Top 25 Live Rock Albums of All-Time

Last Waltz had bass, piano and some vocals overdubbed. But there was a bootleg floating around called the Complete Last Waltz, which was just a pure unmixed soundboard recording. Only 3,000 copies were made.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Waltz had bass, piano and some vocals overdubbed. But there was a bootleg floating around called the Complete Last Waltz, which was just a pure unmixed soundboard recording. Only 3,000 copies were made.

According to Levon Helm, everything was redone, except his drums.

My favorite live stuff is simply the one of my fave artsist and bands. I don't care much when a performance is terrific if the artist or band doesn't do much to me. Sometime I can get thrills just seeing my fave artist coming on stage. There's a matter of fascination going on. A good show is a good show, for sure, it can take you if you're well in, but nothing's better than being surprised, amazed, charmed, etc... Sometime you can just focuse on some details and be taken by them. I know I'm unconsciously captivated by images, too. There's instantly something between the sound and the image that seems to fit perfectly - or not.

What was overdubbed on Europe '72? That's always been my #1 choice for live Dead: definitive versions of Jack Straw, Chinacat>Rider, Brown Eyed Women ... Love it.

The whole album - they played over the top of the live tracks - or something like that.

I love this thread. Has anyone mentioned AC/DC's "If You Want Blood.." yet? You could hear that one every morning in the parking lot at HS back in the late '70s, while everyone was busy "getting ready for school". :stunned

I love this thread. Has anyone mentioned AC/DC's "If You Want Blood.." yet? You could hear that one every morning in the parking lot at HS back in the late '70s, while everyone was busy "getting ready for school". :stunned

Which makes me think of the film Let There Be Rock - which I saw projected on a wall on the side of a building in the Philippines, in 1985.

Porcupine Tree's Coma Divine is a fantastic live album that really shows a great band really starting to form up. Before Coma Divine, most of the music was made by Steven Wilson alone, but the Signify album was the first full band production. Coma Divine is the beginning of the band really starting to work together and put on a solid show.

• 6 months later...

I got my hands on this yesterday:

The Who

"Live At Leeds Complete"

02/14/70

Source: SBD

A nice website, found at: http://www.lukpac.org/lal.htm describes the commercial release in relationship to this one. It doesn't however, tell about the new release which came out last fall. (the entire show is present on the new release,

but there are edits and the setlist is re-arranged almost totally, so this still warents keeping).

The website does mention about how the second set of reels ran slower then the rest of the show,

about 3% or so, enclosed in the BP that I got this from was a note that explained who had fixed

this problem on this set of discs, and when, but I've lost that exact information, but it is fixed.

Setlist:

Disc 1

1. Heaven And Hell

2. I Can't Explain

3. Fortune Teller

4. Tattoo

5. Young Man Blues

6. Substitute

7. Happy Jack

8. I'm A Boy/Intro to A Quick One

9. A Quick One While He's Away

10. Overture

11. It's a Boy

12. 1921

13. Amazing Journey

14. Sparks

15. Eyesight to The Blind

16. Christmas

17. The Acid Queen

18. Pinball Wizard

Disc 2

1. Do You Think It's Alright?

2. Fiddle About

3. Tommy Can You Hear Me?

4. There's A Doctor

5. Go To The Mirror!

6. Smash The Mirror

7. Miracle Cure

8. Sally Simpson

9. I'm Free

10. Tommy's Holiday Camp

11. We're Not Going To Take It

12. Summertime Blues

13. Shakin' All Over/Spoonful

14. My Generation

15. Magic Bus

Bonus Track:

16. Time Is Passing

Got to go for 'Okonokos' by My Morning Jacket. The DVD of the show is pretty amazing too. Other than that 'Second's Out' by Genesis. 'Seconds Out' is due to be re-released shortly in a Live Boxset along with 'Genesis Live', 'Three Sides Live' and 'The Longs/Shorts', similar to the recent Genesis boxsets. There will be an SACD and an extra disk of goodies.

G.

I have come back with new insight, and have determined that the Band's Rock of Ages should be a top 5 live rock album ever. Yep.

It's my personal fav. :cheers