John Stirratt

I love John's stuff with the Autumn Defense, but I always have to skip "It's Just That Simple" when listening to A.M. It's extremely weak, lyrically and vocally. Its only purpose on the album, in my mind, is to make the songs before and after it ("That's Not The Issue" and "Should've Been In Love") sound even better than they are.

Maybe they should stick in songs like "Why I'm Like This", which sounds like it was a prototype for "Leave Me (Like You Found Me)"...

Guest Jules
Its only purpose on the album, in my mind, is to make the songs before and after it ("That's Not The Issue" and "Should've Been In Love") sound even better than they are.

This is an interesting theory.

I like the song, and I like it better live than I do on the album, I think John's vocals are much better now than they were then.

I also like what it seems to represent when it's played live, which is something that Tweedy's talked about in interviews about playing with this group of people. They are not a backing band for him, they're a group of people that enjoy making music together, and it's not all about him. It may not be Wilco's best song, but it is a Wilco song, and John's been a part of Wilco as long as anyone else, he deserves to get his shot in the spotlight every once in a while.

But aside from that one song, John has long been my favorite member of Wilco, and I say that as an unashamed fan-girl. I swoon over his backing vocals, I love his playing, he's so much fun to watch on stage, and he gives great interviews. And the couple of times I've spoken to him, he's been totally low-key, and seems to be truly unaware that he is a Rock Star. What's not to like? :wub

This is an interesting theory.

That's a nice way of putting it.

It's Just That Simple is one of my favorites from A.M., and the live versions of it this year have been lovely. I'm hoping they play it in Wilmington or at Tanglewood. I was so surprised when they played it at Lollapalooza, but I was also really thrilled for John to get that moment in the spotlight. He certainly deserved it. And, to echo what gogo said, he's also the nicest, most down-to-earth guy.

Okay, I just listened to it, from Lollapalooza 2008. It actually sounds good live. But, to my ears, it's not half as good as most anything by the Autumn Defense. When I hear, "there's a whole lot of money," I instinctively cringe. Sorry.

And, to echo what gogo said, he's also the nicest, most down-to-earth guy.

that i agree on. he's definately the nicest guy in the band that'll spend a bit of time with the fans and talk about everyday stuff apart from music

I feel like John's voice is essential to Wilco. His voice blends exceptionally well to Jeff's unique voice. Favorite vocals of John? I'm going with You Are My Face...Pat has a damn nice set of pipes on him, too. I bet Nels is fooling us all and is really a mute. On a separate note, I'm concluding that Ryan Adams is one of the all-time greatest singers.