselves enough credit. Yeah, he's Neil Young, but you're doing now what he did yesterday in terms of making contemporary, fresh, new sounding music. You're not recycling as much as your contemporaries are, the music you make is as new now is his was then. You should be the ones on stage, you can't help it that the music business has (for the most part) aged more intelligently than him and you get overlooked.

don't get me wrong. if you wanna go see Neil Young, go see Neil Young. But everyone should be going ape over getting to see him open for Wilco, not the other way around. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm sure I sound backwards to probably 99% of the people here.

That's an honor that Miles let Neil play after him. When they billed the same deal with Steve Miller, he showed up late everytime so Steve would have to go first because he was a cheesy white motherfucker, or something like that.

That's an honor that Miles let Neil play after him. When they billed the same deal with Steve Miller, he showed up late everytime so Steve would have to go first because he was a cheesy white motherfucker, or something like that.

I read somewhere that Neil was inspired to jam after listening to John Coltrane. Perhaps that was good enough for Miles. It certainly explains the radical departure of the 1st and 2nd solo discs. For sure, Bill Graham had some inspired lineups!

Check some of these out, youngsters (heh)! :worship

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/sc/about/bill-graham.html

if this is true, it will be interesting to see how much tickets cost (since wilco holds to a different philosophy than neil). i wonder though, neil doesn't usually have an opening band/act unless it is his wife. will be cool to see if this rumor pans out.

Let's see, I've seen Neil alot, and I can recall some opening acts, among a few: Sonic Youth; Social Distortion; Jewel; Steve Earle; Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders. As much as I love Wilco (and I think they are making the best music out there these days along with Todd Snider), I would have to put Mr. Earle and Ms. Hynde in their category. In fact, the 2 shows I saw with the Pretender's opening were phenomenal. In both, as a tribute before covering a couple of Neil song's, Chrissie got down and kissed the stage that Neil was to appear on. While I doubt anyone in Wilco will do that, I bet they will probably feel many of the same feelings as far as sharing a stage with Neil, and I doubt a rat's ass that they care if Neil goes on second. I think that this is an absolutely awesome ticket, and I hope they do a few Midwest shows. Just my opinion.