John Stirratt

Alright, so in watching the webcast from lola of Wilco, I was SO amazed to see them play "It's Just That Simple"

I forgot how great of a voice John has.

So here's the question...

Does he remind anyone else of Rick Danko from the Band? Great voice, great bass playing, and mysteriousness about him.

Some of those shots while he was singing reminded me so much of the Last Waltz.

I'm really glad they did that. John is a great band member and yet another reason to love Wilco.

Alright, so in watching the webcast from lola of Wilco, I was SO amazed to see them play "It's Just That Simple"

Does he remind anyone else of Rick Danko from the Band? Great voice, great bass playing, and mysteriousness about him.

I'm really glad they did that. John is a great band member and yet another reason to love Wilco.

fer sure. i've always thought that -- even similar mannerisms and facial expressions.

i was blown away when the autumn defense did a show during the day before the main wilco one this year. he sounds so great on stage. i wouldnt say rick danko, but he has a damn unique voice which is excellent. i actually prefer his voice over danko's.

its a pity they dropped Its just that simple since the AM tour. looks like they came to their senses about his vocals late last year! :lol

Yeah, I totally agree. I think I brought that up in a thread either after the 2nd residency show which I saw or in a Last Waltz thread.

John has a very good voice.

However I prefer to hear him sing backup with Wilco. He has a great voice and all , but I wanna hear Tweedy!

I think his harmonies over the years have brought out the best in Tweedy and added a facet to the sound in which Wilco wouldn't be Wilco without it. There's leaning on traditional harmonies, but he also makes some decisions that take the vocals in sometimes unexpected directions. In that regard he is very much like Rick Danko.

I think his harmonies over the years have brought out the best in Tweedy and added a facet to the sound in which Wilco wouldn't be Wilco without it.

:yes

yeah, John's harmonies just fit perfectly with Jeff's voice. it's a great combo!

:yes

yeah, John's harmonies just fit perfectly with Jeff's voice. it's a great combo!

Absolutely.

No disrespect to John or anything but honestly I hope they don't play "It's just that Simple" at the Cary NC show!

Personally one of the biggest reasons (if not the biggest) I love Wilco is Tweedy's lead vocal. I know I'm not alone!

Guest Jules
Absolutely.

No disrespect to John or anything but honestly I hope they don't play "It's just that Simple" at the Cary NC show!

Personally one of the biggest reasons (if not the biggest) I love Wilco is Tweedy's lead vocal. I know I'm not alone!

It's one song.

Absolutely.

I'll stop repeatedly requesting it then.

... not.

Great post. I thought about the Danko connection after standing right in front of Stirratt for the second half of the Red Bank, NJ show last year. Great harmonies, bopping baselines, similar mannerisms.

I can totally see the guys hanging out in the loft and someone stumble across this line while checking in here...

Great voice, great bass playing, and mysteriousness about him.

...and then John starts getting a ton of shit.

Jeff- "Hey! Get a load of this!" [Reads from screen.]

Pat- "Ooooo, John! You are soooooo mysterious!"

John- "Aw, shut up already or I'll kick you out of Autumn Defense."

Jeff- "Quit stealing my material."

Nels- "Are you from the future?"

John- "Don't you have some pants to shorten?"

Nels- "Wow! I... I... I do. You must be from the future if you knew that."

Guest Jules
Just not a big fan of that tune...has a lot to do with Jeff not singing it.

Like I said, just my personal preference.

No, I totally get it. It just struck me as a stretch to actually hope they don't play it. That's all.

The guy sings one fucking song, sometimes, and only as of recently. Let him enjoy the spotlight. I hope they play it tomorrow.

Take it easy there man.

Music is subjective you know, it's OK if not everybody likes it.

And I'm not going to dig it just so he can enjoy the spotlight!

Take it easy there man.

Music is subjective you know, it's OK if not everybody likes it.

And I'm not going to dig it just so he can enjoy the spotlight!

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like that. I have a colorful vocabulary. But it is only one song, that they never use to play. I'm sure a lot of people still haven't seen it live. Including me.

How about we combine our powers to wish it into reality for Jacksonville and you'll have a better chance of not hearing in Cary.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like that. I have a colorful vocabulary. But it is only one song, that they never use to play. I'm sure a lot of people still haven't seen it live. Including me.

How about we combine our powers to wish it into reality for Jacksonville and you'll have a better chance of not hearing in Cary.

LOL, it's cool!

You got it man.

I will vote my @ss off for it to be played at the Jacksonville show!

Back to the original topic...John does do a KILLER job with the background vocals!

Hey as long as I hear Ashes, Pot Kettle Black or Hell is Chrome, life will be great.

heh, I voted for Ashes and Hell is Chrome for the Boise and Spokane shows. I still haven't seen those ones live. Fingers Crossed!