New Election Thread

FWIW, your wife and I are in total agreement. It's pretty obvious why she was chosen.

If the McCain camp thinks Hillary Clinton supporters will support an inexperienced, pro-life, gun-toting, beauty queen -- then they fatally miscalculated (for the record, I don't personally think any of those things are terribly important, particularily the last -- but others will). I think the McCain camp is smarter than that, and the choice was more likely to shore up staunch conservative support that was apprehensive to trust McCain.

Overall, I think it will prove to be a daring, but poor choice. McCain needs help in the eastern midwest (Indiana, Mich., Penn., Ohio) and economic credibility. Palin offers neither of those, and undercuts McCain's #1 criticism of Obama -- experience. I do, however, think she will fare far better in the debates with Biden than people think. Its all an expectations game (see: intellecutually challenged Bush besting the formidable Al Gore in 2000 debates in the court of public opinion).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palin Pleased with Obama's Energy Plan

August 4, 2008, Fairbanks, Alaska - Governor Sarah Palin today responded to the energy plan put forward by the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

"I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska's natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs," Governor Palin said. "The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs."

In a speech given in Lansing, Michigan, Senator Obama called for the completion of the Alaska natural gas pipeline, stating, "Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska natural gas pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process."

Governor Palin also acknowledged the Senator's proposal to offer $1,000 rebates to those struggling with the high cost of energy.

"We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home," Governor Palin said. "This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board."

The Governor did question the means to pay for Obama's proposed rebate

If the McCain camp thinks Hillary Clinton supporters will support an inexperienced, pro-life, gun-toting, beauty queen -- then they fatally miscalculated (for the record, I don't personally think any of those things are terribly important, particularily the last -- but others will). I think the McCain camp is smarter than that, and the choice was more likely to shore up staunch conservative support that was apprehensive to trust McCain.

Overall, I think it will prove to be a daring, but poor choice. McCain needs help in the eastern midwest (Indiana, Mich., Penn., Ohio) and economic credibility. Palin offers neither of those, and undercuts McCain's #1 criticism of Obama -- experience. I do, however, think she will fare far better in the debates with Biden than people think. Its all an expectations game (see: intellecutually challenged Bush besting the formidable Al Gore in 2000 debates in the court of public opinion).

She gotta be better than Romney. I think the logic may have been she brings the social conservatism Romney would have brought without any of the negatives of Mitt.

She gotta be better than Romney. I think the logic may have been she brings the social conservatism Romney would have brought without any of the negatives of Mitt.

True, and I can definitely see that. Other side is Romney helps greatly in Michigan and on the economy. I've personally never been able to take him seriously though. Maybe McCain couldn't either.

Solace -- has Obama hired you yet? He really should. :thumbup Two great posts (see vid on other page). The news channels don't offer anything half as intriguing.

So the Governor of Alaska likes the fact that Obama supports a pipeline in her state. Disagrees with his windfall tax proposal. And wishes to know more about the VP job before accepting the post.

Yes, quite damning.

I do, however, think she will fare far better in the debates with Biden than people think. Its all an expectations game (see: intellecutually challenged Bush besting the formidable Al Gore in 2000 debates in the court of public opinion).

as long as biden doesn't say, with hand gestures, "we're going to put it in a lock box and throw away the key" fifty billion times, he should do pretty well in the debates.

My wife, who likes John McCain more than Hillary Clinton, just told me that she feels "insulted as a woman" by the choice of Palin, because it so transparently reeks of tokenism. She called the move "condescending."

:thumbup :thumbup

So the Governor of Alaska likes the fact that Obama supports a pipeline in her state. Disagrees with his windfall tax proposal. And wishes to know more about the VP job before accepting the post.

Yes, quite damning.

Ah -- I believe I said "intriguing" not "damning." Its intriguing that while being considered for a VP position for Republicans, she would make a public statement saying ANYTHING in support of Obama in the same month as the VP selection. And personally, I find it very intriguing that McCain's Vice President pick doesn't know what a vice president does. Sounds highly relevant to me, considering that's the job she wants to be elected for.

yeah, i don't think he ever used the term 'dead' (kind of 'irresponsible' to pin that on him, yeah?) and to be fair, hang-ups w/ race amongst people of his generation aren't near to the level of old. there have been some excellent articles to that extent, that i look at very postively.

Nice. You're right. That was my mistake. I can celibrate the major steps in this country that took place in the 20th century, as should you and anyone else. Race is always a tight rope walk, for starter's it is 19th century biology, it doesn't actually work as an accurate way of grouping people. To fragment that even further, it is an operating concept that effects the way people see each other, whether it is real or not. I am always on guard; I've seen in liberal circles how everyone can be so enlightened on the issue, they convince themselves the world is. Unfortunately untrue.

