Opening for Neil?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we start a petition/thread for Wilco to be on the Chicago stop?

How can they deny their hometown fans the historic opportunity? I'm stunned.

You really feeled denied of an opportunity? Maybe they have something else going on that date? Personally, I don't really want to see Wilco at the Allstate Arena anyway.

You really feeled denied of an opportunity? Maybe they have something else going on that date? Personally, I don't really want to see Wilco at the Allstate Arena anyway.

I'm probably speaking for myself, but opening for Neil (or Tom or Bob) would be one of the only things to get me out to see wilco right now.

It just occured to me that the Letters to Santa benefit at Second City is usually around that week that Neil is playing Chicago. Maybe this is the reason. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same day.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's scheduled yet, but I think Jeff always plays on Tuesday of the event. So, maybe their keeping things open until this is determined?

I'm probably speaking for myself, but opening for Neil (or Tom or Bob) would be one of the only things to get me out to see wilco right now.

Fair enough. You did go to Lolla though, right?

This from Thrashers Wheat site......

"Probably one of the most interesting aspects of the announcement is that all shows for this tour will be general admission floor with reserved seating in the stands. This is great news for those of us who had to be restrained from standing and moving during "No Hidden Path".

General admission tickets will be prices at $75.00 with reserved stand tickets ranging in price from $45.00 to $250.00."

Link......

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/wheatfield.html

>>You really feeled denied of an opportunity?

Sorry if you can't recognize the musically significant history here for us locals. No amount of small local venue opportunities is quite the same: apples & oranges.

I'd feel the same way if they were opening for Dylan.

As for Lolla--I had work. As it was, what I heard was, that rather than raise to the scheduling challenge re: RATM, Tweedy got kind of pissy on his home turf.

Perhaps the same issue... just wee speculation to the mystery.

It just occured to me that the Letters to Santa benefit at Second City is usually around that week that Neil is playing Chicago. Maybe this is the reason. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same day.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's scheduled yet, but I think Jeff always plays on Tuesday of the event. So, maybe their keeping things open until this is determined?

I was assuming the same thing. How early will the dates for the benefit be announced? It seems like last year it wasn't until November.

Fair enough. You did go to Lolla though, right?

I did indeed go to lolla and for the first time left a wilco show feeling underwhelmed. Wilco's live sets are what got me hooked. Lately I feel they've gotten a bit stale.

I wouldn't have to think twice about seeing jeff, nels or glenn solo but like I said the wilco live show seems to have gotten a bit stale.

I'm satisfied with Jules' Letters to Santa hypothesis. Makes sense. He's always does Letters to Santa on the first or second Tuesday of December and they already have a date listed in Ottowa for the 2nd.

You could title your petition "Make Needy Children Cry by Ruining their Christmas." (I'm not in PR for a reason)

They would make a whole lot more needy kids happier if they do what Neil does: tag on an extra $1 for the (local) charity to the cost of the ticket. CSNY and Springsteen do the same thing.

Not a good enough excuse and date can be anytime.

Like all those Christmas in July ad campaigns. Still, I recognize the tradition.

I'm satisfied with Jules' Letters to Santa hypothesis. Makes sense. He's always does Letters to Santa on the first or second Tuesday of December and they already have a date listed in Ottowa for the 2nd.

You could title your petition "Make Needy Children Cry by Ruining their Christmas." (I'm not in PR for a reason)

They would make a whole lot more needy kids happier if they do what Neil does: tag on an extra $1 for the (local) charity to the cost of the ticket. CSNY and Springsteen do the same thing.

Don't even get me started on what musicians "could" be doing.

ETA: not to mention promoters. and by promoters I mean live nation.

Sorry if you can't recognize the musically significant history here for us locals. No amount of small local venue opportunities is quite the same: apples & oranges.

I'd feel the same way if they were opening for Dylan.

As for Lolla--I had work. As it was, what I heard was, that rather than raise to the scheduling challenge re: RATM, Tweedy got kind of pissy on his home turf.

Perhaps the same issue... just wee speculation to the mystery.

I recognize it just fine, thanks. I just don't really care if they don't play with Neil Young in December. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it. That's all.

I don't get the "pissy on his home turf" bit. I thought they were in fine form actually.

I don't get the "pissy on his home turf" bit. I thought they were in fine form actually.

I don't know about "fine". I mean regardless of the performance I felt like Tweedy was in a weird mood. I know there have been plenty of times where he gets "mad" on stage and usually its all in good fun. There was a minute or two during Spiders were I got the impression that he was pissed (hand clapping segment). I haven't rewatched the set yet though, so maybe I was just high.

'Weird' or 'pissy'...

I know there was a 75% vs 25% break between RATM and Wilco at Lolla. Tweedy was annoyed that the band was scheduled at the same time--wags talked about it in the press tent.

I would be, too. Bad luck. But NIN would have been the same deal.

Nevertheless, RATM haven't toured and may never again (old tunes sure, but a rare opportunity), in years Wilco is a thriving band and moving forward.

It's been a while since I've been back to IL, is Allstate Arena the former Rosemont Horizon?

yep. Actually not a bad place to see a show in my opinion. I was just being a dick above.

'Weird' or 'pissy'...

I know there was a 75% vs 25% break between RATM and Wilco at Lolla. Tweedy was annoyed that the band was scheduled at the same time--wags talked about it in the press tent.

I would be, too. Bad luck. But NIN would have been the same deal.

Nevertheless, RATM haven't toured and may never again (old tunes sure, but a rare opportunity), in years Wilco is a thriving band and moving forward.

Didn't jeff have the same problem when they went on prior to the chili peppers?

I've seen the 12/13 date on a few boards but not on Neils or Wilco's site....whats up? DCU is in Worcester not Boston but i'll take it.

It's on Everest's site (the other band on the three-band lineup) so it should be official. Weird it's not on wilco's site yet.

Is that what they're calling the Centrum nowadays?

It's on Everest's site (the other band on the three-band lineup) so it should be official. Weird it's not on wilco's site yet.

Is that what they're calling the Centrum nowadays?

Yeah DCU center. Its not Boston but i'll go. It makes sense, I saw Neil in boston not too long ago and he's playing the Comcast Center for Farm Aid in Sept. I hope the date is legit.