Top 25 Live Rock Albums of All-Time

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add Zappa's You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2, the Helsinki concert. Excellent show with a great lineup.

Also, any live Coltrane. I know this is a thread on rock albums, but Coltrane rocks. Seriously.

That band was his best, IMHO. Isn't that the show that he culled for the Inca Roads solo on One Size Fits All? Great Googly Moogly he really ripped that one.

I keep holding my breath for the Roxy DVD.

Since I really really prefer the 67-71 version of The Mothers, I would have to go with one of the live cds featuring the old stuff.

A giant listing of live albums.

Disregarding the shit I said yesterday - some more I like:

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert

Absolutely Live

Under a Blood Red Sky

Uriah Heep Live

Unleashed in the East

Live at the Boston Tea Party, Vols. 1-3

Wings over America

Bless Its Pointed Little Head

Live at Last

You can't forget Zappa In New York, though... Classic! Also, the newer release of stuff he did with the Petite Wazoo live "Imaginary Diseases" is fantastic!!

That is a great one. This one is worth a mention: Ian Hunter-Welcome to the Club.

Also Jethro Tull: Bursting Out

A giant listing of live albums.

My God. ABBA put out a live album?

That is a great one. This one is worth a mention: Ian Hunter-Welcome to the Club.

Also Jethro Tull: Bursting Out

Love the Ian Hunter Live one as well as the remixed, re-released extended Mott The Hoople Live one.

I used to like Jethro Tull quite a bit in the 1970's, but I never cared for Bursting Out, it just never grabbed me.

I can't believe I forgot both Ian Hunter and J. Geils. Ian Live and Full House have always got spins here. Nice calls dudes. :thumbup

That band was his best, IMHO. Isn't that the show that he culled for the Inca Roads solo on One Size Fits All? Great Googly Moogly he really ripped that one.

Yep, that was the one. The YCDTOSA version has the complete solo, though the sound quality is different.

I keep holding my breath for the Roxy DVD.

:lol I'll come look for the blue guy!

Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus is one of the best live albums ever.
Absolutely....

BB Kings "Live at Cook County Jail" is pretty good too.
It sure is, but it is a blues album, not a rock album.

LouieB

I know folks here will hate on it, because it's the indie way, but Yessongs (1973) was a monster electric jam out

One of my favorites. :thumbup

Did I miss the Grateful Dead's "Europe 72" on that list or am I blind? Same goes for Frampton Comes Alive.

Also, I've never really dug Kicking Television enough that I would think it'd be on a list like this.

And my #1 will probably always be "And The Name Of This Band Is..." Especially the recently expanded Rhino edition. It's really a perfect live release.

Sitting in front of some of My cd's here are a few more good ones:

Many don't care fr it, but I like it because of it's raggedness: Aerosmith Live Bootleg.

Genesis Seconds Out - No Peter but very majestic sounding. Good Prog Rock.

Concert For Bangladesh

Joe Jackson - Big World

Joe Jackson - Live 80/86

Black Crowes/Jimmy Page Live at the Greek

Skynyrd - One More from the Road

Bob Marley Live

Metallica S&M - Love the symphony with their music

Sitting in front of some of My cd's here are a few more good ones:

Many don't care fr it, but I like it because of it's raggedness: Aerosmith Live Bootleg.

I forgot that one - the only Aerosmith I have on cd. I think it is a great album.

I dig those - but they are not exactly live.

Yeah. Europe is a great record, but I left it off my list for that reason. Same with Skullfuck - Merl overdubbed organ parts in the studio (esp. Wharf Rat).

I read somewhere - maybe in the Kiss book when they were talking about all the work done on Alive 1 and II, that Frampton Comes Alive was actually mostly re-done in the studio. I never knew that. I don't own that one, but, I think Lines On My Face is a great song.

I read somewhere - maybe in the Kiss book when they were talking about all the work done on Alive 1 and II, that Frampton Comes Alive was actually mostly re-done in the studio. I never knew that. I don't own that one, but, I think Lines On My Face is a great song.

In the liner notes for the latest version of waiting for columbus they talk about how much they redid too. I think for the 70's this was not too uncommon. Still love WFC though.

In the liner notes for the latest version of waiting for columbus they talk about how much they redid too. I think for the 70's this was not too uncommon. Still love WFC though.

Never really cared for Little Feat - I think I have some songs from that album on a tape somewhere.