Wilco 08/12/2008

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful summer evening at Tanglewood, and the band responded with a very energetic performance. If you're a big fan of the album Summerteeth, it was definitely your night. The band members (and the Total Pros) all wore their nudie suits from Lollapalooza. Maybe the only big surprise was that Andrew Bird didn't come out and join Wilco on any numbers. One other noteworthy occurrence was Glenn standing with his back to the audience and banging on two big gongs at the start of "I'm The Man Who Loves You" instead of doing his usual arms-raised tribute to Todd Trainer.

I was in the covered "shed" part of the venue, so perhaps people on the vast lawn had a different experience, but I can say that underneath the roof, there seemed to be a lot of energy. People stood from start to finish, which kind of surprised me, and I could see a good bit of pogoing and such up front. The band seemed to respond to that.

The complete setlist was as follows:

Either Way

Hummingbird

Remember The Mountain Bed

Muzzle of Bees

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

IATTBYH

A Shot in the Arm

What Light (w/Total Pros horns)

California Stars (w/TPs)

Pieholden Suite (w/TPs)

Handshake Drugs

Pot Kettle Black

Summer Teeth

Jesus, etc.

Poor Places>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

---------------------------

Can't Stand It (w/TPs)

Hate It Here (w/TPs)

Walken (w/TPs)

I'm The Man Who Loves You (w/TPs)

---------------------------

The Late Greats (w/TPs)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Monday (w/TPs)>

Outtasite (Outta Mind) (w/TPs)

I'm A Wheel

A quick check-in before I go to sleep:

Beautiful venue, beautiful weather, and most importantly, beautiful music. Also, let me be the first to ask if this was the biggest crowd Wilco has played to at a non-festival headlining show? The amount of people on that lawn was absurd. Anyway, Andrew Bird starting things off amazingly with an hour of great music. His setlist was something close to this:

Instrumental Improv (Solo)

Why? (Solo)

Nervous Tic Motion

Opposite Day

Lull

Plasticities

Imitosis

New Song

Tables and Chairs

Some of These Days I'll Be Gone (Charlie Patton cover)

He was well received and despite people filing in during his set and being talkative, he got enthusiastic applause and a nice standing ovation at the end of his set.

After walking around the grounds for a while and bumping into countless people I hadn't seen for years, I settled back into my seat and witnessed, without a doubt, the finest Wilco show I've seen in the 6 shows I've been to. This was also, debatable, the best concert I've been to period. I could just be really excited. Here's a setlist. The main set is pretty out of order between Impossible Germany and Poor Places, but oh well.

Either Way

Hummingbird

Remember the Mountain Bed

Muzzle of Bees

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

What Light (Total Pros)

Pieholden Suite (Total Pros)

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

A Shot in the Arm

Handshake Drugs

California Stars

Pot Kettle Black

Summerteeth

Jesus, etc.

Poor Places >

Spiders

Can't Stand It (Total Pros)

Hate it Here (Total Pros)

Walken (Total Pros)

I'm the Man Who Loves You (Total Pros)

The Late Greats (Total Pros??)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Monday (Total Pros) >

Outtasite (Outta Mind) (Total Pros)

I'm a Wheel

This was one of the most amazing shows I've seen by anyone including Wilco at the Schubert back in Feb.......Our seats were great, section 1, right in the front of the stage about 9 rows back........The vocals were a little muffled being so close though.......The main speakers were off to either side and very high.......Took a walk during Bird's set and the vocals were so much more clearer a section back.......But whose complaining.......One of our friendly recorders was next to me and his recording will be up soon......The shed holds five thousand and there had to be at least three thousand on the lawn.......What a crowd.....The nudie suits were great......I think a third encore would be appropriate next time :worship ........If anyone has pictures please post them......Beautiful venue and a nice cool evening.......The band seemed to be really into it as well.......A lot of smiles going around onstage........Jeff mentioned graffiti in the men's room.....It said "Music iz gay"......He cracked a couple of jokes about it but didn't do much talking the rest of the night......Just a few comments here and there......I didn't really care for Spiders before tonight.....What a rocking number......I wanted to hear Hummingbird and Muzzle of Bees and got both of them which was a treat......

Hi all, I'm new here, and pretty new to Wilco in general.

I just got back from the show tonight, it was my first Wilco show, and I'm am Blown Away!

Andrew Bird's set was nice, his looping was very cool, but started to get old for me about 45 minutes into it.

Then, when Wilco came out, my friend and I jumped over the barrier of the lawn, and quickly made our way up, passed a few guards and into row M in the front section on the right. It was an amazing night, you could feel the energy, and I was getting goose pumps non-stop, which never happens to me at concerts anymore!

Jeff seemed to be in a great mood, commenting on the one piece of graffiti in the bathroom, that said "music is gay" :lol

The suits were very cool, and everybody seemed to be on fire!

The second encore was deffinetly the part that stood out the most. We moved up to row F right in front of Pat. He went completely hardcore rock star for the whole second encore, doing what seemed like ever pete townshend move in the book.

Amazing evening. I am now hooked.

Thank you Wilco

Great show. Not as good as the pavillion last year though, I think.

I was on the lawn, on nels side. And the people who worked their were assholes. They wouldn't let us stand on the lawn.

