• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Because he/she is a jackass.

Steely Dan is amazing.. Not a band that I listen to regularly, but a band that I have a lot of respect for and are some of the greatest musicians in the world. And they are Berklee alumni, like myself. :)

I thought that Sky Blue Sky was what Wilco became after they had assimilated Steely Dan, Borg-like.

A friend of mine kept shouting for "Reeling in the Years" at Wilco's Duluth show last summer.

You need to get smarter, wittier friends.

There should be no guilt whatsoever in loving the Dan.

I first got hooked by an old, old reel-to-reel mixtape that my father had cobbled together off of radio broadcasts in the late 70's. It had "Peg" on it...that was my entry point. Still one of my favorite songs ever, even moreso because I understand what the lyrics mean now. :)

I've been on a kick here lately, trying to collect all of the available torrents from the 1974 live shows. It's a shame that there's so little bootleg live material out there from the band. Despite Becker and Fagen's loathing of touring in the 70's, they put on a hell of a concert. "This All Too Mobile Home" FTW!

--------------------------------------------

Hi, go to http://qualityboots.blogspot.com/2008/08/s...in-1974_09.html

And enjoy an early Steely Dan bootleg

Why?

So that they would play it?

Because he/she is a jackass.

Steely Dan is amazing..

He's a jackass for shouting a request to play a song by a band you consider amazing? m'kay...

You need to get smarter, wittier friends.

Wow. Three in a row. I suppose "third one in line" is your example of wit? Thanks for adding to my experience.

Show business kids making movies of themselves.

You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else.

You gotta love a band that is so arrogant they name check themselves in their songs ("Show Biz Kids" wearing the Steely Dan t-shirts)

I got into Steely Dan my senior year in high school and have continued the wonderful relationship for 17 years. They're all good, but I'd rank the albums:

1. Can't Buy a Thrill

2. Countdown to Ecstasy

3. Aja

4. The Royal Scam

5. Katy Lied

6. Pretzel Logic

7. Gaucho

8. Two Against Nature

9. Everything Must Go

I also like two of Fagen's solo releases - The Nightfly and Kamakiriad. I haven't heard Morph the Cat.

They're all good, but I'd rank the albums:

1. Can't Buy a Thrill

2. Countdown to Ecstasy

3. Aja

4. The Royal Scam

5. Katy Lied

6. Pretzel Logic

7. Gaucho

8. Two Against Nature

9. Everything Must Go

I also like two of Fagen's solo releases - The Nightfly and Kamakiriad. I haven't heard Morph the Cat.

I haven't really gotten into Morph the Cat, but I've only listened to it a few times. I very much like his first two solo releases.

I would probably rank the SD albums like this:

1. Can't Buy a Thrill

2. Katy Lied

3. Countdown to Ecstasy

4. Aja

5. Pretzel Logic

6. The Royal Scam

7. Gaucho

8. Two Against Nature

9. Everything Must Go

So that they would play it?

He's a jackass for shouting a request to play a song by a band you consider amazing? m'kay...

Yeah, shouting out a WILCO song would have been a little more appropriate. Even if it would be a great cover of a great song, its just a little insulting to shout out cover songs at a concert (unless its one they already play regularly)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Tickets for Steely Dan are going on sale tomorrow for Orlando. I know they've played some small gigs up in New York and near Woodstock, I'm wondering whether they remain a vibrant live show, or whether it's simply a nostalgia trip. Can anyone offer and input -- have you seen them lately?

Tickets for Steely Dan are going on sale tomorrow for Orlando. I know they've played some small gigs up in New York and near Woodstock, I'm wondering whether they remain a vibrant live show, or whether it's simply a nostalgia trip. Can anyone offer and input -- have you seen them lately?

Saw them last year and had a great time. If you like Steely Dan you should like it. A crack band, classic song after classic song, I would do it again.

Saw them last year and had a great time. If you like Steely Dan you should like it. A crack band, classic song after classic song, I would do it again.

I should have said I would go back, Jack, do it again! Missed opportunity.