New Election Thread

Okay before we see a new thread called: The election thread for real, for real. Maybe someone wants to verbally battle out their abortion feelings on a Pro Choice vs. Pro Life subtext "where does a male fit into the choice" thread.

I want to know what you guys think Obama wants to do with, for, or to the new citizens coming in to our country and if you like his take on it.

Or what about guesses on what he'd like to do/not do involving Iran.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on the road to Maine! Currently in Freeport, tomorrow in Portland.

oh you meant it!!! tomorrow i'm in the wilds of limington, back home monday. welcome! :hug

Immigration is not an issue I care much about, living close to the Canadian border. (Except immigration to Canada, that interests me.) Most of the fighting about it seems racially motivated.

Starting a war with Iran would be an unspeakable horror show. My understanding of the Iranian people is that they are a modern, well-educated, contemporary AND ancient culture saddled with an unfortunate and repressive theocracy. But we can't force American-style democracy down their throats.

I think the male role in child bearing decision varies with the relationship. One night stand, not his say. In couplehood, hopefully a mutually satisfactory resolution can be reached.

Hixter, I hear all that and understand, and that judge is way off base. The fundamental is that women bear children, and that will (and in my mind should) give them a greater say in issues of childbearing. In the vast majority of cases, women remain the primary caregivers. So just as women's rights have not caught up to men's in practical terms, men's rights in the arena of family law have also not shifted sufficiently. There may be economic justice at some point, but the biological issue is not likely to be resolved. That's the glory of, that's the story of love.

Or what about guesses on what he'd like to do/not do involving Iran.

I don't want to guess, I want him to tell me. If he's trying to win my vote, that is.

Israel has announced that they will not let Iran go nuclear. If Iran doesn't halt their program, Israel is prepared to launch a unilateral strike. Any strike by Israel would be viewed as an attack by the U.S. (and Iran has said as much) because the U.S. supports and arms Israel. They'd probably overfly Iraq anyway, so that would require U.S. complicity by allowing Israeli planes safe passage. So the U.S. will try to hold off the Israelis as long as possible, but if sanctions fail or Iran doesn't back down you can expect the president - be it Bush, Obama or McCain - to reluctantly enter into a short, sharp attack on Iran.

Actually, my marriage was terminated.

you were saying men don't have the right to choose about terminating a pregnancy, so the joke was that she didn't give you the choice to watch the game.....sorry, thought you'd like that one actually.....

Bobbob is not a Republican, as far as I know. And he's right - Michael Moore is a distorting, disingenuous blowhard.

See: Independent/Democratic :realmad Anger :realmad Management :realmad . Sorry, again, no link.

But we can't force American-style democracy down their throats.

This is not about an invasion or democracy. It's about denying nuclear weapons to a threatening regime. And if you don't believe it's a threat, look what the Iranian leader just did in secular, NATO-member, Turkey:

From today's L.A. Times:

Departing from established practice of having visiting Muslim heads of state pray in a smaller mosque in Istanbul, the government allowed Ahmadinejad to pray in the Blue Mosque, Turkey's symbol of tolerant Ottoman Islam. With permission from Turkish authorities, he also allowed Iranian television to videotape him during the entire prayer, in violation of Islamic tradition, which requires quiet and intimate communion between God and the faithful. There was so much commotion around Ahmadinejad that the imam had to chide the congregants. Then, as he left the mosque, Ahmadinejad got out of his car to encourage a crowd of about 300 to chant, "Death to Israel! Death to America!"

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...0,1494855.story

Sounds like the kind of guy open to respectful diplomacy, eh?

There's a reason none of the region's nations (save Syria) are making much of a stink about the pressure being put on Iran. They're scared of a nuclear Iran and would very much like for anyone - even Israel - to remove the threat. There was barely a ripple of concern when Israel struck the Syrian nuclear facility last year.

you were saying men don't have the right to choose about terminating a pregnancy, so the joke was that she didn't give you the choice to watch the game.....sorry, thought you'd like that one actually.....

I caught it man. :thumbup

In my case, I asked the judge about requiring my kids' mother to pay support and was told, "Just be happy you received custody." I doubt a judge would ever say that to a woman.

