Wilco - Bend 8/23

what does this mean?

After Jeff forgot a verse in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, somebody up front yelled something about how Thom Yorke forgets lyrics too. I think he said he didn't appreciate the comparison. He kept coming back to this throughout the show, such as after they butchered War on War, when he said something like "I bet Radiohead would have just stopped playing. We suck for the whole song."

Just downloaded it. Really nice sound - I'm glad I was there, and very happy that the recording seems to have captured their performance fairly well.

Jeff gave lots of funny commentary that night, spurred by some rowdy fans on the left side near the stage.

Good day. Been lurking the forum since the show hoping it would pop up for download. Been wanting to see Wilco for years, that was one of my favorite shows I've been to, highlight of a year that's been pretty great for live music otherwise.

Anyhow, don't wanna be classless and lurk a forum just 'til I get something I want, so I must say; a million thank yous to whoever recorded, upped, and is seeding it.

Lots of banter between him and the front crowd, something about Wilco making women ovulate and that the resulting pregnancies unfortunately make the babies look like them. He hasn't taken a good look at his rhythm section!

I don't want to be all "I was there!", but this one came about when he asked if he was pronouncing 'ululating' correctly. There was a security guy standing next to me at the front, and he sarcastically suggested 'ovulating'. Pretty awesome to hear this go down on the recording.

So at work today I was finally listening to the show, and comparing it to the set list (I got Mike's, and it's up on my cube wall! :D), and there weren't too many changes -- it looks like the plan was to play "Just a Kid" to close out the first encore, and they were also planning to segue from "Monday" directly into "Hoodoo Voodoo" during the second encore, rather than stick "Outtasite" between them. I'm still pretty pleased with the whole thing, though I admit I'd've loved to hear them play "Just a Kid" live.

The show is up over at etree.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=518373

Listening to it now. Nice sound, very enjoyable. I'll be seeding this one for a long time.

You might be the sole seeder who I'm lucky enough to get this show from right now. I'll join you in seeding this one for awhile. This show was so good that I couldn't speak intelligently for several hours afterward.

The scary mountain man was right in front of my girlfriend and I. As he had screamed "WILCO!!!!!" during every quiet part of every song, I finally broke my long-term commitment to staying quiet at shows and told him to "shut the fuck up." Of course, he didn't hear. (Hopefully the awesome taper's mic didn't hear either.) It still blows my mind that people will spend money to go to a concert and spend ridiculous amounts of money on beer when they could just stay home and listen to the record. They won't even remember most of the show anyway.

There should be an overhaul on rules concerning mental cases such as the scary mountain man at shows. Enthusiasm is one thing. Rude, unjustified mentalism is quite another. Good bands and good fans should get together and formulate a good way of weeding out those garbage-spewing bastards. Seriously. Some venues will throw someone out for smoking a joint or taping, but they will allow people to scream louder than the band throughout a performance. Something has to change.

Sorry for the rant there. I can't wait to hear this. Wilco changed my world that night.

• 2 months later...
You might be the sole seeder who I'm lucky enough to get this show from right now. I'll join you in seeding this one for awhile. This show was so good that I couldn't speak intelligently for several hours afterward.

The scary mountain man was right in front of my girlfriend and I. As he had screamed "WILCO!!!!!" during every quiet part of every song, I finally broke my long-term commitment to staying quiet at shows and told him to "shut the fuck up." Of course, he didn't hear. (Hopefully the awesome taper's mic didn't hear either.) It still blows my mind that people will spend money to go to a concert and spend ridiculous amounts of money on beer when they could just stay home and listen to the record. They won't even remember most of the show anyway.

There should be an overhaul on rules concerning mental cases such as the scary mountain man at shows. Enthusiasm is one thing. Rude, unjustified mentalism is quite another. Good bands and good fans should get together and formulate a good way of weeding out those garbage-spewing bastards. Seriously. Some venues will throw someone out for smoking a joint or taping, but they will allow people to scream louder than the band throughout a performance. Something has to change.

Sorry for the rant there. I can't wait to hear this. Wilco changed my world that night.

The good thing about it was again how Jeff managed to make a complete fool out of the guy, without him even ever getting it. If I remember correctly, which I'm sure I do not, (and this is probably on the recording too, which is being downloaded right now...), Jeff said something like "So, you people only come down from the mountains every ten years or so .... so the last time you came down was when A.M. was just released ..." or something in that order... I thought it was funny, even if I didn't get the whole thing... I mean, when other people around me laugh, I naturally laugh too, right? :)