Southern California Wilco Jam!

AMP looks good as well. I like that they'll let us use a keyboard amp along with everything else. I just haven't been there. I'm in the South Bay, Torrance but I've been going to valley occasionally to rehearse for 30 years . . .

I work near there and have drive by it a ton of times, but have never been inside. From their website, they seem pretty cool. I have zero experience with booking hourly rehearsal rooms -- how is the availability? Do we need to do it (far) in advance?

I work near there and have drive by it a ton of times, but have never been inside. From their website, they seem pretty cool. I have zero experience with booking hourly rehearsal rooms -- how is the availability? Do we need to do it (far) in advance?

I've been there twice and the rehearsal rooms were pretty good. Everything seemed in good repair the common room was quite comfy. Getting a space didn't seem a problem. I think the second time we got a space we couldn't have given more than a few days notice (they have a lot of rooms). The first time we went through our scheduled time and then paid for another hour in that room and got it on the spot. My only complaint is that the parking is not so great. There's a parking lot, but I've never seen it not full. There's plenty of street parking, but the free stuff is not that near.

I think it really depends on the day we choose as far as availability. There will always be rooms available, but we'll want a specific (big) one so we don't feel crowded. I don't think it'll be a problem as long as we get it at least week in advance (and that's still a good margin of safety).

Okay, everybody's sent me their email so expect a date poll soon (like maybe tonight). To all the lurkers out there, it's time to stop lurking if you want a say in when we're going to have the jam (or at least PM me with your email address).

Okay, I've sent the date poll via meeting wizard, so if you sent me your email address, you should be getting a link to a site where you can indicate your availability. If you didn't receive the email, let me know so I can add you.

Let me know if you have problems with the site. Also, the times are approximate, essentially I just want to know your availability for a morning or afternoon/evening jam -- I figure we'll just rent space for several hours and people can show up when they want within that time.

Okay, I'll keep everyone posted as the responses come in.

Thanks!

We have a date!

Saturday, October 4th at 10:00.

The exact time might change depending on the hours of operation for the place we pick (speaking of which, we need to pick a place), but thank you to everyone who put up with my bureaucratic date polling!

Also, sorry to the people who couldn't make the date we selected. I did my best. We'll miss you and we hope that your schedules clear up.

So, we just need to pick a place and settle on a set list. It looks like we'll have a bass to play and a drummer to drum so we're in good shape!

I think this is our setlist:

California Stars

Far, Far Away

Forget the Flowers

Hell is Chrome

How to Fight Loneliness

I Got You

Jesus Etc.

Monday

Passenger Side

Red Eyed and Blue

Summerteeth

Theologians

Via Chicago

We could probably take a few more if anyone wants to add anything. Let us know soon because we're just about a week away!

Okay, we are booked for Amp Rehearsal Studio in North Hollywood on Saturday, October 4th. I'll be there at 10, but we'll have the room for several hours, so show up when you can. The drummer will be there at 11.

Amp Rehearsal Studio

5259 Lankershim Blvd

North Hollywood, CA 91601

Located north of the 134 and east of the 170 in the San Fernando Valley.

We'll be in Studio 5, which is downstairs. We should have a bass amp, keyboard amp, a Fender Twin Reverb, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe if you want to leave your amps at home.

So we've got a setlist and a place to rock-out; I think we're ready to jam!

I'm starting to come down with something....hopefully just a cold because I would be bummed as hell to miss this, but also driving two hours and not wanting to subject all you fine folks to it need to be taken into account. Pumping the meds so hopefully I'll be good to go.

I'm starting to come down with something....hopefully just a cold because I would be bummed as hell to miss this, but also driving two hours and not wanting to subject all you fine folks to it need to be taken into account. Pumping the meds so hopefully I'll be good to go.

I hope you feel better (I'll be bummed as hell, too, if you can't make it). The room we got is pretty big so you can stake out a corner and not worry about infecting us. Anyway, we got the room for a while, so you can sleep in and show up a little late.

As is viachicago tradition, I'm sending out some wellness vibes. :pray

I hope you feel better (I'll be bummed as hell, too, if you can't make it). The room we got is pretty big so you can stake out a corner and not worry about infecting us. Anyway, we got the room for a while, so you can sleep in and show up a little late.