Wow, that sucks man, and I agree with your doubt. Depending on your personal circumstances, you should really consider an appeal -- or, since child support orders (or lack thereof) are modifiable and can therefore be challeneged in other jurisidictions (if you can get jurisdiction in another state). (disclaimer: I am a lawyer, but this is only casual advice....)

you should really consider an appeal

My kids are 21 and 22 now. Money would have made things easier, but we did fine without it. My ex was a lousy mother, skipping Christmas and birthday presents most years and rarely having any contact with the kids. Not 'owing' her anything because of support payments made things easier.

"birth control for a woman is also a choice." yes, although there's a big difference: every single birth control method for a woman is invasive, some more seriously than others. all a man has to do is pop on a condom.

Sex is pretty invasive for a woman. Just sayin'.

Sex is pretty invasive for a woman. Just sayin'.

do you really want to talk about the difference? :innocent

My kids are 21 and 22 now. Money would have made things easier, but we did fine without it. My ex was a lousy mother, skipping Christmas and birthday presents most years and rarely having any contact with the kids. Not 'owing' her anything because of support payments made things easier.

Sounds like peace of mind was worth a lot more than any payment. One great dad beats two lousy parents any day, which is what so many kids have to contend with.

They are evacuating New Orleans. The Government (at all levels) better get their shit together this time.

One would hope. Obviously, the safety of Gulf residents is the first, and only serious concern. But since this is a thread about the ensuing election, it also interests me how this storm will affect that election. At first blush it would appear the timing couldn't be worse for Republicans -- taking media attention away from the convention, and reminding voters of a major Republican failure of the last 4 years in Katrina.

But now, Bush may not speak at the convention as planned -- in order to take some bullshit photos to pretend he really does care (this time) about minority hurricane victims who didn't vote form him. Dem's biggest attack is 'a vote for McCain is a vote for 4 more years of Bush policies -- McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time.....'. I was most interested to see how Bush's presence at the Rep. convention would play out -- the only reason McCain sold his soul and disingenuously embraced Bush was to get the far-right conservative vote who don't trust him AND for fundraising. If I were Obama's campaign manager, I would be cringing at the thought of the least popular president since the inception of modern polling, absent at my opponent's convention.

Ironically, this hurricane could politically benefit Republicans. Perfect excuse to pretend W doesn't exist.

There are now rumors on the internets that Sarah Palin faked her pregnancy because she didn't want people to know her young daughter was actually the one who was pregnant.

It would be nice if people focused on the issues, instead of trying to make stuff up.

Absolutely. Let's focus on the issues. I was so inspired, I clicked right on the link you provided about Sarah Palin faking her pregnancy. :P

There are now rumors on the internets that Sarah Palin faked her pregnancy because she didn't want people to know her young daughter was actually the one who was pregnant.

It would be nice if people focused on the issues, instead of trying to make stuff up.

I fully agree as candidates the issues are paramount, but it does seem a little weird to me. I'm not going to hold Palin especially accountable on the issue if it ever proves to be true, but if it does, lying when in public office is a dangerous thing (even if to protect their child).

Plus, the girl looks legit preggo in that family shot. That ain't fat.

But now, Bush may not speak at the convention as planned -- in order to take some bullshit photos to pretend he really does care (this time) about minority hurricane victims who didn't vote form him.

Or maybe, as incompetent as he is, he really does care. At least he cares more than Michael Moore.

Or maybe, as incompetent as he is, he really does care. At least he cares more than Michael Moore.

The minute I saw this on Olbermann I knew that every Republican without a sense of humor would be all over this. This is bad but when the preacher says Katrina was a payback for all the homosexuals, that makes sense.

Ikol since the economic downturn is not hutring you do you think you could send me some money in Jan. or Feb. I'm going to need some help paying the bills. My wife and I are both educated but we graduated during the Bush administration. We entered college during the Clinton administration with promises of butterflies and daffodil fields. Well my wife and I still live paycheck to paycheck.

The minute I saw this on Olbermann I knew that every Republican without a sense of humor would be all over this.

it's fricking hilarious, but not because it was a good joke. i'm laughing because i love to see the libs continuing this notion that god is a democrat and that he has blessed us with obama. awesome.

This is bad but when the preacher says Katrina was a payback for all the homosexuals, that makes sense.

no, that doesn't make sense.

We entered college during the Clinton administration with promises of butterflies and daffodil fields.

you libs are always falling for the promises of butterflies and daffodil fields.