Since Obama picked Biden, I had been growing in the belief that Mike Huckabee would've been a smart choice for McCain. Social conservatives love him. I, personally, cannot stand most of the Christian Coalition Republicans, but respect Huckabee. He's smart, friendly w/ some Democrats (e.g., former Iowa gov. Vilsack), and darned funny as he's shown during several appearances on Colbert Report. In a debate, his humor and gentle demeanor could've really defused Biden.

This choice seems to me (only hours after the fact) to be political suicide. McCain just threw away the major theme his campaign has used so far: experience matters.

Admittedly, a lot can change between now and November, but for now: Congratulations, President Obama.

And..... forgive me if anyone has already spotted the symetry on this, but look at the two parties. Obama is accused of being unexperienced, he gets a seasoned bulldog of a VP. McCain is counted off as another disconnected rich white male and he finds a VP that would be the first female VP in office if elected.

Since Obama picked Biden, I had been growing in the belief that Mike Huckabee would've been a smart choice for McCain. Social conservatives love him. I, personally, cannot stand most of the Christian Coalition Republicans, but respect Huckabee. He's smart, friendly w/ some Democrats (e.g., former Iowa gov. Vilsack), and darned funny as he's shown during several appearances on Colbert Report. In a debate, his humor and gentle demeanor could've really defused Biden.

This choice seems to me (only hours after the fact) to be political suicide. McCain just threw away the major theme his campaign has used so far: experience matters.

Admittedly, a lot can change between now and November, but for now: Congratulations, President Obama.

I agree with the first paragraph, though for some reason Huckabee never seemed to be a serious contender for VP. I don't know much about Palin, so I don't know about the political suicide part. Obama can't really criticize her for lack of experience and be taken seriously. I don't really know the conversion formula, but 4 years as a Senator can't be considered much better than 2 as a governor.

Obama can't really criticize her for lack of experience and be taken seriously. I don't really know the conversion formula, but 4 years as a Senator can't be considered much better than 2 as a governor.

i don't think it that's the point though. what he can criticize is the mccain endorsed message that obama isn't ready because of experieince. big difference. if anything, it looks flip-floppy...and i thought the republican crowd hates bot the flipping and the flopping?

it's also what, real or not, creates the air of very little else than tokenism based on his original stance that experience = ability to lead.

i don't think it that's the point though. what he can criticize is the mccain endorsed message that obama isn't ready because of experieince. big difference. if anything, it looks flip-floppy...and i thought the republican crowd hates bot the flipping and the flopping?

it's also what, real or not, creates the air of very little else than tokenism based on his original stance that experience = ability to lead.

Exactly!

I don't really know the conversion formula, but 4 years as a Senator can't be considered much better than 2 as a governor.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Republicans making the argument that executive experience is more relevant, and Democrats claiming that experience at a national level is what matters.

:yes Its about credibility. She does give him some good ol' "impeachment insurance" though. Too bad he has to get elected first.

I agree with the first paragraph, though for some reason Huckabee never seemed to be a serious contender for VP. I don't know much about Palin, so I don't know about the political suicide part. Obama can't really criticize her for lack of experience and be taken seriously. I don't really know the conversion formula, but 4 years as a Senator can't be considered much better than 2 as a governor.

i know it's not on the national scale, but do people honestly not know he was in the IL state legislature for 8 years too from 1997 to 2004? :unsure

gotta count for something... it's a state job just like the Governor is...

Fair enough. If Obama uses that argument to point out the contradictions in McCain's message, then it might succeed. But if he argues that she's not ready for the job, then he's being hypocritical. I never really bought the whole lack of experience argument anyway. There's just nothing that can prepare you for the job of President (being a governor might be the closest, but it's 1/50 of the job), and there's definitely no evidence that having more experience in government makes a good President.

I never really bought the whole lack of experience argument anyway. There's just nothing that can prepare you for the job of President

now this we can agree on :)

you're taking a calcluated risk with whoever you choose

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Republicans making the argument that executive experience is more relevant, and Democrats claiming that experience at a national level is what matters.

sounds likely.

she has governed for a year and a half a state with a population of about 670,000. how complex and difficult can that be? not that i'd want to do it!

Ms. Alaska

Timothy Egan/NYT

She hunts! She fishes! She eats moose burgers! She can gut a salmon as well as dispatch an incumbent governor! She