Here are the two new Wilco tunes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be the only person who has reservations about these. It'll probably clear up soon, but for now I'm slightly unimpressed.

One Wing is amazing. It does sort of sound like Interpol at the beginning, and thats not a bad thing at all.

The other one not so much, but still pretty catchy.

When I saw Wilco at Val Air Ballroom in 2006, they played Walken and On and On. It was pretty clear that the next album was going to sound different from the previous one. Didn't get that sense w/ these 2 tracks. Kind of follow the SBS mold of mellow songs. One Wing has a great intensity at the end. I love what Nels adds in that regard!

Thanks for posting.

I just transcribed the lyrics to One Wing from the version played at the Anchorage show.

(if that is what it is called).

This songs feels VERY Radiohead to me... the solos

We once belonged to a bird

Who cast it's shadow on this world

You were the best thing

And I was the curse

I did my best not to make things worse

for you

But is it true

I always knew this would be our fate

This is what happens when we separate

This happens to all dead weight eventually

We may as well be made of stone

We can't be phoned (?or "foam"?

One way we'll never fight dear

Neither yours nor mine I fear

One wing

we'll never ever fight dear

Neither yours nor mine I feel

We can only wave goodbye

One wing

we'll never ever fight dear

neither yours nor mine I feel

we can only wave goodbye

Bye Bye

Sunny Feeling lyrics - also from the Anchorage show

Not sure of the word 'heighty' and 'I could never find out' - otherwise pretty sure of the rest.

Sunny Feeling

I was on my way home

from high school

I was stuck at the crossing

I dug in for a duel

Well at the last moment

I slammed on the brakes

My life split in two directions

Two separate fates

Got on the last flight

into rotterdam

couldn't hit the runway

so it took off again

"Aw no need to worry,"

the captain cut in,

"the winds are less heighty,

over in Berlin."

You know I won't be there for you,

So this is all I know is true,

Your darkest days are good for you,

The darkest night is nothing new

I could nearly answer

for myself

Is my life a cancer

or anybody else?

I could never find out

I could never say

I now realize

or nearly change my ways.

A sunny feeling is taken away (4 x)

I was on my way home

from high school

I was stuck at the crossing

Where the kids are still cruel

Oh, the kids are still cruel

The sunny feeling is taken away (4 x)

I posted these comments about the 2 new songs in After The Show.....I want to put them here to see if anyone feels the same. I like anyone I guess hates to keep on saying "oh this reminds me of this so ... blah blah...."....... but I guess it's a good thing to hear influences in music. It's just natural.

"First impression :

One Wing - beginning guitar parts reminded me of The Cure(not sure which era). But than I went through my iPod and I realized it actually reminded me more of Interpol's Hands Away on Turn On The Bright Lights. I love the guitar sounds and lyrics and the ending is just amazing. Like nothing Wilco has done before.

Sunny Feeling - like people have been saying dark lyrics with an upbeat jaunty melody. I love it because it's a great tune and sounds fantastic and it helps that it's completely different to One Wing. Actually, after a few listens it sounds like a distant cousin to Walken.

Thanks,

Kristofor

PS Enjoy Folks !"

I must be the only person who has reservations about these. It'll probably clear up soon, but for now I'm slightly unimpressed.

I didn't get through either of the songs. Lots of skipping around.

'One Wing' might be 'You Are My Face' good.

YAMF is like a top 5 wilco song. lets not get out of hand here.

my thoughts on One Wing:

It sounds like it could have fit on Sky Blue Sky, which is a little disappointing if this is a newly written song. the lyrics are kinda meh, and the guitar solo freak out thing at the end just sort of feels tacked on. it doesn't really serve the song.

One Wing - Sounds like in the same vain as Impossible Germany, I feel it still needs some work with the arrangement etc, Nels' solo is cool but I feel it's too much of the same old same old shredding vibrato stuff freak out stuff.

Sunny Feeling - Has potential to be a fun pop number, I don't like the falsetto thing in the verses and I still feel there could be more to it. I'm sure we'll hear these evolve quite a bit over the next year or so and these probably gave a far better impression live as I found with all of the SBS material.

I don't really know about either of these. I mean, Sunny Feeling is great, but guys, you've already written Walken, and while fun, it's not quite a fantastic song. No need to do it again.

One Wing is a bit of an improvement. Kind of a slow burner, I guess. I really like the melody (that bassline is wonderful) and the first little crescendo at the two-minute mark. I feel like I've sat through the "song-ending guitar breakdown" a thousand times before, though. Not every song has to end with Nels unleashing a flurry of notes. Nels all pointing his Fender at the audience, all, "Here, guys - NOTES! NOTES FOR ALL!" Me all shielding my face, like, "PTOO, dude, easy-! Watch the eyes!"

Anyway. I was a bit bored by both songs. Here's hoping they push themselves outside of SBS outtake territory sooner rather than later. I hate how disinterested in this band I've been since the damned Volvo ads (or whatever the fuck they were).