New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, since you guys have more of a stake in it, can one of you Obamanites make me a list of the things McCain has pandered to the religious right on since 2000? I don't have the energy to do it.

With the Biden pick, Obama presents us with an elderly man who has had 2 aneurysms. If god forbid, Joe Biden passes away while in office, President Obama leaves us with the Speaker of the house in succession... and we do not know who this will be at that time. If Pelosi is out of office, or power, we could end up with 30-something year old former town councillor from Vermont. I'm not actually concerned about this, but I am trying to follow along with this line of thinking.

Assuming there isn't something catastophic, if the VP dies/leaves office the president names a new VP. And if the president goes first, then the VP moves to president and names a new VP. VPs do need to be approved by congress though. The idea is generally to make all of this happen fast to assure smooth succession.

This is why Gerald Ford was the only president not elected to high office.

Technically she has more "influence" as a Senator (one vote) than as pro tem.

But as President of the Senate she's more likely to be able whip her party members "not in line" into line. That's just my opinion, I feel like there's something more insidious at work as President of the Senate than just being the 101th vote.

It speaks to the 50% of the population that is female.

Except 60% to 70% of those females take positions against everything Palin stands for, so it's not a very smart pick.

With the Biden pick, Obama presents us with an elderly man who has had 2 aneurysms. If god forbid, Joe Biden passes away while in office, President Obama leaves us with the Speaker of the house in succession... and we do not know who this will be at that time. If Pelosi is out of office, or power, we could end up with 30-something year old former town councillor from Vermont. I'm not actually concerned about this, but I am trying to follow along with this line of thinking.

is 65 the new elderly? wow.

I see what you mean. Cheany had what, 4 by pass surguries prior to the 2000 election, and it scared me to think that we were one hheart attack away from Bush running things all by himself.

I see what you mean. Cheany had what, 4 by pass surguries prior to the 2000 election, and it scared me to think that we were one hheart attack away from Bush running things all by himself.

:lol

Except 60% to 70% of those females take positions against everything Palin stands for, so it's not a very smart pick.

Most people aren't single-issue voters, so abortion isn't necessarily a showstopper nor is it "everything she stands for," I would assume. Besides, they're not voting for Palin and her issues, they're voting for McCain.

Yeah?

Yep -- I don't know about 60-70% of women, but I do know it's 80-90% of women I know (and me).

Most people aren't single-issue voters, so abortion isn't necessarily a showstopper nor is it "everything she stands for," I would assume. Besides, they're not voting for Palin and her issues, they're voting for McCain.

Um, when it comes to Supreme Court nominations, it sure does become a single issue for me. I am no longer affected directly by choice -- I just don't want to see my kids/nieces/nephews affected by it.

Yep -- I don't know about 60-70% of women, but I do know it's 80-90% of women I know (and me).

Either a lot of women have a surprising herd mentality in their views (Being against everything she stands for), or you are trying to say Palin only stands for one thing.

Or maybe it was a fucking ridiculous thing to say. Yeah, that's what I'm going with.

So if John McCain, who is seven years older than Joe Biden, were to die, he would leave us with a 40-something former governor of the least populous state in the nation? And why, exactly, would some 30-something year old kid be Speaker of the House? Newt Gingrich is the youngest Speaker I can think of, and he was 52 when he assumed the role.

anybody who makes a candidate's race, skin color, etc. - basically, anything but their platform and ability to make it happen - their highest priority (if a priority at all) for earning their vote scares me somewhat.

as much as i dug into hillary during the primaries, i would hope that her female supporters did so out of her ability to lead and can see that at least part of the decision has been made as a marketing ploy...

Palin made an immediate play for support from Democratic women, mentioning that she followed in the footsteps of Geraldine Ferraro, who was the Democratic vice presidential running mate in 1984.

She also referred favorably to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who drew 18 million votes in her unsuccessful run against Obama for the Democratic nomination.

"But it turns out the women of America aren't finished yet and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all," she said.

and, personally, i thought that obama's speech last night transcended any historical relevence/racial ties to MLK...his race is not that exciting of a thing to me.

On the Tavis Smiley show after the Obama speech, Julianne Malveaux and Cornel West totally lost their shit because Barack did not mention MLK by name.

Either a lot of women have a surprising herd mentality in their views (Being against everything she stands for), or you are trying to say Palin only stands for one thing.

Or maybe it was a fucking ridiculous thing to say. Yeah, that's what I'm going with.

O fer chrissakes BB -- everything does not mean everything. And I don't even know what her "other things" are, tbh. I think very few people outside her/McCain and the population of Alaska do. I just know that in the AP story I read, it said staunchly pro-choice. I take that to mean no room for argument -- which is diametrically opposed to my views on the subject.

Our paper pointed out today that a hurricane is supposed to hit Louisiana the day Bush speaks at the Convention. Weird.

One thing interesting about the Palin pick is that she's under investigation right now.

For the record, I didn't like the scheduling of Obama's speech on the anniversary of I Have A Dream.

I'm pretty sure it was a lucky coincidence, set before Obama was picked.

O fer chrissakes BB -- everything does not mean everything. And I don't even know what her "other things" are, tbh. I think very few people outside her/McCain and the population of Alaska do. I just know that in the AP story I read, it said staunchly pro-choice. I take that to mean no room for argument -- which is diametrically opposed to my views on the subject.

Yeah. Which is it? Is abortion her only issue? If it is, then yeah, fine, I might buy it.

Or, is abortion the only thing that matters to 60-70% of women? If that's true then that's really sad.

Our paper pointed out today that a hurricane is supposed to hit Louisiana the day Bush speaks at the Convention. Weird.

One thing interesting about the Palin pick is that she's under investigation right now.

That's not interesting at all. It's nothing.

For the record, I didn't like the scheduling of Obama's speech on the anniversary of I Have A Dream.

I think NPR made the biggest deal during the primaries about people voting for Obama because he's black or Clinton because she's a woman. I found that frightening. If that's a person's main reason for voting for either, THAT person is racist or sexist.

Or, is abortion the only thing that matters to 60-70% of women? If that's true then that's really sad.

Reproductive rights are pretty important if you have a uterus. I don't vote for people who are anti-abortion, and I don't even have a uterus.