• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other comment that had me baffled was the Cooley/Charlie Daniels link. Say what?

their songwriting is often very similiar in terms of styles & topics imo, especially Cooley's solo songs (if you've ever seen him or heard recordings)

fair enough... i've always though Cooley had a ton of Charlie Daniels influence in his songwriting, going back to when i first got into DBT in '00

*shrug*

i like Cooley, but he's definitely my 3rd favorite DBT songwriter. i still like the band a lot, but they lost a lot of appeal for me without Isbell

I liked Isbell, too. But he only wrote 8 Truckers songs. Half of which were incredible, and half were so-so. I don't see how his loss means that much to the quality of a band or would make much difference to a fan.

And Cooley has only written one of the best songs in the history of rock music in Zip City (to name one of many of his highlights).

Zip City = one of the best songs in the history of rock music? :ermm

sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree there, as that's not even remotely close to a favorite DBT song (maybe top 15 though, it's definitely in my top 3 Cooley songs, no doubt)

as for Isbell only writing 8 Truckers songs, all by himself... yes, but he also had input on quite a handful of other DBT songs over the course of the 3 albums he appeared on. and the difference in their live shows from before he joined compared to when he was in the band, was night and day for me. I thought they were a pretty decent live act before, but his addition pushed them into a much higher realm for me.

not to mention that he also was my favorite singer in the DBT BAR NONE, his voice just hits me a lot harder than Patterson or Mike's (Patterson's is kinda whiney/stretched for me at times).

as for only half of his DBT songs being good, again, agree to disagree, as Outfit, Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel, John Henry are all 4 in my DBT top 10 songs, and Never Gonna Change and Easy On Yourself aren't far behind. i realize not everyone liked Daylight either, but i loved that soaring chorus.

nevermind the fact that i find Jason's solo record better than the last 2 DBT records either, and have enjoyed the 400 Unit shows i've seen the past 18 months more than the last 2 DBT shows sans Jason that i've seen.

guess we just differ greatly in what about DBT appeals to us, fair enough :)

fair enough... i've always though Cooley had a ton of Charlie Daniels influence in his songwriting, going back to when i first got into DBT in '00

*shrug*

i like Cooley, but he's definitely my 3rd favorite DBT songwriter. i still like the band a lot, but they lost a lot of appeal for me without Isbell

I think Cooley is an excellent songwriter - One of These Days, Zip City, Women Without Whiskey, Marry Me, When the Pin Hits the Shell, Sounds Better in a Song, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Carl Perkins Cadillac, Cottonseed, Gravity's Gone, 3 Dimes Down, Self-Destructive Zones, A Ghost to Most. Then again, I am a big fan of certain types of country music. As much as I enjoy Cooley, Patterson is the glue that holds that band together. Jason brought some polish to the band's rough edges. I think it is accurate to say the band was in its greatest form with Jason on board. I think Neff is a great musician, but his strength is on the pedal steel.

I liked Isbell, too. But he only wrote 8 Truckers songs. Half of which were incredible, and half were so-so. I don't see how his loss means that much to the quality of a band or would make much difference to a fan.

As a shredder, a slide guitarist, and a harmonizing vocalist, Jason was a big part of DBT.

As a shredder, a slide guitarist, and a harmonizing vocalist, Jason was a big part of DBT.

I don't disagree there. I thought we were just talking about songwriting.

Plus, Isbell's solo album was a huge disappointment. I had such high expectations, though, so maybe it was a little unfair.

I don't disagree there. I thought we were just talking about songwriting.

Plus, Isbell's solo album was a huge disappointment. I had such high expectations, though, so maybe it was a little unfair.

other than maybe 2 songs, i absolutely adore that record... there's some fine southern soul on a handful of those tracks. i think it showed greath depth and diversity style-wise.

plus the 400 Unit just all out f'n ROCK out live... harder than the Truckers (dare i say punkish at times?)

other than maybe 2 songs, i absolutely adore that record... there's some fine southern soul on a handful of those tracks. i think it showed greath depth and diversity style-wise.

plus the 400 Unit just all out f'n ROCK out live... harder than the Truckers (dare i say punkish at times?)

Agreed on Jason's solo album. I also agree that Jason & 400 Unit have really gotten strong live... rocking harder than the Trucker's is a bit of a stretch though. Very, very influenced by the Truckers, yes. Last time I saw the Truckers in Chicago, they really tore the place down.

Zip City = one of the best songs in the history of rock music? :ermm

sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree there, as that's not even remotely close to a favorite DBT song (maybe top 15 though, it's definitely in my top 3 Cooley songs, no doubt)

That might be the Trucker's best song.

Put all of my DBT and THS on shuffle today for my drive home from Orlando, and man I cannot wait for this show. Both of these bands are among my 5 favorites right now. I've really gotten into DBT over the last 2 weeks.

Whre are you going to see this show...nothing scheduled for Florida?

Whre are you going to see this show...nothing scheduled for Florida?

Sun Nov 02 Tallahassee FL THE MOON @ FSU The Hold Steady (HS Closes)

I'm gonna make the drive, I've got some friends in Tally.

(I was keeping a look out for someone in a Kings Of Leon shirt at the MMJ concert, to no avail. What'd you think of them?)

Sun Nov 02 Tallahassee FL THE MOON @ FSU The Hold Steady (HS Closes)

I'm gonna make the drive, I've got some friends in Tally.

(I was keeping a look out for someone in a Kings Of Leon shirt at the MMJ concert, to no avail. What'd you think of them?)

Great show...I just am a little embassered for Miami...I think the place was 1/2 full.

A number of venues are seated. Some are even dry. :o

Guess folks are getting out their flasks right now.

As for missing Jason and what he added to the mix, I sure do. However, I think Neff is an amazing musician who has filled the gap that Jason left. Time will tell if he adds more than great guitar work. I can see that happening. Zip City well the economy of words to paint that story...and 3 dimes down the other day in the park wreaked me...just amazing and the highlight of the set.