Electric Picnic- Ireland-Wilco

Wilco were on at 8.15 Saturday night.

They seemed relaxed and into the gig. Jeff was wearing a wooly hat that kept slipping down over his eyes which was pretty funny. Then at one point he pulled it down over his face to his chin and played like that for a while. The only complaint is that they only had an hr, it was so brief and Jeff even remarked they hadn't much time for talking.

Setlist was something like this-

Misunderstood

Impossible Germany

Shot in the Arm

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

Hummingbird

Walken

ITMWLY

I'm A Wheel

I'm probably missing one or two others but that was basically it. Jeff as laughing at one point at a guy who got up on somebodys shoulders, he had his shirt off and had "Remember the Mountain Bed" scrawled across his chest with black marker.

A question- what sense does it make for a festival to bring over Wilco for 1 european gig, they're equipment etc and only have them play for an hr ? Seemed ridiculous to me they're set was so short.

A question- what sense does it make for a festival to bring over Wilco for 1 european gig, they're equipment etc and only have them play for an hr ? Seemed ridiculous to me they're set was so short.

good question...

Most festival sets aren't any longer than an hour (unless it's a headliner). But yeah, it seems like a long way to go just for an hour. Maybe the promoter was such a fan, they were willing to pay over the odds just to get a chance to see Wilco.... maybe???

I'm glad to see Jeff, John, and Pat using the trip as a chance to play more shows. Nels, due to some scheduling snafu, is slated to play a set at the Angel City Jazz Festival in L.A. tonight with Scott Amendola, Ben Goldberg, Becca Michalek, and Joel Hamilton. I have a feeling they may open with a new 20-minute improvisational piece called Jet Lag. :stunned

Veery short set, but it was great to see them at the fest. Was up at the front so didn't see the size of the crowd, but it felt good up there. Everyone around me was in to it. Two really really drunk dudes kinda stumbling around for the first 20 minutes, bless. They sucked.

5th time seeing this line up, they looked so small up there. But they rocked it.

Yay.

Malkmus & the Jicks had a very small crowd. Had to pick them over Grinderman cause i knew the G were going to be rammed.

But I managed to catch No Pussy Blues after the Jicks, goooood stuff.

Up Wilco.

Jeff as laughing at one point at a guy who got up on somebodys shoulders, he had his shirt off and had "Remember the Mountain Bed" scrawled across his chest with black marker.

I'm not above doing something like this, but I swear it wasn't me. :stunned

> They played Handshake Drugs as well

:-O

with the festival issue, when they first played down here in 2003, it was pretty much a festival tour, but they threw in 2 full shows as well (and the US to Australia is a lot longer than a trip to Ireland!). you'd think they could have done that in Ireland too.. would have been good to throw Mountain bed in there for that dude with it across his chest

with the festival issue, when they first played down here in 2003, it was pretty much a festival tour, but they threw in 2 full shows as well (and the US to Australia is a lot longer than a trip to Ireland!). you'd think they could have done that in Ireland too..

Or possibly even in the UK? :omg

Had a chat with Pat at the Winchester Autumn Defense gig. He said they were using borrowed equipment etc at Electric Picnic so it wasn't a major operation and for that reason none of them felt they were at their best.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a paltry number of songs really isn't it? I had toyed with the idea of going to this festival since it's inception but now I am just too old and ornery to rough it with the "cool kids". :ohwell