As is viachicago tradition, I'm sending out some wellness vibes. :pray

~~~~~vibes~~~~~ I hope you can still make it!!!

Hey -- Big thanks to James for pulling this thing together and to those of you that could make it. I had a blast!

Hey thanks Andy! I'm glad you had a good time. I certainly did, too. Indeed, thanks to everyone who showed up and jammed! It was a pretty rad gig. I hope we can do it again sometime.

:cheers

So how many people made it? Any pictures? Funny stories? Glad everyone had fun!

You know, I had a camera in my bag and I totally forgot to use it. There was also the capability to record the whole thing on CD-R, but we didn't do that either. So, basically, there is virtually no documentation that the jam ever took place. Anyway, at its height, there were 5 people there including a drummer and a violinist (who kind of showed us all up by nailing the parts to Jesus Etc.) and three guitarists (who switched off between acoustic, electric, bass,and keyboards). Andy and Marko handled the vocals, and because of them, we were able to tell where the hell we were in the song; so I really have to thank them!

I think we played every song on our list, with the exception of Summerteeth and Theologians (some combination of them being too hard to wing and us running out of time).

I think the best part was that I got to meet some fellow viachicago-ers and they were great musicians and great people, too.

Glad you guys had a good jam. On the meeting wizard Sat. morn. is tough for me . . . there is a Sunday afternoon in Baracktober where 5 people are available (including yours truly) . . . I know not everyone can make each day (being left out on this first jam).

So I got the music book and everything . . . such is life

On the flip side, that Sat. church gig has gotten off to a good start. New Orleans gospel singer Chanelle Haynes from Trin-i-tee 5:7 has been helping us, although she'll be out the next few weeks promoting T57 Deluxe Edition. (Trinitee 5 7 does the 18th Divas Simply Singing benefit Sat Oct. 11th at the Wilshire Theater Beverly Hills, {patti labelle, patti austin, angie stone, lalah hathawy, miki howard, siedah garret . . .}since it's in town, she might squeeze sat.church in)

O.K. seriously though, Kidsmoke is about the only one from Via Chicago that I've met. I really like to participate in the So Cal Wilco Jam at some point.

I teach later on Tues. Thu and Fri so any of you can come to that particular music school and play Wilco Tunes, so thats Tues. Thu. or Fri after 8pm in the South Bay. We've got a drum kit 3 acoustic pianos small PA, bass amp. and a few very small guitar pratice amps. The Sun. afternoon time on the meeting wizard is pretty much open for me as well.

I'm a keyboard player and I got more interested in Wilco after Nels joined . . . then SBS came out and I was blown away . . . I went to see Banyan summer of 2007 and afterwrds came back to VC full on, CAUSE I GOT HOOKED,

Nels is an extremely inspiring guitar player, and I feel blessed to have played in a band with him, albeit breifly, in the 90's . . .

p.s. they don't even pass the basket at the sat. church service, it's alot of contemporary music and then of course the spoken message (aka sermon) . . . (oh yeah even Wilco saw Chanelle {with Trin-i-tee 5:7 when they teamed with the Clark sisters during the Aretha Franklin tribute at the Grammys.})

Glad you guys had a good jam. On the meeting wizard Sat. morn. is tough for me . . . there is a Sunday afternoon in Baracktober where 5 people are available (including yours truly) . . . I know not everyone can make each day (being left out on this first jam).

Yeah, I'm sorry we couldn't get everyone in there this time. Two people couldn't show at the last minute (missed you guys) so we would have had 7 people on Saturday. Sundays worked for me, but we wouldn't have had a drummer or bass. It's all a balancing act.

I teach later on Tues. Thu and Fri so any of you can come to that particular music school and play Wilco Tunes, so thats Tues. Thu. or Fri after 8pm in the South Bay. We've got a drum kit 3 acoustic pianos small PA, bass amp. and a few very small guitar pratice amps. The Sun. afternoon time on the meeting wizard is pretty much open for me as well.

Hey, if you want to host a Wilco Jam at your place, I'll show up. Traffic is so awful these days that driving to the South Bay on a weeknight is kinda rough, but I could swing it if I had enough notice.