Here are the two new Wilco tunes

I don't really know about either of these. I mean, Sunny Feeling is great, but guys, you've already written Walken, and while fun, it's not quite a fantastic song. No need to do it again.

One Wing is a bit of an improvement. Kind of a slow burner, I guess. I really like the melody (that bassline is wonderful) and the first little crescendo at the two-minute mark. I feel like I've sat through the "song-ending guitar breakdown" a thousand times before, though. Not every song has to end with Nels unleashing a flurry of notes. Nels all pointing his Fender at the audience, all, "Here, guys - NOTES! NOTES FOR ALL!" Me all shielding my face, like, "PTOO, dude, easy-! Watch the eyes!"

:lol

I hate how disinterested in this band I've been since the damned Volvo ads (or whatever the fuck they were).

I feel the same way and haven't listened to SBS in months and months - which is not typical of me.

Anyho...I'm enjoying "One Wing" quite a bit - Sunny Day, meh....pretty generic to these ears.

Thanks for the link!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both of them, not crazy like but I see potential for better arrangements and work in the studio.

I hear Radiohead, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth in One Wing. (And i hate comparing one bands music to another) But this is a good tune. Great guitar work. This one will only get better.

Sunny Feeling: I don't hear Walken in there. Totally different feel. Sounds like Kicking Television in slow motion. I like this one.

I think both of these could lean toward an SBS kind of vibe for the next album but I'm thinking there will be noise, more of a wall of sound on the next record.

I'm an optimist.

I like both of them, not crazy like but I see potential for better arrangements and work in the studio.

I hear Radiohead, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth in One Wing. (And i hate comparing one bands music to another) But this is a good tune. Great guitar work. This one will only get better.

Honestly, the solo at the end of Little Wing is a little Pearl Jam-esque. If you ever hear Inside Job, similar to that. Good tune though. I think it will be arranged better if it makes it to the next album. Definitely hear the Radiohead.

Sunny Feeling is a bit hokey, a grower.

One note on the recording:

The girl talking in the background of the recording during One Wing is so fucking annoying. Never ceases to amaze me that people just don't shut the f up at shows. You paid to see the band, how can you talk the whole time?

It sounds like it could have fit on Sky Blue Sky, which is a little disappointing if this is a newly written song.

do we know that they're newly written?. they could be leftovers from years ago that jeff just rediscovered

I think both of these could lean toward an SBS kind of vibe for the next album but I'm thinking there will be noise, more of a wall of sound on the next record.

I'm an optimist.

you mean pessimist? :P

I'm gonna hold out one week to hear them live first, but I must say all of the talk of them picking up where SBS left off or being SBS outtakes worries me. I don't think I've listened to SBS in more than six months. Everything else is still in the rotation.

Nels all pointing his Fender at the audience, all, "Here, guys - NOTES! NOTES FOR ALL!" Me all shielding my face, like, "PTOO, dude, easy-! Watch the eyes!"

:rotfl

You just made me laugh out loud.

But I really like the two new songs. Yeah, they may sound like a continuation of SBS but they're still a lot different. With these songs, You can tell that SBS was their last record.. Just like how you could tell AGIB was their last record before SBS.

"First impression :

One Wing - beginning guitar parts reminded me of The Cure(not sure which era). But than I went through my iPod and I realized it actually reminded me more of Interpol's Hands Away on Turn On The Bright Lights.

good call!

This is the first time I've ever been disappointed in Wilco. I liked Sky Blue Sky but I'm ready for something new, not a rehash. Let's hope other new songs don't sound like this. Sunny Feeling sounds like the Walken style of SBS and One Wing reminds me too much of Impossible Germany.

Honestly, I'm missing the synths.

If Wilco is going to repeat themselves, I'd rather they repeat Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost Is Born.

Hello Everyone,

I tend to agree with people's opinions. I hope that Wilco doesn't repeat the same sound as Sky Blue Sky. I believe they won't. However, the same feel of 6 amazing musicians playing in the studio will still be present.

I do see/hear the similarities to the previous record, but I think Wilco is maybe deliberately playing these 2 songs 1st. Line up the Conspiracy Theorists :stunned

I guess i think it's some sort of weird easy transition phase. What i hope is that Wilco is saving the more ambitious/different songs for later down the road.

In some ways these songs are different. Anyways, I am going around in circles here and my grammar is failing on me in the a.m.

I am trying to piece together how the SBS songs premiered over time. I guess you could say that how those songs came about no one really knew what direction the record would go. They were all different from each other. And we got to hear the majority of them before the record came out.

Have faith.

Thanks,

Kristofor

PS Anyone think that Let's Fight will "fight" it's way onto the next record ? I dislike previous album leftovers as much as the next guy. Personally, I kind of think Let's Fight is a really damn good song(got to hear it at the Pines in 06). For fun if Let's Fight, One Wing and Sunny Feeling are our first indication of the direction what do you all think ? So for me these are all very strong and different sounding songs. But yes I can see where it comes off as SBS Pt. 2 : Electric Boogaloo. :ohwell

PS Anyone think that Let's Fight will "fight" it's way onto the next record ? I dislike previous album leftovers as much as the next guy. Personally, I kind of think Let's Fight is a really damn good song(got to hear it at the Pines in 06). For fun if Let's Fight, One Wing and Sunny Feeling are our first indication of the direction what do you all think ? So for me these are all very strong and different sounding songs. But yes I can see where it comes off as SBS Pt. 2 : Electric Boogaloo. :ohwell

Let's Fight is probably going to stay in the can, it got a pretty tepid reaction here actually back in 06, a lot of people hated the synth strings. Fear not though my good friend for great things are scientifically proven to happen to anyone who works in an electric boogaloo reference.

TheMaker's description of the slow-burning song with guitar freak out at the end is spot on. This template might soon become Wilco's "Wes Anderson token slow motion shot" if it hasn't already. In other words there are times when it's really works, but because they've done it so many times already it might start to wear a little thin. That said damn it, I like the end the of Darjeeling Limited, and damn it I like the end of One Wing too.... electric boogaloo.

--Mike

>Let's Fight is probably going to stay in the can, it got a pretty tepid reaction here actually back in 06, a lot of people hated the synth strings. Fear not though my good friend for great things are scientifically proven to happen to anyone who works in an electric boogaloo reference.

that's crazy. "Let's Fight" is amazing. recently, when i hear references to it on the board though, they are all positive...

-justin