New Election Thread

Ah -- I believe I said "intriguing" not "damning." Its intriguing that while being considered for a VP position for Republicans, she would make a public statement saying ANYTHING in support of Obama in the same month as the VP selection. And personally, I find it very intriguing that McCain's Vice President pick doesn't know what a vice president does. Sounds highly relevant to me, considering that's the job she wants to be elected for.

Duh, all she has to do is ask DIck Cheney, the VP Runss the damned country!

I agree with the first paragraph, though for some reason Huckabee never seemed to be a serious contender for VP. I don't know much about Palin, so I don't know about the political suicide part. Obama can't really criticize her for lack of experience and be taken seriously. I don't really know the conversion formula, but 4 years as a Senator can't be considered much better than 2 as a governor.

It all depends. I have no clue as to what sort of duties she has as gov. Way back in 2000 people touted Bush as being qualified for being Gov of a large state, but they neglected to mention that the Gov of TX has very little power within his own state. Especially when compared to governor of say California, Illlinois or Pennsylvania. But also remember that prior to being gov her experience was all within the city council and as mayor of a town with 5500 people. Imagine the headlines if Obama or any democrate made sucha pick for VP?

As to Obama, I do hope you know that he did serve at the state level for several terms in the Senate. So he does have 8 years as a state senator as well as four at the national level.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. If Obama uses that argument to point out the contradictions in McCain's message, then it might succeed. But if he argues that she's not ready for the job, then he's being hypocritical. I never really bought the whole lack of experience argument anyway. There's just nothing that can prepare you for the job of President (being a governor might be the closest, but it's 1/50 of the job), and there's definitely no evidence that having more experience in government makes a good President.

yep. personally, the whole experience thing doesn't register that high w/ me either. definitely no evidence that having more experience in government makes a good president...look at W's second term. ;)

But also remember that prior to being gov her experience was all within the city council and as mayor of a town with 5500 people. Imagine the headlines if Obama or any democrate made sucha pick for VP?

As to Obama, I do hope you know that he did serve at the state level for several terms in the Senate. So he does have 8 years as a state senator as well as four at the national level.

hmm, she might better leave the council and mayor positions off her resume. her town has 3000 fewer people than mine, and believe me, this town government is small potatoes in the extreme.

In defense of Palin and the family values/working mom thing. Family values means a strong family, whether or not the mom or the dad "brings home the bacon" is irrelevant. As long as she has a supportive husband and supportive kids (the older ones anyways) it's still a strong family. Just because she works and will be campaigning, doesn't mean that she's just going to cast her kids, especially the baby, aside.

A friend of mine works full time and her husband is a stay at home dad. There's nothing wrong with that.

Did anyone else notice that McCain spent most of the time Palin was speaking twirling his wedding ring and staring at her ass? Seriously.

:ike

or maybe he's married, but not too married. I thought she looked a little creeped out when he went to hug her after her speech.

Thank you for your insightful analysis of my wife's response. Clearly, you considered all the complexities of her reasoning and psychology. :rolleyes

Actually, no, I didn't. I figured since you thought it was important enough to share her complex response to McCain's interesting and thoughtful choice of a running mate, I could comment on my disappointment that the only thing that was looked at or noticed was her gender.

this really shook things up. not for people who actually follow politics but for the rest of the population. its an intresting tatic since Obama has begun to be tuff and that has worked. The image of Biden debating Palin might backfire. This also might be the most desprate move in republican history.

Romney was never going to happen one evil smirk is enough to sink the republican ticket this year and the monster morman would of been an atom bomb.

It' been 40 years, I bet he's had time to catch up on his ass-gazing. It struck me as funny, and creepy, in its blatantness, with his wife and daughter sitting right behind him.

Maybe he needs to find something to run on besides having suffered the consequences a combat soldier could reasonably expect to suffer in wartime.

In defense of Palin and the family values/working mom thing. Family values means a strong family, whether or not the mom or the dad "brings home the bacon" is irrelevant. As long as she has a supportive husband and supportive kids (the older ones anyways) it's still a strong family. Just because she works and will be campaigning, doesn't mean that she's just going to cast her kids, especially the baby, aside.

A friend of mine works full time and her husband is a stay at home dad. There's nothing wrong with that.

You know that may be how you feel, but where I live (farm country) it is very important that the man be the "bread winner" My brother in law fully believes that and absolutely discounts his wifes job as irrelevant. That being said to these same people it is far more important that the candidate have an R next to their name than any other issue.

Ya know, for 5 and a half years John McCain didn't see any babes' backsides.

Exact response I was 'specting.

O fer chrissakes BB -- everything does not mean everything. And I don't even know what her "other things" are, tbh. I think very few people outside her/McCain and the population of Alaska do. I just know that in the AP story I read, it said staunchly pro-choice. I take that to mean no room for argument -- which is diametrically opposed to my views on the subject.

within minutes of hearing her nom Fox was boasting about her choice to not abort her 5th kid. This we will here over and over and over. I hope she has a great nanny, or is that a VP job benefit?

I think NPR made the biggest deal during the primaries about people voting for Obama because he's black or Clinton because she's a woman. I found that frightening. If that's a person's main reason for voting for either, THAT person is racist or sexist.

I feel the same way, but also include people voting based only on religion or abortion.

Well, to be honest, I realize now it wasn't scheduled that way, but it still didn't sit well with me how big a deal CNN in particular was making of it.

It's not that racism is dead, but for people of my generation, in my area, it's not an issue. It might not be everywhere, but in my situation, it's not.

And not voting acts as a vote of no confidence in the system, in my opinion.

I hear you Bobbob...although I'm older and from the midwest I think your generation is proving race is not such an issue.

I'm a white chick from the bible belt of MO that grew up in Kansas City with racism evident in ghettos, schools, jobs, housing, government....you name it, but my generation ( a bit older than Bobbob) seems to pass over it quite well as long as people work hard and want to be part of the community. It's not really an issue for me unless a minority card is unfairly played, then it's annoying @ best. Our generation is just used to being part of a bigger community that includes minorities, gay and lesbian individuals, and a mix of religions, so we usually don't think much about it. I don't think it's cause I'm white I don't see race as an issue. I could pick out possible racism from all sides if I wanted to waste my time. My kid can love anyone she chooses, except a republican :shifty .

Besides, Obama is as much white as he is black, so I don't get it anyway. Some will vote McCain just because he is a white male..