So we were forced to sit until kidsmoke, where we just rushed and made it to about the third row.

Great show. I was about 20 rows back, and although my girlfriend had a tough time seeing, it was by far the best Wilco setlist I've been to.

I also got to meet Jeff afterwards! My official review and photos will be up after I sleep

Summer Teeth

:lol

Somebody got a call.

Terrific show. Stood with Sweet Caroline right up front while she got her Wilco cherry popped. It was a beautiful thing.

The band was tight. Over the years it's been nice to see Jeff develop so much cowboy ease on stage. The Nudies are sparkly delicious.

Andrew Bird sounded great. One way or another I have seen him more this last year than any other performer.

Stopped in Petersburg on the way home to see if we could catch the Perseids from atop the mountain, but just a bit too cloudy. In any case, it turned out to be a beautiful night.

Also, wtf am I doing awake so early?

seems like local reviews jumped online quickly:

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/aug/13/WILCO_0813/

What an amazing night. Though towards the back of the pavilion a ton of people left right after the main set, and yet somehow the audience got extemely louder for the encores. Must have been those rushes from the lawn, the diehards coming in were a welcome addition to the left side of the stage at least.

Can I count it that not only my wife, but my unborn's Wilco cherry was popped last night?

Ha! Yes, of course.

Were you all at the buses after?

nope, we rolled in and out pretty quick (she's about 6 weeks along and just now hitting the nausea of first trimester for our #2, so we got out of there pretty much right after the show)

Last night was my 1st Wilco show but I've been a fan for a few years. Great show last night. Cool venue too. We were right under the American flag on Nels side. My only gripes were:The chaos at the merch table. I wanted a poster but didn't want to miss the start of the show so I had to get out of the scrum. The security guy near us was kicking all the guys out who tried to sneak up front but allowed 2 of the most obnoxious and possibly drunk young ladies to camp out there. The funniest thing was a girl behind us who kept yelling "I love you Neil!" repeatedly until someone yelled out "His name is NELS!"

Sadly my own recording didn't come out as well as it should have... my fault.

But all in all it was a great time...

Jeff

Instrumental Improv (Solo)

Why? (Solo)

Nervous Tic Motion

Opposite Day

??

Plasticities

Imitosis

New Song

Tables and Chairs

??

Hey Michael B: The first ?? was "Lull" and the final song of the set was "Some of These Days I'll Be Gone" by Charlie Patton.

My wife and I had a great time on the lawn, but it wasn't as intimate as the Pines. We felt kinda left out since we couldn't see the band at all. Still, it was great to hear some songs I've heard them perform after 7 or so shows, like "Pieholden" and "Mountain Bed."

sublime :wub How do they keep getting better and better?? The sound outside was outstanding, and the jumbovideothingie was clear as a bell. After a day of rain and menacing clouds, the sky magicallly cleared as we headed west (uh, make that east) to the venue, and it turned out to be a beautiful moonlit night. Wilco magic.

There was definitely dancing on the lawn where I stood! I think Sweet Caroline floated to work this morning.

Yes, what a great night. We were there second row center. I was not planning to be at the show, but as it turned out I was going to be on vacation in Cape Cod we drove over to Tanglewood yesterday afternoon. The whole thing was magic, the setting, the weather, and of course the music. My girl friend and I had tee shirts made just for the show. Mine said WIL and hers CO in bold red colors. We certainly got the nod from most band members.

The sound was a bit difficult up front, Nels was down could not hear the horns hardly at all and the encores Jeff's guitar was way too loud, but we could have cared less. The whole show rocked and we rocked right along with it.

Love to see some pictures and look forward to hearing the show later.

Highs:

Either Way

IATTBYH

A Shot in the Arm

California Stars (w/TPs)

Poor Places>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Walken (w/TPs)

I'm The Man Who Loves You (w/TPs)

Henry

I don't know what my adrenals are, but I think they're spent.

This show was that good. While I love the Pines venue and those shows from the past two years, and would love Wilco to come back to Look Park, this was something different. A different band than last year. The noise rock of yesteryear has given way to art rock soundscapes, with Nels Cline at the helm. ....to say nothing of the tender acoustic Tweedy ballads. Lots of highlights: Remember the Mountain Bed and California Stars from Mermaid Ave., Handshake Drugs becomes a monster of a song, PoorPlaces>Kidsmoke to end the set in a HUGE way. Probably the best double encore I've heard them do: the horns killed. Hate it Here - Walken - I'm the Man Who Loves You (knew we'd get that one). How could it possibly get bigger or better?!? When they finally broke into the Being There songs (the only two of the night, and in order no less) Monday > Outtasite, the place went nuts.

I echo most everyone else here. Awesome show!!! Awesome getting to meet Jeff afterward!!! Probably one of the best Wilco shows I've ever been to. Props to Ellen, a.k.a Wilco Worshipper, to giving me a great welcome to Boston!

Thanks Jonathan!!!

It was without a doubt the best set list I've ever heard in person and the double encore was unbelievable!!! I don't recall ever hearing "I'm A Wheel" before and it was an INCREDIBLE way to end it!!!

The weather was great and the crowd was energetic!!!

Meeting Jeff was the highlight of my night, my week, my year and yea, probably my life!!! :D