New Election Thread

I think NPR made the biggest deal during the primaries about people voting for Obama because he's black or Clinton because she's a woman. I found that frightening. If that's a person's main reason for voting for either, THAT person is racist or sexist.

welcome to America

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a total fucking stretch.

I thought it was common knowledge that the RNC bought a weather control machine from Halliburton and that they use it to cause such events.

But, hopefully, nobody is going to play up the Katrina angle like the MLK thing was played up.

I'll say the Katrina thing is infinitely more of a stretch than MLK. At least MLK had some symbolism.

For the record, I didn't like the scheduling of Obama's speech on the anniversary of I Have A Dream.

dude, they set the location and dates of the convetions way before they have a candidate. and, at both conventions, the acceptance of the presidential nomination and resulting speech are always last.

you know i love you, kid...but damn are you looking for somethign to be pissed off and contrarian about.

Lol, on the other board I'm on where it is mostly conservative, they are raving about Palin. Just goes to show it has nothing to do with her and everything to do with politics.

Well, at least nobody on this board is trying to make me feel guilty about not wanting to vote. So, point for you guys.

I already tried. Sorry. But really, you live in a Democracy pull your hand out of your pants, stop preaching about your racial paradise and do something. Anyone who thinks racism is a thing of the past is probably white. I happily celebrate obvious improvements in this country, right along side you. But to run around telling everyone racism is dead is irresponsible and absurd.

To follow that up with a push for not voting makes me think you are icing over this political thread with some sugar-free vanilla. It's like someone coming to a football thread to tell everyone not to play. Voting is a responsibility. Anyone who refuses to participate is biding their time for an oligarchy.

Yeah. Which is it? Is abortion her only issue? If it is, then yeah, fine, I might buy it.

Or, is abortion the only thing that matters to 60-70% of women? If that's true then that's really sad.

You know that having a child is a huge life changer, right? It makes the ability to choose whether or not you have one a pretty big deal. Trust me on this.

I would imagine it has something to do with the administration's handling of the Katrina disaster. It's a bit of a stretch.

After 'last guy' wet the bed on the whole 'disaster' issue. I think the republican party doesn't wan't to be seen partying while Louisiana gets hit again.

I see what you mean. Cheany had what, 4 by pass surguries prior to the 2000 election, and it scared me to think that we were one hheart attack away from Bush running things all by himself.

You felt more comfortable with Cheney running things?

dude, they set the location and dates of the convetions way before they have a candidate. and, at both conventions, the acceptance of the presidential nomination and resulting speech are always last.

you know i love you, kid...but damn are you looking for somethign to be pissed off and contrarian about.

Well, to be honest, I realize now it wasn't scheduled that way, but it still didn't sit well with me how big a deal CNN in particular was making of it.

I already tried. Sorry. But really, you live in a Democracy pull your hand out of your pants, stop preaching about your racial paradise and do something. Anyone who thinks racism is a thing of the past is probably white. I happily celebrate obvious improvements in this country, right along side you. But to run around telling everyone racism is dead is irresponsible and absurd.

To follow that up with a push for not voting makes me think you are icing over this political thread with some sugar-free vanilla. It's like someone coming to a football thread to tell everyone not to play. Voting is a responsibility. Anyone who refuses to participate is biding their time for an oligarchy.

I'm Puerto Rican. I live in an area that is something like 60-25-15 hispanic, white, black. I went to a predominantly black middle school, and a predominantly hispanic high school. My college is 67% hispanic. It's not that racism is dead, but for people of my generation, in my area, it's not an issue. It might not be everywhere, but in my situation, it's not.

And not voting acts as a vote of no confidence in the system, in my opinion.

Well, to be honest, I realize now it wasn't scheduled that way, but it still didn't sit well with me how big a deal CNN in particular was making of it.

I'm Puerto Rican. I live in an area that is something like 60-25-15 hispanic, white, black. I went to a predominantly black middle school, and a predominantly hispanic high school. My college is 67% hispanic. It's not that racism is dead, but for people of my generation, in my area, it's not an issue. It might not be everywhere, but in my situation, it's not.

Fair enough. But no one counted your vote. They love when young thinkers like you don't vote. It makes it easy to maintain the status quo.

I can get behind this.

I have "voted" in elections where I write in a ridiculous candidate, too, but realize that's also just a waste of time.

I don't buy the "if you don't vote you have no room to complain/comment/etc." line, either.

Fair enough. But no one counted your vote. They love when young thinkers like you don't vote. It makes it easy to maintain the status quo.

Voting either democrat or republican is the easiest possible way to maintain the status quo, imo.

It's not that racism is dead, but for people of my generation, in my area, it's not an issue. It might not be everywhere, but in my situation, it's not.

yeah, i don't think he ever used the term 'dead' (kind of 'irresponsible' to pin that on him, yeah?) and to be fair, hang-ups w/ race amongst people of his generation aren't near to the level of old. there have been some excellent articles to that extent, that i look at very postively.

Voting either democrat or republican is the easiest possible way to maintain the status quo, imo.

yah, but are you working for the revolution as well as not voting? NOT voting is the easiest way to maintain the status quo. it takes a little more effort to go out and vote.

yeah, i don't think he ever used the term 'dead' (kind of 'irresponsible' to pin that on him, yeah?) and to be fair, hang-ups w/ race amongst people of his generation aren't near to the level of old. there have been some excellent articles to that extent, that i look at very postively.

Yet, sexism still runs pretty rampant. Go figure.

yah, but are you working for the revolution as well as not voting? NOT voting is the easiest way to maintain the status quo. it takes a little more effort to go out and vote.

This is going to go in circles.

This is going to go in circles.

that's okay. most things do.