New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom raised me to be a feminist.

thank her for us. it's looking like she did a downright decent job! :yes

It just strikes me as odd how Palin has been tossed off so quickly and easily as she has been as just a woman for the sake of being a woman.

hmm, i'm sure some of that stuff is happening, but in some ways it's no different from the initial reactions to geraldine ferraro, dan quayle, etc.

the fact that she's a woman makes no difference to me whatsoever except that it smacks so completely of tokenism. i mean, that's what it is, and i agree with mrs beltmann that it's condescending in a big way. but there's plenty beyond that to be skeptical about -- most of her views, for example -- and let's face it, she is greener than green. most people never even heard of her until today. for those reasons and more, it's pretty hard to take this choice seriously.

With a wife and mother-in-law working in separate, male-dominated fields, it still never ceases to amaze me the crap they have to go through and put up with. Hopefully, when my daughter is old enough, it will be a thing of the past, but I see no imminent change in thinking in the near future. The reaction to Palin and the tear-down of Clinton unfortunately bear that out.

I'm a guy, but I've always been a big believer in woman's rights. It just doesn't make sense that it's even an issue in this day and age.

My dear cod, I hope Obama wins.

With a wife and mother-in-law working in separate, male-dominated fields, it still never ceases to amaze me the crap they have to go through and put up with. Hopefully, when my daughter is old enough, it will be a thing of the past, but I see no imminent change in thinking in the near future. The reaction to Palin and the tear-down of Clinton unfortunately bear that out.

oh, there's still plenty of crap out there for women, no question about it. i got tired of it really fast, which is why most of my work life has been spent self-employed. i don't really see clinton as torn down. no doubt she faced huge challenges and some prejudices (as do lots of people and for various reasons). but i think by the end of her campaign, she had won over many voters who wouldn't have given her the time of day a year or two ago. the reaction to palin is based on so many things, a good number of them valid, including initial outright shock. i wouldn't put treatment of her and of clinton in the same category at all.

i wouldn't put treatment of her and of clinton in the same category at all.

No it will be much worse for Palin since she's pro-life and will get it from all fronts: the women-hating side and wrong-kind-of-woman side.

I've yet to see what qualifies Palin to lead a country should McCain kick the bucket. I think it has nothing to do with her being a woman except that it's most likely tokenism purposes. Until today, I had never heard of her just like the majority of the country.

You've gotta pay your dues.

Damn, did this thread move while I was away or what? I've mulled this over in my mind off-and-on all day, and I still am just dumbstruck, flabbergasted, etc. Palin may be an awesome human being, I don't know. But to think that McCain made this decision after meeting Palin exactly one time just floors me! This is truly one of the most far-out things I've ever heard of in a Presidential election.

This just seems to be potentially a reckless decision - which once again brings us back to comparing McCain to the ultimate reckless decider GWB.

You've gotta pay your dues.

Uhhhh...riiiiight

McCain/MILF 2008

This post says more about you then any thing else you've ever posted.

She can be a woman, man, Alaskan, mineral, vegetable, half-elf, half-orc, all orc, cylindrical or built like an Egyptian shithouse - if she don't support a woman's right to control her own uterus, I ain't pulling her lever.

Why is the uterus special? We don't have a Constitutional right to control (or lose control of) our nervous systems. Would you vote for a candidate that's in favor of keeping LSD illegal?

Why is the uterus special? We don't have a Constitutional right to control (or lose control of) our nervous systems. Would you vote for a candidate that's in favor of keeping LSD illegal?

a uterus can punish you with a baby.

With reluctance, yes, because it is reasonable to restrict access to that particular very powerful drug. It is not reasonable to make a woman have a baby against her will.

a uterus can punish you with a baby.

So can a good dose of LSD.

With reluctance, yes, because it is reasonable to restrict access to that particular very powerful drug. It is not reasonable to make a woman have a baby against her will.

But it is reasonable to kill a fetus?

Palin will pick up the Hillary supporters who are one dimentional. This is going to be a pretty one dimentional election in many respects anyway. Hell I am voting for Obama, for one reason ( aside from the fact that I lik him alot...), because it is time to dump ALL the Bushies out the fucking door as quickly as possible. For most people it is really not about ideology it is about simple shit like pro or anti abortion (as we can see from this thread), pro or anti second amendment, pro or anti war, pro or anti green, pro or anti woman, pro or anti gay, pro or anti taxes, pro or anti black, pro or anti experience, pro or anti establishment (the main reason to consider that goof Nader one more time), etc. etc.

All those so called undecided voters will make a decision at the last minute that McCain is the best person to keep the US safe from terrorists or will vote for Obama because, heck he is younger and way cuter....

LouieB

And on energy, she could have a debate with her ticket-mate, for Palin favors drilling for oil in the Alaska wildlife refuge, while McCain opposes it -
Hell I am voting for Obama, for one reason ( aside from the fact that I lik him alot...), because it is time to dump ALL the Bushies out the fucking door as quickly as possible.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Bush isn't running this year. The 22nd Amendment to the Constitution limits a President to just two terms.